Moscow Mule | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Moscow MuleMoscow Mule

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Our Moscow Mule Ale is a tart and refreshing beer version of the classic cocktail. Loaded with lime zest and ginger over a kettle-soured base beer, Moscow Mule Ale tantalizes your tastebuds with tangy and effervescent flavors, finishing with a slight hint of spice from the ginger. It’s the perfect way to enjoy a Moscow Mule without the shaker or copper mug.

Added by DISKORD on 12-26-2017

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

2.53/5  rDev -15.7%

Appearance: A copper orange, with a barely present head.

Aroma: Ginger. Ginger, ginger, ginger.

Taste: GINGER!

Hi, do you like ginger? Do you snack on ginger candy while drinking ginger beer, and look upon ginger ale the way we look upon Bud/Miller/Coors? If so, then have I got a beer for you! This beer's got ginger and plenty of it. "Slight hint of spice from the ginger"? Ha, more like a wallop of ginger upside your head!

To be honest, I've never actually had a Moscow mule, so I'm not sure what the cocktail tastes like, but if it tastes anything like this beer then I don't want it. The beer is overpowering with ginger. I haven't tasted this much ginger since I drank a Jamaican ginger beer.

For ginger-heads, this is the real deal! For mere mortals who like ginger, but don't absolutely love it to the exclusion of all else, maybe pass on this one. Or just get a single bottle if you're still curious and that's an option.

1.31/5  rDev -56.3%

If you like drinking battery acid or embombing fluid, this is the beer for you.

3.75/5  rDev +25%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.79/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear bourbon color. Smell had ginger and lime in with some sour fruit. Taste was sour almost like a daqouri ,notes of ginger and lime with a boozy finish. This is a sipper that is best served in a 5oz tulip. I actually like this beer and 5oz was enough.

3.17/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3

For the edification of those STILL not in the know, my westie cousin, Colby ChANdler is the VP of Brewing Operations at Ballast Point & I tell it like it is, usually much to his chagrin. I really wish that this was not a part of the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody, but I CAN't have everything, I suppose.

From the Bottle: "Ale with Ginger and Lime added"; "Product of the U.S.A."

That last bit is hy-lair-ious! What no added Mules? NOT made in Moscow? I'm devastated! 8=( Time to Pop! the cap & blow the Ballast on this Mule. Man, this poured like pop and sat in my glass like a stubborn mule! I gave it a vigorous in-glass swirl that briefly raised two fingers of fizzy, foamy, tawny head that quickly fizzled its way out of existence. I am told that kettle-souring has this effect. Color was solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was redolent with ginger and underlain with both lime and a lightly puckering tartness. It strikes me that this may be too clever by half on cuz's part. It is not doing well as an American Wild Ale, but if he had left well enough alone & just gone with the adjuncts, it could easily have qualified as an Herbed/Spiced Ale. Mouthfeel was watery, lacking any body whatsoever. The taste was … hack! OMFG! They did NOT spare the Ginger in any way, shape or form! It was like a lightning bolt coursed through my mouth & into my sinuses, which were unfortunately NOT clogged as they so often are. I nearly snorted fire through my nostrils like a dragon, having been caught off guard! Phew. My eyes welled up and tears gently rolled down my cheeks. Waaah! Then, the tartness kicked in, puckering my lips tighter than a duck's behind as the lime was the saving grace as I reached for my asthma inhaler. The notes mention "a slight hint of spice" & I would be curious to see what "overwhelming spiciness" might entail. Now, as far as the Style, it was kind of a weak sister in terms of its tart/sourness, but the ginger was enough to even cause a tingling on my lips. I will be honest - I LOVE fresh ginger! My brother is the wasabi freak so when we go for sushi, each of us doubles down on his favorite, leaving the rest for the other. This would be a great accompaniment to Thai/Vietnamese/Chinese cuisine, but on its own, I was starting to become fatigued. And why such a high ABV? I think that this could be much improved by toning things down - lower the ABV, less is more on the part of the ginger & don't bother with the kettle souring. Finish was dry and very spicy. Phew!

4.68/5  rDev +56%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Moscow Mule has a thin, off-white head, an opaque, orange appearance, and no glass lacing. Aroma is of sharp ginger & lime, over a white bread undertaste. The flavor is similar, with a good deal of sourness. Mouthfeel is high medium, and Moscow Mule finishes medium dry and tart.

RJT

1.5/5  rDev -50%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2.67/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

3.37/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

1.46/5  rDev -51.3%

This beer encouraged me to register on this site. That's how bad it tastes. It's tolerable until the immediate aftertaste of fermenting bread hits your tongue.

I imagine if you were a pirate from the 18th century and perhaps mentally challenged, this would be an enjoyable ale.

4.19/5  rDev +39.7%

4.25/5  rDev +41.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.15/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

4.12/5  rDev +37.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.74/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

It pours a murky amber orange hue with a white head that quickly dissipates. The aroma is heavy ginger and lime. The taste is ginger, lime, and a faint hint of grain on the back end. I like ginger, and Moscow mules, but this is to much. The only redeeming quality is it hides the high alcohol content very well. Light watery body. This is overall very disappointing though. I was surprised Ballast Point would put something like this out. They used to make fun of breweries doing this.

3.77/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Aroma is big ginger, lime/fruit and a hint of seltzer water. The flavor is lime/fruit, malts, mild seltzer water and a sour/mildly sweet/ginger spice finish.

1.93/5  rDev -35.7%

I've never had the cocktail, so I can't compare it with this beer. I was wary when I bought a 6-pack. Ginger and lime didn't sound like an ideal combination to me, but I was attracted by the nice, high ABV.

The ABV certainly doesn't disappoint. And I guess the flavor is pretty much what the can promised. To me, hot ginger dominates by a long shot. I like hot spicy foods, but the burn in my throat is disconcerting even for me. If I didn't know it was (probably) the ginger, I would think it was habanero or ghost pepper. The burn is downright unpleasant. I barely taste the flavor because of that burn.

I got through this glass, poured from the bottle. I'm not sure about the other 5 bottles, though. I might hold onto them to serve to someone I don't particularly like.

2.3/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.79/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clear copper color with a thin cream colored head that dissipated immediately leaving no lacing. Aroma is sour. Flavor is too much lime and a touch of ginger. Feel is crisp and well carbonated. Not my thing. Not wasting any more of my beer calories on this. Drain pour.

2.93/5  rDev -2.3%

Straight Ginger bomb. It was okay when super cold out of the fridge, but as it warmed it turned in to a Gingery mess. So much ginger and alcohol heat that it kinda burned as it went down. Worth a try, but not a repeat purchase.

3.15/5  rDev +5%

1.8/5  rDev -40%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

2.8/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

3.77/5  rDev +25.7%