Sculpin - With Ginger, Lime, And Szechuan Peppercorn | Ballast Point Brewing Company

Awaiting More Ratings

Ballast Point Brewing Company
ballastpoint.com

Style: American IPA

Added by HopHead84 on 11-16-2011

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

I loved it. Poured from draft at Amplified Ale works in San Diego. I wish I could get more of it

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Had this in the brewery tasting room. Fantastic, well-balanced beer. You get a bit of the ma la flavor of the Sichuan peppercorn, and the ginger and lime really cut the bitterness of the base beer this was concocted with. A great summer beer - I wish I could get it in Northern California.

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

11/10/11

On tap at URGE. WAhoo! Supposedly a one-off for Ballast Point Night at URGE.

A: Translucent, vibrant orange with an inch of white sea foam. Good retention and lots of lacing.

S: Much orange and grapefruit with lighter tropical notes: mango and passion fruit. I get some lime and lemon with a faint ginger note and earth. Smells great.

T: Pronounced orange, grapefruit, and tangerine, with a little mango and lime. Ginger is faint, and I get a slight tingling on my palate from the Szechuan that blends with a smooth moderate bitterness. As always with this beer, no alcohol is evident.

M: Light medium body with upper medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is crisp, dry, and sticky, and that tingling on the palate from the peppercorn is unique.

Overall: I'd rather have a pint of regular Sculpin than a pint of this, but the combination of various elements works surprisingly well in this beer.

Sculpin - With Ginger, Lime, And Szechuan Peppercorn from Ballast Point Brewing Company