Victory At Sea - Bread Pudding

4.66 | pDev: 4.94%
From:
Ballast Point Brewing Company

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Notes:
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 12 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.82/5  rDev +3.4%

Catching up with reviews, had this in May 2015. All the elements of Bread pudding in a porter, cinnamon, nutmeg, sweet but not cloying. Absolutely delicious and super smooth for 10%. I love regular [email protected] and this is a great adjunct, I hope they bottle this at some point.

4.49/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Taste like bread pudding. Smells like bread pudding. It must be bread pudding. I'm happy that I was able to get a pour of these at their tasting room. It was refreshing to try the variants of [email protected] being that I'm a big fan of [email protected] It's just naturally a great every day stout and it can never do any wrong. The bread pudding [email protected] variant definitely was one of the ones which stood out for me vs. all the other variants. It has everything you dig about the original [email protected] but the major difference here is towards the end of your sip, the bread pudding flavor kicks in and leaves a nice taste to your mouth. Anyways, I really wish they would do bottling of the various [email protected] but you can for damn sure know that this should be at the top of the list of what they bottle first. This or some Barrel-Aged [email protected] :) Cheers!

4.61/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

On tap at the Public House, the restaurant bar built into the Giants' ballpark (set beneath a stadium draped in yet more championship banners), pouring at a Ballast Point tap-takeover during yet another overwhelming, epic, almost embarrassingly good SF Beer Week.

(What do you want, West Ashley? Vietnamese Speedway? Victory at Sea varietals? Toronado 25th Anniversay? Cable Car? Cascade sours? Pugachev's Cobra? Utopias three-year vertical? Nelson, Duet, Hoppy Birthday? Pliny the Younger? All of them, and many, many more, all flowing somewhere around the Bay Area this week. Almost unfair.)

Bread pudding in a glass. They absolutely nailed the flavor. You like sweet novelty beers? Yeah, me too. My kind of beer. My favorite of the VAS varietals so far.

No need to throw out a bunch of impressionistic flavor descriptors ("...warm buttered challah, aftershave balm, zucchini rind, hints of Pacific North West regional beachwood, probably more northern Oregon than southern..."), none of that necessary.

Just imagine you ordered bread pudding for dessert at a restaurant, and they pureed and poured it into the glass in front of you. Tastes like that.

4.9/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I had this on tap at Ballast Point Little Italy a few months ago but was just looking through my ratings and figured I had to add a review because this beer was out of this world good. It was a thick beast of a beer that they magically made taste EXACTLY like bread pudding. I was completely blown away by the first sip because I really didn't expect the bread pudding would come through very much, but man was I wrong. I sincerely hope that Ballast Point considers brewing this beer again because it was about the best beer I have ever had and I'm certain it will be the best porter I will have for a long time to come. If you enjoy sweet stouts/porters you have to try this beer. Absolutely incredible.

Victory At Sea - Bread Pudding from Ballast Point Brewing Company