Chocolate Wild Experimental Ale | Black Raven Brewing Co.

90%

4.02/5  rDev +3.6%

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

4.07/5  rDev +4.9%

A - Very dark brown; more along the lines of a quad than a stout.

S - Faint plain chocolate and Single Malt on the nose. Not picking up a whole lot else.

T - I'd expected perhaps some sourness or funkiness (there's none) due to its billing as a wild ale, however reading the flyer makes it clear that it is technically a wild ale nonetheless. As a result it is not as bizarre tasting as I had expected. Pretty tasty and pretty sane. To me it tastes like a chocolate belgian dark ale. I've never had Chocolate Indulgence but I can imagine it tasting like this. Caramel and chocolate malts are clearly present. Has a tiny amount of heather honey sweetness with cocoa bite to round out the sip.

M - Sleak with decent carbonation but a little thin. Not quite the creamy consistency I favour to accompany a chocolate flavour profile.

O - Very easy drinking at 10% and certainly interesting to try. Does it work? Yes, but not as naturally as a chocolate flavoured stout. I had Southern Tier's Choklat two days ago and I'd take that every time. Definitely try it though, if you get the chance.

Chocolate Wild Experimental Ale from Black Raven Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 90% out of 100 with 10 ratings