Moscow Mule | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by DISKORD on 12-26-2017

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.25/5  rDev +38.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.15/5  rDev -30%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

4.12/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.74/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

It pours a murky amber orange hue with a white head that quickly dissipates. The aroma is heavy ginger and lime. The taste is ginger, lime, and a faint hint of grain on the back end. I like ginger, and Moscow mules, but this is to much. The only redeeming quality is it hides the high alcohol content very well. Light watery body. This is overall very disappointing though. I was surprised Ballast Point would put something like this out. They used to make fun of breweries doing this.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Aroma is big ginger, lime/fruit and a hint of seltzer water. The flavor is lime/fruit, malts, mild seltzer water and a sour/mildly sweet/ginger spice finish.

1.93/5  rDev -37.1%

I've never had the cocktail, so I can't compare it with this beer. I was wary when I bought a 6-pack. Ginger and lime didn't sound like an ideal combination to me, but I was attracted by the nice, high ABV.

The ABV certainly doesn't disappoint. And I guess the flavor is pretty much what the can promised. To me, hot ginger dominates by a long shot. I like hot spicy foods, but the burn in my throat is disconcerting even for me. If I didn't know it was (probably) the ginger, I would think it was habanero or ghost pepper. The burn is downright unpleasant. I barely taste the flavor because of that burn.

I got through this glass, poured from the bottle. I'm not sure about the other 5 bottles, though. I might hold onto them to serve to someone I don't particularly like.

2.3/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.79/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clear copper color with a thin cream colored head that dissipated immediately leaving no lacing. Aroma is sour. Flavor is too much lime and a touch of ginger. Feel is crisp and well carbonated. Not my thing. Not wasting any more of my beer calories on this. Drain pour.

2.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Straight Ginger bomb. It was okay when super cold out of the fridge, but as it warmed it turned in to a Gingery mess. So much ginger and alcohol heat that it kinda burned as it went down. Worth a try, but not a repeat purchase.

3.15/5  rDev +2.6%

1.8/5  rDev -41.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

2.8/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

3.99/5  rDev +30%

12oz bottle. Poured out a golden auburn color with a small, khaki-colored head of foam. It smelled of ginger, lime and sweet malt. Lots of ginger and lime taste with a strong, boozy finish.

3.53/5  rDev +15%

Ballast Point "Moscow Mule Ale"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, coded MU 17 07:44 !PKG 19APR18" and sampled on 08JUN18
$2.99 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness: It's poured a hazy amber colored body beneath a full head of off-white that's unfortunately already dropped. By the time I type this the head will have faded to just a collar. Yep, as expected. That's not good in my opinion and I have to wonder why... is it the ginger? There must be a lot of ginger in there because I can smell it without raising the glass to my nose. In fact, when I lift the glass to my nose it smells like ginger soda. I'm not getting anything but ginger and sugar, well, in this case, malt. I have absolutely no head at this point, and no collar, and no lacing. On to the flavor... holy Moses there's a lot of lime there. It's tart! And it's like real lime, with a lot of citric acid and not a lot of flavor - meaning I think it's real lime. Ha ha! I just noticed there's a Russian skeleton on the label... the Moscow Mule was invented by an American salesman pushing vodka, Russia had nothing to do with it. Anyway, there's a lot of ginger there as well. It's got a burn, and if the goal was to recreate a Moscow Mule they've certainly done that. It's not just a touchdown, it's more like when Forrest Gump makes the goal and then just keeps running. With that said, it's not very beer-like. I'm not getting a lot of malt flavor coming through, and forget about hops, that wouldn't have worked anyway so I doubt there's much there at all. The most malt I get is in the finish as the ginger and lime are subsiding. Overall it's not a bad drink but I don't think it fares well as a beer. It might be good in the summer on a hot day while relaxing outside but I doubt I'd drink it at any other time. So it might be worth trying if you think that it's your kind of thing but otherwise I'd suggest a pass despite the fact that it's fairly well constructed and balanced.
Review# 6,057

3.25/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.42/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful amber gold color with white cap.

Aroma of caramely malt with definite lime and ginger highlights.

Taste is led by citrus backed by solid caramel malt. Lime is in the forefront but not in an intrusive way, rather riding on the malt base. I'll say ginger as well but that part strikes me as more spicy than gingery along with something bordering on sweetness without really being sweet. Hops add some high notes mid palate and linger in the aftertaste.

Medium texture with balancing carbonation.

So what would a solid amber beer flavored with lime and ginger taste like you ask, well, it would taste like this. Solidly constructed, well balanced and flavorful in a spicy lime way that doesn't taste artificial. I'm not sure I would change this with more or less flavor additions because it's well balanced as is.

2.58/5  rDev -16%

A rare miss from one of my favorite larger breweries. I love everything they put out but this one fails. Tastes like you mixed a beer into a Moscow Mule. Was expecting something much more subtle. Lime is overpowering to the ginger and leaves a strong aftertaste. And I love beer AND Moscow mules

2.73/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.85/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.62/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bringing the flavors of popular cocktails into the beer world is always a tricky proposition. But the Ballast Point brewery accepts the challenge and rolls the prominent flavors of the moscow mule into a lightly soured caramelized ale.

Aptly named Moscow Mule, the solid amber ale brings a bright clarity and a frothy, ivory cap the the bar. The citrusy scent of limes gain most attention, but the complementing scent of ginger, caramel, cola and pecan lurk closely behind. Sweet on the front of the tongue, those caramel, cola, honey and pecan malty influences set a sweet and toasty tone.

Much of the same transpires across the middle palate as the beer's malt sweetness stays the course while lightening slightly toward finish. The interplay of lime and ginger intertwine for a spicy and fruity fusion of flavor that continue to steal the flavors stage. Lightly hopped, the ale prefers to have the ginger and lime bitterness do the heavy lifting in balance as the late palate brings mild tartness and caramelized sweetness.

Medium bodied throughout, the taste trends cola and nutty heading into a slightly bitter and tart finish that concludes much more well-balanced and refreshing than it starts. A medium length afterglow of fruit and spice continues to bring what's best about the culinary art of the mixed drink to every part of the session.

1.08/5  rDev -64.8%

I really enjoy ballast point. Solid IPA’s, Excellent Stouts, and even slightly obscure beers like the Red Velvet. I’ve really enjoyed them all. In addition, I have become a big fan of complex sour beers. But then came this beer, which I can only assume is an attempt at a sour. It’s disgusting. It’s beyond disgusting. Not to be overly hyperbolic, but I think this is the worst beer I have ever had. I appreciate the ambitious attempt Ballast Point, but this one was a swing and a miss.

3.18/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.11/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast