Layla Dirty Blonde Lager

View: Beers
Reviews: 37 | Ratings: 39 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by bluejacket74:
3.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear amber color with a very small white head which goes away very quickly. The aroma isn't strong, but it smells like toasted malt and caramel. It tastes the same, except there's some nuttiness and some hops too. Mouthfeel is light and a bit watery, but it's also smooth. Drinkability is good, it's refreshing and easy to drink. It has just enough taste to make it interesting, it's not a bad choice as a session beer if you wanted something that wasn't overpowering but still has more taste than regular macro lagers.

3.5/5  rDev +11.5%

Light/medium bodied, nice clear copper color with a moderate white head that vanishes immediately.

The aroma is mild - grainy, grassy.

Taste is slightly toasted malt, a hint of hops bite at the finish. It starts slightly sweet but finishes mildly dry.

Drinkable and refreshing, altogether a decent lager. (Also Kosher)

2.78/5  rDev -11.5%

I saw this beer at my local store and was very shocked to see it came from Israel. How could I pass up the opportunity to try an Israeli beer? Even though it was a bit pricey I decided to give it a try. The pour was a murky copper color which surprised me because I was thinking that this was going to be a pale lager. But then I looked on the bottle, its a "dirty" blonde lager. Well, that's a good way to describe it. The smell was nice with a strong toasted grain flavor and a caramel sweetness. I noticed hops on the smell but they seemed to be very weak. There was an added off flavor which I would equate to DMS in the smell. That flavor seemed to follow in taste esp. in the finish. The taste was nice at first, really caramelly sweet, but after awhile it was cloying and too sweet for my liking. Maybe because this was an older bottle the hops were too degraded but this beer definitely needed a little more on the hoppiness. There was also a little metallic flavor in the body. This is a thick beer esp. for a lager. The aftertaste lingered and was not really pleasant. I'm glad I tried it but I'm not going to get this one again.

3.03/5  rDev -3.5%

An Isreali beer. Who knew? Not a bad beer. It has a dark amber colorwith a nice head that doesn't seem to want to retain all too much. a caramel smell leads to a caramel taste. I detect slight hops, but not enough to notice all to much. It's an average beer. I would put it in the same catergory as Labatt's Blue.

2.62/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

11.2 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Surely a dirty blonde color to the body, yes, but with hardly any appearance of carbonation and little head and / or retention, the name doesn't hold up so well.

Smell: Malt sweetness in the nose with some interesting sourness, and perhaps a bit of candi sugar or yeast, since something's piquing my interest but not lasting a long time.

Taste: I'm not sure if I'm getting residual or adjunct-like sweetness or if there's just not enough punch for the quality to come through, but there's malt sweetness that doesn't lend itself to visceral or quality-like characteristics very much unfortunately. Little to no hop flavors, and an interesting fruit sourness near the end, but the finish is transient and fairly non-existent.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium-bodied, though with the lack of carbonation it feels more toward the latter, and more watery than it needs to be, with little carbonation even at the end.

Drinkability: I got a single bottle of this for the name and the country and hopefully for something different, and though I'm glad I tried it, I wouldn't try it again if I had a choice. A pretty below average brew all around, and nothing more.

4.09/5  rDev +30.3%

It's not often I get to try a beer from a country I've never had anything from before, I think only my 2nd in the last year (Ethiopia was the 1st!). Anyway, on pouring, not much head and seemingly little carbonation (that's a bonus as I hate the bite of artificially added CO2); copper coloured and a bit darker than expected. Yeasty, slightly hoppy aroma. Gentle hop and malt flavour, clean-tasting and easy-drinking. Slightly bitter aftertaste.

Basically a nice beer, good either for just one or for a session.

3.08/5  rDev -1.9%

It pours a crystal clear deep ingot gold, a touch more memorable than a typical macro. A finger of thin white head drops off to fine fizzy froth. Dots of lacing polka across the inside of the glass.

The aroma carries a light malt sweetness with berry and biscuit. The hops bring a mild noble tang, and pepper tries to mitigate a metallic tang, but a spray of skunk nonetheless comes through.

Upon tasting, a moderate malt sweetness is rounded with berry and biscuit. It may not actually be in there, but a taste of corn flashes by. The character crisps as the hops spice lightly and a tinny edge hones a fair bitterness. A nip of yeast precedes a rather dull, dry finish. It's utterly average, not offensive, and forgotten once it's gone.

Light bodied, it actually has a slicker feel than expected, and it coats amiably with a carbonated pep.

