Nº2 Barrique | Brasserie Des Garrigues

brasseriedesgarrigues.fr

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Added by BMoldy on 01-12-2012

3.85/5  rDev 0%

Nuit de Goguette (which itself is a stout and not a BSDA, as the BA entry for it states) brewed in Spring 2010, then aged in cognac barrels. 33cl wax-sealed bottle.

A: Nearly pitch-black with a thin light brown head that subsides within a minute. Light, spotty lacing round the glass.

S: Biiig whiff of boozy/fruity cognac hits first, almost suggesting that the ABV is higher than stated. Behind that lies a nearly equally robust aroma of roasted malt (namely chocolate) and a caramel-esque sweetness. The aromas don't necessarily blend, but instead stand next to each other, if that makes any sense.

T/M: The cognac is much less pronounced in the taste, though the body is still pretty round albeit disappointingly thin. I have to admit that I've only had the summer version of NdG (~4% ABV as opposed to the normal 7%), so I'm not completely sure as to how the cognac has affected it. Initial taste is fruity and sweetish, before becoming more roasted and chocolatey in the middle. Finishes with a quick flutter of hops, followed by lingering sweetness and a touch of warming alcohol. Flavors are more integrated than the aroma. Very little to no carbonation.

O: Good, but overall a disappointment. I got this from Simon at La Cave a Bulles in Paris as a trade, so while I'm still happy to have tried (merci Simon!) I'm glad I didn't spend the 8 euros on it. I think it would have benefited from more time in the barrels; and, on a more extreme level, I personally think the base beer needs to be a little bigger in feel in order to truly satisfy the palate. Maybe that's just the American in me, though...

Nº2 Barrique from Brasserie Des Garrigues