Honey Ale | Court Avenue Brewing Company

Awaiting More Ratings

Court Avenue Brewing Company
Iowa, United States
courtavebrew.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by BuckeyeNation on 07-26-2006

1.7/5  rDev 0%

A- Coppery, red, no head, film with no lacing.
S- I sat outside with non smokers around and I could not detect any appealing smells, maybe a little sweetness honey and faint malt but that is reaching.
T- More of the same. Like sweet water. It was not bad but not remarkable in any sense. Slight sweet with a tiny dash of malt that was only detectable for a split second. It honestly tasted like sweet water.
M- The mouth was OK, again really unremarkable and watery light.
D- The drinkability was ok I guess, if you like your beer to taste like nothing. Definatly for the crowd that think beers should be muted/no flavor. In my mind the Honest Lawyer IPA I had after made this seem all the worse! I have been enjoying beers here for years, but this is a really weak offering.

2.63/5  rDev 0%

Lucent orange with a generous shot of blood red. Shouldn't a honey ale be some shade of amber? Actually, the beer didn't taste like a honey ale, so I'm not surprised that it didn't look like one either. The ecru head was a slim one finger to start, fell to a barely covering film in mere minutes and left nothing more than dribs and drabs of lace. Not a great start.

I had a hard time appreciating much of any nose. The bar was a bit smoky, but not enough to have prevented me from smelling something if it had been present. My notes say 'mildly toasted malty, no honey'. That's the best I can do.

Honey Ale had two major problems. First, it was seriously undermalted. Second, it didn't taste like honey. Whenever a beer doesn't taste like its intended style, I always try to mention what it does taste like. In this particular case, that isn't an easy call. A bitter Oktoberfest? A bastardized Amber Ale? Dunno.

Each mouthful was moderately sweet for a second or two and then became significantly bitter. It wouldn't have been so bad if the flavor had been the least bit hoppy, but the bitterness was unassociated with any flavor whatsoever. It was as if the brewers added a few crushed aspirin to each pint glass. The flavor consisted of mildly toasted (Munich?) malt with somewhat earthy hops.

I noted a faint flash of sourness of the finish, a finish that was clean, 'old hops' bitter and undermalted dry. The body/mouthfeel was light-medium, not the least bit smooth or creamy and overcarbonated to boot.

Honey Ale was not especially enjoyable beer, although it was drinkable. The least the brewers could have done was to create a sweet, honey-like beer rather than a bitter, honey-less one. It's becoming more and more clear that Court Avenue is in third place with respect to brewpubs in this city, behind Rock Bottom and Raccoon River and ahead of the pathetic Granite City. Stick with one of the standard offerings if you see Honey Ale on the chalkboard above the bar.

Honey Ale from Court Avenue Brewing Company