Devil's Advocate | New Belgium Brewing

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2004

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

02/05/05- On tap at the Toronado in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- 12 oz tulip glass...

Appearance- Nice semi-cloudy opaque golden-orange colored pour. Very nice 1/2 inch bright white head and average lacing.

Smell- I could already tell I was going to like this one from the smell. Malt, hops, even a sweet honey like scent. Spices and cloves and too much stuff going on here.

Taste- Just copy the smell onto here. Light cloves and spices start it off with a nice sweetness. Heavy sweet malt action with a nice hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel- Moderate carbonation and a heavier mouthfeel.

Drinkability- I had no clue this guy was 10% until just now. I would have thought about 7.5% or so. Extremely well hidden. Good job New Belguim. Possible the best non-european belgiun I have had to date. I will be getting this again.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

This comes out the color of yellow pine, a few years worn. Light.
Little head, no lace.
Smells of barleycorn, and light barley malt. It strikes me as a little musty, like a new camembert.
Barley chew, yeah. A hop flower then the alcohol cuts over everything. Whoa, it's sweet. It's like beer hard candy. Umm. There's some decent hop dryness to this that comes about after a few sips. That chewy barley strikes some nuttiness, pine nuts, raw virginia peanuts. The alcohol provides quite a bite. My wife loved this. I liked it. I could sip this for a good long while with friends.

Devil's Advocate from New Belgium Brewing