Hoogstraten Poorter | Brouwerij Sterkens N.V.

Hoogstraten PoorterHoogstraten Poorter

Style: Baltic Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-24-2000

3.89/5  rDev +5.1%

3.54/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.59/5  rDev -30%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

This beer demonstrates the Belgian effort at stouts and porters is nothing to be taken seriously. How this beer can be anything more than a Belgian double might only be because of its black velvet color. I didn't detect and layering of roasted malts; only candy. Not uncommon ... for a different style though. This is not a porter! I have to rate this beer according to it being labeled a porter.
With that out of the way, I would buy it again, though the $13 price seems in justification first it's unique bottle and clever art. Maybe good as a gift for a fellow drinker.

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

4.07/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Found it in a back cellar in a little local grocery store. Liked the bottle, liked the name. Also couldn't say no to a Belgian porter. Best by date was still over a year away from now (8/2016)

Poured a nice black to brown with a tan, fluffy head. Obviously quite carbonated. Held to the light, it has a rust read, brownish hue. Looks good!

Smells sweet, like a sweetened oatmeal. Some fruity tones very apparent. Surprisingly not so much an all dark fruit but of apple and maybe grapes. It has a brightness to it.

The taste really throws me off. It isn't that it is bad. It is good. But I do not sense much roastiness that I look for in a porter. It DOES have a very luminous fruit character, like apples, a little banana, some toned down citrus such as lemon. Maybe some cherry notes. A bit plummy. It is just a bouquet. Which is an interesting point that I was not expecting. There is a touch of roast as it warms but it is very subtle. Maybe a hint of coffee. You can get a sense of the Belgian yeast above the roast and coffee. The yeast seems to eventuate the fruit bouquet.

The mouthfeel is quite effervescent at first. I even felt like I poured it relatively vigorously. The bubbles held on which is a good thing, they mellowed off a bit which was good. The body was medium to light in my opinion. It harkened to the drinkability of an English porter which I do love about it. I'd say it is right about where it needs to be for a Belgian beer and a porter in general. I could have used a pinch more malt thickness though.

Overall, I think the Baltic Porter style listed here must be a mistake. In no way in my mind does it even come close to a Baltic Porter for me. I would much more associate it as an English porter… obviously done in Belgium. The price was a bit steep, but I think the cool stone bottle was worth it for the overall purchase. It's a good story beer and a drinkable interesting one at that. I think this would be a great beer to introduce people to different dark beers and make an interesting presentation at the same time. I might buy this again some day should I see it and have a bit of extra money to spend.

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.94/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.24/5  rDev +14.6%

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

4.16/5  rDev +12.4%

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

3.36/5  rDev -9.2%

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours out dark with an oily skin of a head. Dried fruit aroma , hint of molasses. Taste is on the sweet side, fruit, sugar. Taste dissipated quickly, overall mouthful is slightly watery.

3.6/5  rDev -2.7%

One of the most interesting beers I've ever had. Can't say I enjoyed it too much, but it was a dark porter that was SWEET. I could definitely taste a perfumey, fruity sweetness with every sip. It's almost like licorice. It was a taste I've never had before, but after a while, it started to get to me. The unique flavor threw me off, and I was unsure if I wanted more.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

Hoogstraten Poorter from Brouwerij Sterkens N.V.