TeRYEdactALE | Sly Fox Brewing Company

slyfoxbeer.com

Style: Rye Beer

Added by josefnewsong on 02-28-2010

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Well, I've never been a guy who liked rye beers, but I was at the Sly Fox grand opening and thought I'd try this in my flight. Wow was I glad I did.

A: A nice, medium-red amber with about a half finger of head. Left nice lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Slightly spicy, with almost a hint of a Helles Lager sort of smell in there from the malt. Not too much coming from the hops.

T: Wow. Both the malt and rye come through with the hops coming in on top. Three distinct phases on the tongue with a slightly bitter (and pleasant) aftertaste.

M: Was OK, but nothing to write home about.

D: Let's see... I had it as part of a flight, then got a pint, then a growler and went to my friend's house where we drank it all on his porch. I think that's a 5.0 for drinkability.

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%

TeRYEdactALE has a translucent dark red body and an off-white head that is only about a finger tall and leaves behind no lacing.

The aroma has a good punch of spicy rye with some other malt mixed in with a very earthy hop presence.

TeRYEdactALE has a great malted rye profile. Rye is certainly the strongest flavor in the beer, providing a very spicy, bread-like flavor. A little bit of sweet malt is in there also. Adding a little bit of balance to the big rye bill is a good dose of earthy hops, which complement the rye very nicely. I like the choice of a hop that is more earthy than citric tasting for a rye beer. TeRYEdactALE is a fairly simple beer that is very well done. This is one of the best uses of rye malt that I have come across.

The mouthfeel is a little bit slick on the tongue with a medium body and moderate carbonation.

I will definitely order TeRYEdactALE if I run into it again. It is one of the best Rye beers that I have had, with a good amount of hops that doesn't overpower the malt.

4.01/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Poured a very vibrant amber hue with a touch of red in there for good measure. Had a finger of white head with quite a bit of lacing.

S: A little bit spicy up front. The rye comes across nicely. Behind that crisp malt. It is hard to get both aromas in a rye pale ale but they did it nicely here.

T: I though this beer had amazing balance. The rye was right up front. A little bit of spice to it. The malt balanced it out nicely. Even a little bit of bitterness in the finish.

M: Just light and creamy.

D: Just what the doctor ordered for a 85 degree day. I even ordered a second and skipped the eisbock on tap. I hope to rectify that tomorow but I really liked this beer.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

A - Pours a clear, dark red with two fingers of off-white head that leaves a little bit of lace but not much
S - Huge rye nose, hops (earthy), with some bready malt in the back
T - Taste is as it smells, the rye dominates but there is definitely a significant hop presence and some sweet bready malt to back it all up. Nice and well-balanced.
M - Medium-bodied, but on the thicker side when compared to other Rye Ales I've had. Smooth feel with a crisp hop-finish.
D - yup :)

I tried a sample of this at the Tap and Mallet two nights ago and went back last night for a pint. Easily one of the best Ryes I've had. Very different from but similar in quality to Sixpoint.

TeRYEdactALE from Sly Fox Brewing Company