Adam Und Eric's Neuschottland Schwarz Black Lager | Garrison Brewing Company

garrisonbrewing.com

Style: Schwarzbier

Added by Derek on 08-10-2012

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%

Very true to the style and more Germanic than I expected. Driven in from Halifax last week, so as fresh as possible for this "2011 brew off".

Pours an inky dark red, with impressive off-white head and lots of lacing. The aroma takes me straight back to Germany, with caramelized malt sweetness bordering on toffee, and the dark edges I associate with a schwarz bier. The flavour is sweet with an underlying hop bitterness. That bitterness coexists nicely with the roasted malt tones of coffee and ripe fruit.

Not a style I’d choose every day, but this is a good example and I’m very glad to have purchased!

A: Deep, deep chestnut with a very light tan head, good retention & lace.

S: Sponge toffee, roasted nut, herbal, floral, hint of rye bread.

T: Rye bread, caramel, herbal, roasted nut, toast (some mealy melanoidin here), blackberry, modest bitterness.

M: Fairly full body for a 5% brew, but it's very bready, without too much residual sweetness.

O: I really like this, and it's surprisingly Germanic for a domestic brew, but I'd say it's more of a dunkel.

Adam Und Eric's Neuschottland Schwarz Black Lager from Garrison Brewing Company