Abbot Reserve

Added:
Aug 17, 2009
No description / notes.
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
Reviewed by REVZEB from Illinois

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
Had on cask. Clear brown pour with a cream colored frothy head. Rich toffee malts with nuts, dark fruits, and some booze create a full nose. Taste does so well to translate the rich caramel malt, big toffee, now raisin and caramelized date, and nuts, with brown bread, faint booze, plum, and earth in the supporting roles. Feel is the achilles heel though, as the malt richness, while light like the style, does give way to booze warmth cumulatively. Still, a wonderful english strong ale
Oct 06, 2022

Rated: 4.67 by ScrewyLoops from England

Feb 22, 2021
Reviewed by Snowcrash000 from Germany

3.29/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25
Pours a crystal clear, deep amber coloration with a medium, foamy head and visible carbonation. Smells of bready, caramel malt, toffee and dark fruits, with just a hint of floral hops. Taste follows the nose, with a decent balance of lightly toasted, bready, caramel malt, toffee, brown sugar, dark/red fruits and lighter bitter, floral hops, with notes of raisin, plum and red currants. Finishes bittersweet, with a medium bitterness and some caramel malt, brown sugar and floral hops lingering in the aftertaste, as well as certain burnt rubber, metallic note. Full mouthfeel with a medium body and carbonation.

I used to remember Abbot Ale quite fondly from my time living in London, but that was about 20 years ago and I never had the Abbot Reserve, which left me a bit disappointed, to be honest. I guess this is a nice enough Strong Ale, with a decent balance of sweet malts and bitter hops, although it's still way too sweet for my personal taste, while there also is an odd rubbery/metallic note in the aftertaste that is somewhat unpleasant. Maybe it's skunkiness from the clear bottle, but I suspect something else is at work here. Rather nice, full mouthfeel though.
Aug 03, 2020
Reviewed by James94 from England

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4
L: Chestnut orange, initial two fingers of head, good lacing
S: Woodiness, slight skunkiness, dark fruits, roasted malts
T: Brown sugar, toffee, nutiness, woodiness, hints of vanilla
F: Alcohol is well-hidden, slightly overcarbonated

O: 4

Oct 14, 2019
Reviewed by JonnoWillsteed from England

4.31/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
L- Mid chestnut brown, clear, pours with 3Cm uniformly fine-bubble just off-white pillowy head. I gave that a moment to recede a touch and topped up the trad pint glass. 20 minutes later it has reduced to a thin film and broad lacing down the sides, impressive.
S- I popped the cap and the waft was like a Rasta had just floated into the room, man. Now it's settled down I sniff again - a lovely roastiness.
T- Toasty and hoppy, soon heading off into deeper richness, elements of Xmas pudding, deep fruity cake-like richness.
M- To me this a winter warmer, something for colder months to slowly enjoy next to an open fire. It's fulfilling vs 'refreshing' as such.
O- It has quite an impactful flavour, underpinned and enhanced via it's 6.5%. If you told me blind-tasted it was 7.5% I'd believe you. I think this is gorgeous, I'd happily drink this on a regular basis, at £1.70/pint it's a screaming bargain to me. At the time of writing this rates 3.74/29 Ratings which surprises me; to me this is a magnificant beer. There is nothing, not any tiny facet that seems out of place. I don't know, I don't pre-meditate these things, but after 400+ reviews I'd expect this to rate somewhere in or near my top-10 reviews, it really seems that good to me.
The irony is that I bought this from Tesco, Market Square on a visit to Norwich; and I've never seen it elsewhere, in London or regionally. Now if only I knew where to buy this near me!
£1.70/pint bottle.
In fact I'd really tip other readers to keep their eyes open when off home turf. In the same shop I also found a Duvel Citra (new to me), ditto a bottle of Thornbridge Tart and others. I'd naively imagined such beers would be pitched to metropolitan tastes, rather than those lucky Norfolk beer-fans.
Apr 13, 2019

Rated: 3.65 by hdtrice from England

Jan 06, 2016
Reviewed by EmperorBevis from England

3.17/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3
Bottled (& sadly clear glass)
Light brown body with slight off white head that disappears 75% surface only tiny bubbled head
There is toffee on the nose and it would have been a good aroma but for the skunking
likewise the flavour has a good balance of sweet toffee elements & bitterness but it's bulldozed by the skunking due to the clear glass bottle
Oct 08, 2015

Rated: 2.5 by olradetbalder from Sweden

Dec 01, 2014
Reviewed by vinicole from England

3.59/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
Bottle. Amber in colour. Frothy head.
Smells of sweet malt, pipped and stoned fruit along with the whiff of alcohol.
Tastes like most Greene King beer i.e. their house yeast. Toffee caramel with hedgerow fruit.
Moderate feel. Medium to full bodied.
I enjoyed the alcohol.