Watermelon Dorado | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by crob3888 on 06-23-2015

Reviews: 219 | Ratings: 860
2.31/5  rDev -31.5%

Look: Copper hue. Good lacing.
Smell: Cloying, syrupy aroma that masks the grapefruit and pine of the base beer.
Taste: Obnoxiously sweet. Between the hefty malt bill and the addition of watermelon, this beer tastes syrupy and cloying. Very displeasing.
Feel: Same as the original: big mouthfeel with mild CO2.
Overall: This is a good example of "too much". In my opinion, the watermelon needs to be dialed back a lot, because this beer tastes like syrup. "Beerup" is probably how I'd describe it. Way too sweet to the point of being sickening.

3.79/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a darker gold with lots of carbonation visible as this beer is pretty clear. Has a bone colored head that was rather large in size with large soapy bubbles. The head was pretty solid and lasting in nature.

The smell was a bit earthy with some pine and citrus coming out to the nose.

The taste was of pine mixed with a faint hint of watermelon. Some citrus comes out on the tongue as well.

Mouth feel borders on medium yet finishes fairly crisp.

The beer is nicely done and hides the 10% ABV very well. I was just looking forward to more watermelon flavor and I was getting more of a pine filled very well done IPA flavor. The watermelon is there, however it was on the fainter side of the flavor reception.

3.68/5  rDev +9.2%

Hmmm...All I can say is that watermelon is an interesting flavor to put with hops. I'm not inclined to put bitter with the watery sweetness of this melon. This one moves to much towards eating the rind, which is not a place that I venture much in my summer melon indulgences. I like the aroma more than the taste with the soft hints of melon and the less intense hop presence and none of the bitter. Looks fine and feels fine too. Alcohol subtle considering the size and all, although it warms the gut quickly. I'm fine I bought a 6-er, but I doubt I'd buy one again.

4.17/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

It looks like I'm one of the few people that really likes this brew. It's definitely a watermelon-heavy, hoppy, and slightly bitter beer, but it's very well done. Not really sweet, but that's a good thing. Need to get more of it.

2.85/5  rDev -15.4%

Quite a strong beer for my taste, hate the smell it just smelled like an overripe watermelon to me(and I hate watermelon even a day after cutting it, it's fresh or nothing for me) taste almost like a mixed drink but suuppper bitter aftertaste that's overwhelming to the point of making me fret taking another sip even though the taste isn't bad at first and the feel is great. Much more cloudy feel than look , definitely summery which is nice any time of year but I do prefer to stick to seasonal beers most of the time, never anything too bitter, then again maybe that was my mistake here, getting a DIPA but hyvee had it on sale for 5$ cuz it's date was getting close, but that's the only way I can afford beers that typically cost 3$ per. Lol

1.93/5  rDev -42.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.25

Smell: Actually kind of good, like sweet potato or what it smells like outside of a brewery. Maybe malt? Fair amount of watermelon. However the pine is very overwhelming. Overall the combination of smells is kind of confusing and disjointed.
Taste: Awful. It's just pine and the sweet potato/fermenting smell but too overwhelming to be refreshing. Not that bitter because the pine is just too strong. I don't really get the watermelon.
Feel: Actually alright, it feels very substantial, probably from being a DIPA. I guess there's watermelon in the aftertaste but I don't really know how to look for it in the taste. It's hard to notice because I'm used to watermelon being sweet and it's hard to find the watermelon taste without sweetness.
Overall: I like the smell but hate the taste.

3.47/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I'm a huge fan of Ballast Point; they have some incredible brews. Watermelon Dorado is just a bit confusing. It's not a great refreshing fruit example and it's not a great DIPA. The watermelon is a bit heavy handed and the alcohol takes over the hops. The 10% ABV gets the job done quickly but beer just tries to accomplish too much. The more you drink it the more palatable the watermelon becomes. Stone's Tangerine IPA is the gold standard of a fruited IPA and this one just can't quite live up to that standard.

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

12 oz bottle. Pours slightly hazy golden orange with a big fluffy white head that retains well and leaves little lacing.

The aroma is sweet caramel malt, piney hops and watermelon jolly ranchers.

