Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Rauch | The Monk Brewery & Kitchen

Style: Rauchbier

Added by lacqueredmouse on 05-05-2011

2.5/5  rDev -14.7%

3.28/5  rDev +11.9%

Had on-tap at the Monk on a recent trip to Perth. I loved the location, sitting out in the open, next to the street in Fremantle on the big wooden bench-style tables. Gorgeous evening.

Had this one to match with my steak.

Pours a reddish brown colour, with a creamy-coloured fine film. Lacing is intricate. Looks a little flat overall, but solid enough.

Grainy, rugged and smoky on the nose, but with a slight sweetness which is a little overblown. I like the smoke character, but I feel like it needed a bit more support.

Taste is smooth, but the sweetness comes in here again. Some smoky flavours, but the main event is a buttery sweetness. Finish is dry and chalky, which would be a fine finale, but it comes a little too late, after the sweetness has won the day.

Too sweet, and not enough raw smoky power. It's drinkable enough, but not overly enjoyable. It felt a little thin and pedestrian after a while. Worth trying, but I wish I had have picked another from their roster to try.

Next time...