It's usually not a good sign when I don't care if I have another of a given beer. Ambivalence aside, it speaks of adjuncts, assumedly with none truly present, and just doesn't have enough to get out of its own so-so way. Granted, it's decently refreshing and it goes down with nary a thought, but you know, so does water. I finished it, and I have five left. I'll drink it, or I won't. I honestly don't care one way or the other.
Oh, and it definitely cannot hang with good barbecue. Trust me on this.

2.06/5  rDev -34.4%

Received from a colleague as a gift.

Looks ok with a golden auburn hue topped with ivory cap, but it's all downhill from there!

Smells like old pears, tastes like old pears.

Best before: NSN66.

This is some rough stuff. I hope that it toughens up their army troops!

2.32/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

The color is light amber and without any haze. The head leaves some nice lace although it dies quickly.

This smells like freezer burn--that kind of smell from something that has sat in the freezer for over a year. I can detect very light malt, little else.

The flavor is an improvement from the smell. The flavor is flat, although I taste the light malt. Very round (like an ale), moderate body (like skim milk), and very high carbonation--perhaps the most I've ever had.

Certainly far better than the mass produced lagers in North America and Europe. Still, this is a dull beer which might take care of your thirst but not your tastebuds.

3.72/5  rDev +18.5%

11.2fl oz bottle procured as a single. Pours into my glass a crystal clear amber, slightly brown color with only a bit of fizzy white head that quickly falls to nothing. Aromas start with toasted grains upfront along with a light caramel nuttiness and a touch of coffee even. Mellow spicy hops as an afterthought. Interesting to say the least...clean, crisp and pleasant.

First sip brings a toasted grain malt right off the bat along with a touch of caramel and some light fruity and nutty flavors as well. Flows down with a little green hop bitterness on the back of the palate. A pretty tasty lager that is nicely balanced and finishes clean.

Mouthfeel is smooth and light with a fizzy, fast moving carbonation. Easy to drink and refreshing. Overall, this was a pretty tasty lager with a some nice subtle flavors hidden within. Much better than your standard pale euro lager...I could see myself drinking this again if the situation presented itself. Check it out if you can find it...this is probably my first brew from Israel.

2.66/5  rDev -15.3%

11.2oz poured into a pilsner. Best before date not clearly indicated.

Light copper with steady carbonation supporting a two finger head that shows strong retention. Sticky.

Toast, grains, and caramel in the nose. Some tea like aromas as well.

Light caramel malt upfront, but there is an off, almost acidic note that quickly turns astringent. Dry and somewhat hoppy finish, but the transition is awkward.

The mouthfeel suffers from the biting flavors, and abundant carbonation. Not impressed enough to desire another.

3.38/5  rDev +7.6%

From Osage Beach HyVee 33 cL bottle best before N5N66 ( June 6 '06?)
Tastes fresh and am pleased to find it fresh tasting. Brewed from Belgium malts and Bavarian Hops with the local water source from the Judean Mountain Aquifer.
Pours

Sour fruity yeast aroma a little unusual for a lager.

2.46/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Dirty blonde, eh? Well, looks like a nice clear amber to me, topped by a decent white head – died just a bit too quickly.

NOT digging the euro skunksmells, and that quaff was a gagger – harsh, woody, and full of crappy cooked veggies. Wow, I feel sorry if this is all that is available in the mid east. Pretty much a euro skunk (not lite struck) fest.

Got this from my great niece, and I appreciate the taste – but I wouldn’t buy this.

3.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Has a pretty good head that stays for the life of the beer in the glass. Darker than your average macro pale lager... which I guess makes sense for the style. Golden color, white head... blah blah blah.
Smells pretty clean, lightly malterd with some fermented fruit in there. Nothing striking, nothing offensive.
Tastes mild and on the sweet side; quite a bit like a Helles lager now that I think about it. Not hoppy sharp like a pilsner, but juicier.
A downside, as far as I'm concerned, is the mouthfeel. There is a chalkyness there that I dont dig. Still, mostly dry in the finish, enough carbonation...
Not bad when cold, but probably not terribly wonderful for what you're likely goind to spend on it.

Appearance- Poured about a one finger head. Dirty blode is a perfect description of the color of this beer. Looks like a liquid color of my sister's natural hair color. With decent lacing throughout eer consumption.

Smell- Light malt and hops mix. But theres something else that I honestly can't put my finger on that I like in this smell.

Taste- Typical mix of hops and malt but with more emphasis on malt, which is what made this lager a surprisingly good beer.

M & D- Very light but a more pronounced malty sweetness on the palate. Would love to have many of these over the course of an evening.