The flavor is watermelon jolly ranchers with lots of slightly harsh piney resiny hops. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, interesting but kind of odd to have hoppy alcoholic watermelon jolly ranchers.

1.89/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Tastes good if you like drinking watermelon jolly rancher with alcohol. Way too over the top for beer IMO...almost tastes more like a mix drink...a really bad one at that.

4.12/5  rDev +22.3%

Definitely an acquired taste. This will really knock you on your seat at first sip but then settles down and feels like you're drinking a watermelon jolly rancher. This feels much like a novelty beer that is fun to try, but won't soon be in my full time rotation. Would drink this again, but sparingly.

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Like many Ballast Point experimental versions of their standard beers, I find myself wondering what the point is of this brew. Dorado DIPA is one of the finest examples of the style, and while an interesting idea, the watermelon just diminishes it. It is a rare problem for a brewery to say their regular beers are too good to tamper with, but in my opinion that is the case here. Not bad, and worth a try if you are into IPAs or fruit beers (surprisingly light-feeling for a double IPA), but not something I will be running back to the store for.

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a chill hazed deep gold/pale amber producing 2+ fingers of eggshell white, moderately lasting, frothy head that leaves sticky webs & streaks of lace. Aroma is sweet watermelon candy on top of sweet caramel malt that unfortunately beat into submission what I judge to be grapefruit & tropical fruit hops mixed hints of honey & resinous pine. Taste is sweet, sweet, dare I say again.... sweet watermelon sugar if there is such a thing & sweet caramel malt totally dominating the hop profile of citrus & pineapple backed pine needles & resin. There is a pepper note from mid-sip into the aftertaste. Like Ballast Point Dorado it has a very bitter finish that gravitating towards sweet to become a bitter/sweet very dry aftertaste which becomes heavily bitter with time. The sugary sweetness completely destroys any balance in the nose & goes to great lengths to do so in the mouth. Mouthfeel is moderate-heavy bodied with moderate carbonation, rich, slick, slightly oily & a little chewy with a light spicy prickle, dry becoming chalky long into the aftertaste. Unlike some of the better "Watermelon" brews that present a "fresh" melon flavor this one suffers from too much sweetness & high degree of artificially in its expression of watermelon.

3.42/5  rDev +1.5%

Purchased a sikx pack in the city of Chicago, IL. From what I understand the bottling date is written on the bottom of the can is written in ##(year)###(month&day in Julian.) So 16161 = June 10th this year. So this is nearing 4 months since bottling date.

Poured this into my room mate's glass I found, it is covered in gold flowers and is just a bit smaller than a pint glass. I'd say it's probably from the 60's or 70's. The beer has fairly fine bubbles, large head that settled down to some light retention. Over all some nice decent looking bubbles I guess. I'm horrible at tints, it's a darker goldish amber? Does that sound like a tint? Either way it's quite cloudy.

Let's smell this bugger. Honestly having a hard time picking up the nose on this. I suppose I get a fruity sort of candy watermelon quality to it as well as some piney hoppy malty hints. Over all the nose is underwhelming. Some reason I doubt I'd get more with a warmer temperature with this brew too.

On to the taste/mouth feel as it goes into my mouth. I was pessimistic by other reviews siting candy's like jolly ranchers, but the watermelon isn't far off from the same sort of water melon flavor I'd find in a cheap high ABV malt liquor. Does any one remember Colt Blast? That being said, it taste way better than crappy malt booze. The whopping 10% ABV really sneaks in there, hardly any feel for the alcohol, the fruity notes drop and you get a long lasting deep pine resin strong ABV vibe. This beer is fairly balanced, but I just don't resonate a whole lot with the taste. The mouthfeel is thick but powdery.

I doubt I'd ever buy this six pack again at this price point, but fairly smooth 10% abv water melon jolly ranches drenched in hop resin could be a neat party trick for some one maybe? (no, not really. I honestly don't get this beer at all. Who is this appealing to? It's not a sweet beer, and it's not a dank IPA, it's just strong and drinkable but nothing notable enough to garner the higher price point or some sort of following.) I will though, drink this whole six pack over the next week or so and it wont be a problem, I will enjoy this beers. We simply live in a world filled with so many options that I think people need to try a little harder, particularly a brewery with such a strong reputation?

