Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Green Bullet Pale Ale | Sly Fox Brewing Company

3.5/5
Good
1 Rating

Sly Fox Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
slyfoxbeer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by tobelerone on 07-29-2012

3.5/5  rDev 0%

On tap at the Phoenixville brewpub. Pours a very clear gold with slippery lacing and a thin, fizzy looking head without a whole lot of detention.

The aroma has a very mild pale maltiness but is dominated by the smell of the single hop, the green bullet. Notes of spice, pine, earth, and a somewhat unappealing cattiness.

The flavor follows suit. There's a muted lightly sweet malt presence but this beer is all about the hops. Unfortunately for me, I didn't find the green bullet particularly tasty. It's not terrible but it's simply not the most appealing varietal I've come across. There are spice, earth, and resinous pine notes, but there's also that catty..let's be honest..cat piss thing going on. Perhaps that's just my palate and not a true characteristic of this hop, which I understand is used in a lot of lagers in New Zealand. It doesn't seem to work that well as the featured flavor in an American pale ale though.

The body is medium and the carbonation is a little prickly. The mouthfeel lacks a bit of smoothness to boot. An interesting experiment, perhaps, but nothing I'd want to have a second glass of.

Green Bullet Pale Ale from Sly Fox Brewing Company