Prickly Pear Ate | Freetail Brewing Company

Freetail Brewing Company
Texas, United States
freetailbrewing.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by jamescain on 11-11-2011

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

3.26/5  rDev -10.7%

On tap at the brewpub shortly after the La Muerta bottle release.

Like all of the Freetail prickly pear beers, this one pours a pinkish red color with a small white head. A very odd looking beer. The aroma is heavy on the prickly pear with some light tartness mixed in. The flavor is more of the same. I get a lot of pickled cactus notes, as well as a little bit of sweetness from the cactus and some tartness from the base beer. The fruit makes the tartness more subdued than in regular Ate’, which I think makes this beer not as enjoyable. Medium mouthfeel and low carbonation. Overall, this beer is just weird, but I am glad I got to try it.

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into a sniffer.

Appearance: Pours a clear bright pink with a light pink-whitish head about a centimeter thick that slowly fades to a thin ring around the center.

Aroma: Sour acidic notes with subtle prickly pear aroma. Spicy and earthy with a hint of funk.

Taste: Lactic acid, tart with most of the flavor dominated by the prickly pear.

Mouthfeel: Tart up front with a sour, slightly astringent finish.

Overall: I prefer the regular Ate, I think this one had too much prickly pear for me.

Prickly Pear Ate from Freetail Brewing Company