Black Raven III - Malt & Vine 3rd Anniversary | Black Raven Brewing Co.

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Black Raven Brewing Co.
Washington, United States
blackravenbrewing.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by barleywinefiend on 06-27-2010

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 9
2.43/5  rDev -32.3%

A beautiful two finger golden pour into a chalice glass.
Aromas are initially of pale and biscuity malt but quickly shift to the typical Belgian yeast smells of clove, herbal notes and spiciness. Some citrus hoppiness presents itself as well.
The taste is horrendous; totally dominated by yeast. Did I mention I HATE HATE HATE beers that just taste like Belgian yeast; what's the point honestly. I'll go drink a package of Wyeast if I wanted this; no malt balance. This beer caused continuous gaseous burps which also tasted like cloves and spicy yeast.
Overall, this was a huge waste of money. I wonder if it tasted better fresh when it was released last May, but the quality should have held up due to the style and the ABV. Frankly I will move on to my next beer in hopes to block this from my memory.

4.3/5  rDev +19.8%

Had on tap at Malt & Vine. I enjoy the store a great deal, I just wish my LBS would have taps too.

A- Hazy golden yellow orangish appearance. There was no head as I got a very very full glass. I'm not complaining one bit, because the beer was tasty.

S- Smelled great, a bit of lemon and grapefruit. A good deal of bready earthyness.

T- This is complex. I was told that the beer was something along the lines of a sour farmhouse rye wheat wine. There is a definite sour note in the beer, a good hit of lemon and orange. The rye is a nice touch, gives the beer a great earthyness. It reminds me almost of a Bière de Garde style of beer with the flavors. The wheat wines I've had have all been more of an imperial hefe. This one is excellent. BR makes some tasty stuff, and I'm glad I snagged a bottle.

M- Good amount of carbination to carry the flavors and keep things moving.

D- Very drinkable, and at 9% this one will sneak up on you. Tasty!

4.2/5  rDev +17%

A: Poured a hazy gold color with good carbonation and a nice white head

S: Orange peel and coriander with some honey, rye and pepper, sourness

T: Wow. Orange peel, coriander are most noticable upfront then some pepper and rye come in with some honey and grass. Has a wheatwine character but not nearly as syrupy or sweet

M: A lighter to medium carbonation and its smooth. this beer had a lot going on. Booze is masked by massive amounts of flavor

D: Drinkable, yes indeed

Black Raven III - Malt & Vine 3rd Anniversary from Black Raven Brewing Co.