2.79/5  rDev -11.1%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a hefe glass. Dark copper color with minimal head and no lacing. Smell is malty sweet with a slight strawberry presence. Taste is a mild malt, with more of the berry sweetness. Very low carbonation, just barely feel it on the tip of my tongue. I'm not sure if it's not supposed to have a lot of carbonation or if it's just flat. This looked interesting in the mix and match section, I doubt I'll get it again.

2.76/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A pretty enough brew- golden, a good amount of head that stays for a while, pretty clear. Not un-appealing. Smell and taste are pretty basic, some sweetness and maltyness, not too much in the way of hops. Kinda reminds me of a slightly less tasty PBR, but you can actually let this guy warm a little without being afraid of it. Mouthfeel is kind of bleh, nothing exciting. Overall easy to drink, and I could have a few, but this is an unexciting brew on the whole.

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

First impressions - the taste is rather doughy/yeasty, but not much else. Appearance is standard fare; nothing note worthy, but nothing bad either. Fortunately, Layla is rather refreshing, and I can imagine it appealing to someone who likes lagers. Hops seem to be almost non-existent, and I personally find Layla lacking in any character. That doesn’t mean it’s a bad beer by any means, it’s just fairly average.

I definitely would not purchase this beer again, but I also wouldn’t turn it down if the only alternative is the American Macro-breweries. Might be worth checking out if you happen to like this style, but otherwise, I’d pass.

3.74/5  rDev +19.1%

A beer from Isreal called Layla with a guitar drawn on the label? Okay, sure, I guess so.
Pours dark rust and headless with a hoppy nose speckled with caramel malt and yeast .
Fresh tasting with a clean finish. The beer shows surprising balance for a macro lager and has a mild body that is still satisfying, like a decent English ale.
Wish we knew the abv but this is tasty enough with a sessionable character to it.

3.13/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light copper color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of caramelized malts and pale hops but they don’t seem to mix very well.

T: The taste starts out bready with a little sweetness, containing flavors of grain, caramel and nuts. There’s a decent hops presence that comes in to provide some balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and very crisp, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Tasty and it seemed to get better as I drank it, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, in a style that usually doesn’t do too much to impress a beer-drinker, this beer isn’t that bad. I could drink a few, but wouldn’t pick it if I had a decent group to choose from.

2.75/5  rDev -12.4%

3.07/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured copper with a thin bubbly head that almost immediately disappeared to a few bubbles. It left virtually no lacing.
The smell was thin - some vague hops and a touch of sweet malt.
The taste was on the watery side. Some hops and grains hint at emerging, but never really manifest themselves fully. Rather bland on the whole, but not much in the way of offensive either.
The label claims that it is full-bodied, but medium-bodied would actually be a stretch.
It is fairly smooth, but more from the wateriness than from the flavor. There was nothing especially bad about it, but nothing stood out either. It's a mediocre brew, at best.

3.65/5  rDev +16.2%

Foamy, light-colored beer...head didn't last too long. I've been trying to think of a comparable beverage taste...it almost reminds me of a citrus/apple cider mix. Don't get me wrong - this is a very good beer...I just didn't know what to expect. It was very light - would probably be good as an after-dinner brew.

2.13/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - this brew pours a maple syrup brown with moderate carbonation, and thin 1/4 finger off-white head

S - i read some past reviews, and wow, this does smell metallic-y, and a malty sweetness aroma, and a sulfuric smell that is like the one reserved for a freshly sliced deli ham

T - wow, a bit waterier than i assumed and a strong malty sweetness, too sweet for me, i need that hoppy kick

M - too sweet without bitterness, but it feels like it should be bitter,
weird

D - lower, too sweet, not very drinkable, it would be better with a mood

2.58/5  rDev -17.8%

Pour was a medium copper hue. A minor head of white color vanished almost as soon as pour was finished. Decent amount of medium sized carbonation bubbles. Only a few clupms of lacing.

An aroma combination of malth and hops leaves me looking for something a little more balanced. A slight finish in my nose of alchol soaked fruit.

The taste was, for lack of a better word, average. A bland blend of fruit and malt. The finish is a light plastic flavor under a malt extract taste.

A slight watery body. Almost no carbonation feeling on the surfaces of the mouth.

Just an slightly less then average beer. It would refresh on a hot day, only for it's very watery taste and body. I would only serve this with food as a last resort, since almost any pairing is going to leave the food feeling overpowered.

Layla Dirty Blonde Lager from Ibbl Ashkelon / Tank Beer