A Shot In The Dark | Terminal Brewhouse

Terminal Brewhouse
Tennessee, United States
terminalbrewhouse.com

Style: American Porter

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by Vdubb86 on 12-31-2011

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 5
Reviews by Vdubb86:
3.93/5  rDev +7.4%

Served in a nonic pint glass

Stopped in Chattanooga on a road trip and saw this place got good reviews so I thought that I'd check it out.

This beer is an Espresso Porter. At least that is how it's marketed. A shot of espresso in every glass, or something like that. Being that it is their seasonal offering how could I refuse it. The appearance is that it is passable by light but still quite dark brown in color. There is a clarity to it as well. The initial aroma doesn't truly give off much of a scent aside from the roast, in fact I commented on how similar the nose was with the oatmeal stout. Then I tasted it. Holy Cow there is a lot of espresso in this. This is iced coffee with a kick. To the point where my girlfriend, not a beer fan (but a huge coffee lover), thought it was great but strong on the coffee even for her. I must admit more than one glass of this beer would get overwhelming but the initial experiences with it were good enough. Aside from the espresso bitterness it's actually quite smooth. Overall a great find in Chattanooga. Also it should be noted that this was what I chose to leave with a growler of.

3.6/5  rDev -1.6%

Served in a nonic pint glass.

Thanks to VDubb86 for lugging this growler home from the Volunteer State!

I'm always up for a new coffee porter, especially if it's from a growler from a brewery I'll likely never see in my time. Yup. It pours a very dark black-brown topped by a bit over a finger of golden tan foam. The nose comprises coffee, mild roasted malts, very light cocoa powder, and a bit of peanut brittle. The taste delivers the coffee, but skimps on everything else: It all comes in faint, muted in a way. The peanut brittle comes through stronger somehow, though... The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a surprisingly thin feel. Overall, a nice little beer, but a bit on the wimpy side for my liking.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%