Dry Hopper IPA | Granite City Food & Brewery

gcfb.net

Style: American IPA

Added by ZAP on 07-12-2005

3.27/5  rDev 0%

Tarnished copper. 1/2 inch stained white head. Good retention and solid lace properties. Nice aroma. Bong resin, fleshy grapefruit pulp, orange rind and toffee. Taste is off kiliter. Not balanced. It's a little acidic and has a tannic bite to it. Feels unsupported in the mouth. Carbonation is a little too jacked up. Bitterness is very evident, but nothing supports it. The malt is ghostly. Hops contribute some pine sap and sharp citric tones. The more I drink this the less I like it.

Thanks for the effort anyway ZAPMEISTER!!

4.45/5  rDev 0%

First off..props for the highly original name...uhhh, I'm guesing it's dry hopped but it's like asking for a minor miracle to find anyone on staff at this place that has any understanding about what the beer is....a little literature or some education to the wait/servor staff would do wonders..case in point..last time in the bartender tells me about this Belgian they had on tap..kind of like Blue Moon...."cool" I thought...a nice whit would slide down great on this hot 90+ day...I asked if they served it in their big mugs and he said "no" because it is 9% ABV....hell of a whit eh? turns out it was a triple...you can't make this stuff up!!

The beer itself is fantastic....probably the best beer I've had from this place....usually their seasonals are pretty solid and that is where their brewer (who used to be at Sherlocks Home) really shines...(now if they could find a marketing person to actually explain to their clients what the hell he is making it would be great).

Pours a deep gold...nice off white fluffy head...nice mix of citrus and tobacco/canibus hops on the nose....body is medium..about perfect for an IPA..definitely not too thin and definitely not pushing DIPA range despite the heftier ABV...

Taste is 100 times better than their regular IPA...pretty balanced but very tasty...a nice caramel backing and then a little more of the leafy hop flavors on the taste..finishes a little dry and piney....

Drinkability is sky high...I'd love to toss this one side-by-side with Malsa mama for a blind taste test...I'm guessing this would emerge victorious...personally I like it better...one of the better IPA's I've had recently...I recommend trying this one if you can.

I will definitely buy another growler of this if it is still on tap next time through town....this one is legit...I liked it at the pub but had had a few already...now drinking it with a clean palate this really shines..I'm not going to call this the greatest IPA on the planet but I would be shocked if most people wouldn't consider this a top notch IPA....probably leans a little more English or East Coast rather than West Coast but very enjoyable..

Dry Hopper IPA from Granite City Food & Brewery