Dough Boy

Very Good
Notes:
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 13 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Semi-clear gold with a lumpy fluffy head settling to a thick white blanket leaving stalactite lacing.

Clean and lightly biting of citrus rinds and perfumey hops, Dough Boy is both herbal and floral, finishing semi-dry. The medium crisp body reminds me of a fragrant eucalyptus-like cologne, inoffensively so, with accents of Sweet Tarts as you dig in.

Sabtos from Ohio, Sep 23, 2019
4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

Valley Road Enterprises / Pizza Boy Brewing Co. "Dough Boy"
Sampled from what seems like a 16 fl. oz. can but which is not labeled as such. Coded "FLOUR POWER 11/8/17 13:26".
$3 at the brewery

Notes via stream of consciousness: A rough pour brings up a three finger-thick head of off-white that quickly settles into a creamy two-finger cap. I wasn't sure what to do with this, one of these new fangled NE IPAs, so I poured it rough. Was I suposed to shake the can first? Anyway, it's cloudy like a hefeweizen, and the color's pretty much the same as well. There are no rapidly rising bubbles though. The head has now settles into a rocky one-finger thick cap and there's some nice thick lacing where the head has dropped. The aroma is citrusy but not particularly distinct. If I had to say I'd call it grapefruit and orange with a very light spritz of lemon, and there's some more there as well, perhaps some tropical fruits (pineapple, papaya, mango) and a light touch of pine. It smells good but it's not the brightest hop aroma I've ever come across. On to the flavor... very much the same. Some sweetish malt supports the hops, and that's balanced by a median bitterness that's most noticeable in the finish. There is some residual maltiness though, but that fades momentarily. Seeing as how there are some residual citrusy and piney hops in there at the same time I'd call it a long lingering, mostly dry finish. Back to the hops, I'm finding it more tropical now, with mango, pineapple, and guava. The orange remains, and a little bit of grapefruit. It's lightly spicy and piney and resinous - you get the resinous, or "dank" character in the burp for sure. I'll say the same thing I said about the aroma, the flavor is good but it's not the boldest hoppy beer I've ever tasted. But perhaps that's good! I could certainly drink a good bit of this. And perhaps it's softer carbonatiion comes into play there as well. It's medium in body with a moderate carbonation that leaves it soft and smooth, unlike a standard pale ale that has a little more bite. So being a little less gassy it's maybe a little easier to work through more than one or two. But would I get bored with it? No, I don't think so, certainly no more than a standard pale ale. I could get used to this!

NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania, Nov 21, 2017