Wäls Gioia | Cervejaria Wäls

Added by DoubleJ on 08-06-2011

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 3
2.36/5  rDev +0.4%

Unknown bottle size, thanks Jon,

A: Pours a light clear yellow with a thin white head, some lace.

S: Butter bomb, diacetyl takes over on the first whiff, I feel like I'm in a movie theater. Some grassy hops come out later, but coming back to it a 3rd time, the popcorn is dominating.

T: Grassy hops with some DMS and asparagus with butter poured on top. Tastes a bit like an old bottle of German Helles.

M: Light-bodied and thin, somewhat crisp.

O: The Wals Quad was a masterpiece, so I'm thinking this is just a bad blip on the radar of an otherwise excellent brewery.

2.38/5  rDev +1.3%

I can never turn down a Wäls, and my friend Sergio was there to offer this one-time release, which is a homage to the Italian immigration to Brazil. Supposedly it's double dry hopped too. So excited. On to the beer:

Looks a very pale gold in color with little head and a tiny amount of lace that sticks to the glass. Given it looks similar to what I recall X-Wäls, I'm anticipating better in its other characterists. Unfortunately, they don't seem to come. The nose is a diacetyl bomb at first, which slowly cools off but still dominat. A little fruity in there too. I can live with this, but in no sense it's per the pilsner style.

And we have diacetyl in the taste as well. With the exception of a tiny floral note, I could have closed my eyes and announced that this was a product of England. Like the nose, this is interesting in a weird way, but not exactly what I was looking for. The beer comes in light with a fuzzy crispness that's more similar to what I find in a light macro lager. Or perhaps it's the diacetyl that lingers whcih is lowering my impression with the mouthfeel.

Gioia means joy in Italian. Infelizimente, this doesn't bring much joy. Given the high standard promised by its stablemates, something had to have gone wrong before it hit my palate.

Wäls Gioia from Cervejaria Wäls