On further thought, I am drinking this in the fall and in the midwest. This beer is nautical, and fruity. Just smelling it makes me think of sandy flip-flops and a salty beard. I think this beer best to be served in a setting as such, and in fact if the opportunity ever arises I would totally smash one of these sixers in that sort of situation. (ex: getting classy plastered at a nice beach house on either coast.)

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Part of a $10.99 make a 6-pack Foodland
Hazy golden, slightly amber color
Smell of watermelon
Medium mouthfeel
Medium carbonation
Taste of watermelon comes through to give it some sweetness, some bitterness from hops, good job of masking the high alcohol
Overall a pretty good beer to try. I wouldn't buy a 6-pack of it because that high alcohol would limit how much I can drink, but glad I got to try it.

4.43/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: slight haze; copper colored; 1+ finger off white head that receded to a wispy cap; very nice lacing;

S: watermelon, caramel, earthiness;

T: watermelon is predominant from start to finish; a little dankness in the background; mild bitterness on the finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; lightly dry finish; hides the ABV very well; a little warm in the aftertaste;

O: dangerously refreshing for 10% ABV;

3.81/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12oz can poured into a tulip

A- pours a golden color with a ruby hue, one finger foamy white head that has good retention and leaves some lain behind

S- typical Dorado hop aromas of pine, citrus peel, floral, grass and mango, complimented by an underlying dose of watermelon

T- watermelon is strong and sweet up front, reminiscent of a jolly rancher. Mid-palate gives hoppy flavors of floral, pine, and orange peel. More watermelon sweetness on the finish with some bready malt and lingers of piney hop

M- medium body and carbonation leads to a foamy mouthfeel that turns creamy into a slightly warming finish

O- an interesting combination, I enjoyed it but it gets a bit cloying as it warms

3.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The base beer is not my favorite, so I approached this with some trepidation. It pours a beautiful golden-hued straw color with a couple of fingers of off-white head.

The smell is HUUUUUGE watermelon - like you've stuck your melon in a watermelon tank. Red flag #1. No discernible hop aromas. Red flag #2.

As I raise the glass for a taste, I quiver. There's the watermelon. It's pounding me with a cloying sweetness - I'm drinking a Watermelon Jolly Rancher with alcohol in it.

I know that sounds like a good thing, but it's really not. Too sweet, too much watermelon. It's not a drain pour by any means, but it's also not a beer to seek, IMHO.

4.47/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer smells excellent - floral with watermelon and grapefruit notes. Very sweet and fruity on the nose. The taste is very sweet too, which masks the high alcohol level. It is also very malty- much more so than the Sculpin or Dorado. People are complaining that this beer is too sweet- I think that's the point. This is a super fruity double IPA- it SHOULD taste like candy. This is my 2nd favorite flavored IPA from Ballast Point behind the Grapefruit Sculpin.

2.29/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

L: Cloudy burnt orange color. Thin foamy head with good lacing.

S: Smells like an IPA mixed with watermelon candy.

T: Unpleasant watermelon candy. The hops just make it taste like bitter candy. Starts out heavy on watermelon, then starts to have a pleasant IPA hoppiness, which is then quickly ruined by the return of bad watermelon candy.

F: Smooth enough going down and fairly light carbonation, but the weird bitter/watermelon mix leaves and unpleasant feeling and taste in your mouth.

O: Flavors just aren't mixed well. The watermelon almost gives way to the IPA hoppiness to make it more pleasant, but that is momentary.

2.38/5  rDev -29.4%

Pours an amber, coppery brown, unleashing huge watermelon candy aromas. Uh oh.

I love me some Ballast Point, but this unpalatable concoction tastes like something dreamt up during a theme night at a student bar. Massive watermelon candy kicks you right in the bollocks, gives way for one moment to a pleasant breadiness, then creeps up again with overwhelming, acrid hop bitterness and booze. Big, big flavours without any cohesion.

Struggled to get through this one.

3.64/5  rDev +8%

12oz can, part of the 6-packs in which they are sold in up here as of late.

