American Wheat | Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

fatheadscleveland.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by jampics2 on 11-09-2010

3.16/5  rDev 0%

On tap at Fat Heads. Served in a half-liter German beer glass.

Described on the menu as: "A light gold American wheat beer. A very smooth and soft maltiness balanced by a light dosing of hops.
A nice beer to go with one of our salads."

4.6% ABV, 15 IBU.

This beer looks nice in the glass. There's some really noticeable active carbonation. The beer is like a stained glass window; I could read a book through the transparent gold color. It looks very light around the edges, like apple juice and water. But I expected this to be light, so it's OK. There is little head, but the pour wasn't the best. Some cling and lace are noted. A good start.

Things start to fall apart with the smell. This beer has the most simple, straightforward smell I've encountered in a while. Just a touch of wheat is noted, but it's neither appetizing nor expressive. There is a mild touch of flowery noble hop in the aroma, but even that is subdued. This is just not a beer that I enjoy smelling - there are no real wheat qualities or grain coming through. Everything is in the background. Strange, even Budweiser Golden Wheat has mild spices.

The taste is sweeter than expected from the smell. There is a touch of hoppy bitterness from the mild hops. The taste, in a word, is disjointed. Sweet malt and noble hops and water are the three elements. When the mild flavor peaks (over a bunny hill, not a mountain of flavor), I sense a bitter buzz on the tip of my tongue but then I'm left high and dry. I was hoping there would be more to this, more wheat malt or a touch of tartness or even noble hop prominence would be appreciated.

To make matters worse, the mouthfeel is off on this beer. The carbonation is through the roof and the body is light as can be. The body is OK, but I expect wheat to add a touch of creaminess. This is easily consumed, but the beer just lacks any personality at all. Even the Golden Wheat beer from the Mr. Beer Kit has more personality than this. A dumbed-down and bland offering that Fat Heads should avoid remaking. The excellent Starlight Lager should keep the BMC drinkers happy.

American Wheat from Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon