Otay Dunkel Weizen | Ellicott Mills Brewing Company

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by claytri on 09-19-2005

Reviews by ralree:
2.14/5  rDev 0%

I tried this beer in early August '07 (around the 8th I believe). I received it and sniffed it, and found that the smell was awesome. It was pretty dark and murky with a tan head. But, upon tasting, I immediately was overwhelmed by the flavor of soap. Now, maybe that's how this style is supposed to taste, but I thought it was terrible. The alcohol was immediately unleashed over the already disgusting soap taste. The drinkability is hindered by the overwhelming alcohol taste. I may have to try a completely different Dunkel Weizen to make sure I am not firmly against this style, but currently this is one of the worst beers I've tried. So far, Ellicott Mills has been hit and miss - mostly hit.

4.57/5  rDev 0%

The beer poured a dark cloudy caramel with a tan head. The aroma was exceptional being my favorite sweet caramel malt. The taste held up the promise and delivered sweet malt with a hint of vanilla. The feel was creamy and surprisingly dry. This beer was well worth the trip to Ellicott City, and erased many of the bad memories of the Illuminator.

Otay Dunkel Weizen from Ellicott Mills Brewing Company