This beer pours a clear, bright medium copper amber colour, with three chubby fingers of puffy, rocky, and somewhat bubbly ecru head, which leaves some sparse webbed lace around the glass as it quickly sinks away.

It smells of fairly green watermelon rind, watery pine needles, grainy and crackery pale malt, chewed-out bubblegum of the same titular persuasion, and maybe a suggestion of yuk-a-flux booziness. The taste is bready and doughy pale malt, some weak caramel sweetness, kind of acrid underripe watermelon pith, subtle indistinct citrus notes, more Hubba Bubba banality, and further leafy, piney, and certainly perfumed floral hoppiness.

The carbonation is quite light and innocuous in its come-hither frothiness, the body a decent middleweight, and actually quite smooth, with a sexy creaminess kickin' about shortly after takeoff here. It finishes off-dry, the vegetal watermelon pushing on, alongside the waning malt and still timid IPA hop bitters.

Overall, I gotta say that they did indeed bring the watermelon, but in the least agreeable form in which that fruit could be rendered - no fleshy goodness, just the stuff you typically throw away, and makes your kitchen garbage bag sag. As for the IPA side of things, the hop bitterness is there, but it just gets overshadowed. A whole lot better than Minhas' trashy Boxer Watermelon (sadly my only relatively recent comparative metric), in that there are subtle flavours beyond the purported fruit and the well-hidden 20-proof wowee sauce.

3.52/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

OK IPA. Pours a hazy light orange color with a medium size, fast fading off white head. Aroma is jolly rancher watermelon and mild citrusy hops, fairly pleasant. Taste is mild citrus hops with the candy-like watermelon flavor coming in at the end. The watermelon is understated and not that off-putting. The hops bitterness is fairly mild for a DIPA though. Mouthfeel is crisp, no hint of 10% .abv with mild bitterness. This is an OK drink, less flavor than i would expect for 10% abv., but pleasant enough.

3.85/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Watermelon Dorado pours a hazy copper color with a small lacing head. A big sweet watermelon like aroma. The taste has a a big sweet candy like, watermelon flavor, then a harsh and unexpected bitter finish. Strong flavors and good body. Overall, it s a not bad beer, but the fruit flavors do not mesh well with the IPA flavors.

4.36/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I am happy to be carrying on my (now) proud tradition of Watermelon (Beer) Wednesday/Wit Wednesday/Watermelon Wit Wednesday, if you CAN dig it. This addition to The CANQuest (tm) was formulated by my cousin, Colby ChANdler, specialty brewer at Ballast Point B.C. No kidding.

From the CAN: "A Fresh Twist on a Heavy Hitter"; "Our Watermelon Dorado Double IPA is not one to back down from big flavors. Mash, kettle, and dry hopping blend to create a huge hop profile that is balanced with a blast of watermelon. The result is a refreshing brew that is all summer and no seeds."; "Dedicated to the Craft".

I was overly excited to get the party started, what with the weekly celebration coupled with the Pirates taking a 6-4 lead over the Giants in S.F. after being down 4-0. I Crack!ed it open and CANducted an inverted Glug, but I had some overflow of rising head. Once things settled, I was left with two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, tawny head with decent retention. Color was Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had an odd combination of pine and watermelon. Interesting. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but close. The taste was deeply watermelon, but with a tangy bite, like getting greedy and biting into the rind. Still, it was a pleasant and refreshing beer on a hot & humid summer evening. Speaking of pleasant, other than a light fusel alcohol burn, this hid its ABV well. A little too well, as I was really running through it quickly. Finish was dry, which was also surprising, since I have had some very sweet watermelon beers before. This was more my speed - a DIPA with a watermelon tang. That said, at 10%, one will probably satiate me.

2.78/5  rDev -17.5%

Fortunate to find a 12oz bottle at a supermarket mix-a-six after months of hemming/hawing. Twilight Zone of beers. You can sense a solid DIPA at the root, but the watermelon tastes like hard candy, and unavoidable at that. Mere curiosity does not merit the $15 outlay for a six-pack. Ballast's Mango Even Keel and Pineapple Sculpin are worthy. But this and Habanero Sculpin barely warrant their curio badges.

Watermelon Dorado from Ballast Point Brewing Company