Four O Street Legal Malt Liquor

Added:
Jun 28, 2009
No description / notes.
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
Reviewed by Zansu

Let me start by saying I can hold my liquor/alcohol quite well, and in no way mean that as bragging but when this beer came out I drank 2 24oz cans because it was cheap. Well I went home and distroyed my entire house for no reason and couldn't even remember doing it, but I was the only one home!! SMH
Jul 24, 2022
Reviewed by xolectic from Ohio

1.48/5  rDev -20.9%
Purchased a 24 oz can for $1.29 including beverage tax at a gas station in Dayton, Ohio.

Look: Straw yellow color, medium head. No lacing.

Smell: Strong sweet smell, green apple and malts.

Taste: Very, very sweet. I can barely taste any alcohol. Was actually disappointed by the lack of graininess since I genuinely love a good AAL. Virtually no hops. Remarkably inoffensive for the high alcohol content, but no character either, almost like beer flavored soda with less carbonation and some alcohol. The sweetness is just WAY too much, even for a malt liquor fan. There is still some fusel taste, but it is masked by the extreme sweetness.

Feel: Very light body, even lighter than *only* 8% abv cheap lagers like Steel Reserve and even the watery Natty Daddy. Weak carbonation, which means you can chug easily and get drunk very fast, which may be dangerous with a beer of this ABV.

Overall: My previous review was more positive, but honestly I can't recommend this beer for anyone. As a malt liquor, it is terrible even compared to the usual high gravity brews, and seems to be targeting the alcopop crowd with its excessive sweetness, but won't please anyone except those looking for the fastest buzz from a beer. Interesting because it pushes the limits of what is considered beer, but even Earthquake is way better. Stay away!
Oct 31, 2018
Reviewed by ATZYAV01D from Indiana

1.78/5  rDev -4.8%
Do not buy this. yes 10% alcohol is about twice that of the other drinks. DRINK TWICE THE OTHER F_N DRINKS!!!!!

look: 5. looks ghetto like a 40 should, looks like 10% alcohol, a Wisconsin product while im a state away from home
smell:2 - eww. kinda opinionated and sweet
taste:1- I REGRET SPENDING $10 OF MY LAST $25 ON 4 OF THESE!!!!!!!!!!!! damn indiana sunday-no liquor-laws making me try to bulk up on this shit!! tastes like a bad brew, sweetened with the corn syrup from a warm 7-up. you know that corny ass unrefreshing shit that makes you imagine a lobe of corn (a lobe of corn.... thats a thing, right??) instead of the alleged "lemons" and "limes" that supposably make up 7-up? idk, tastes liek corn to me.... Like apart from the 500 calories of alcohol due to the 4 ounces pure alcohol, this tastes like it had 200$ of sugar. or a jar or two of sucralose. its disgusting. i hate it. do not buy it.
Feel:4 i am drunk though, i feel slighty disgusted with myself for drinking such ..... (whats the liquid version of slop? slop is a liquid????) slop.
Overall:3. because drunkness is 5, and taste is one, it equals 2.5. 2.5 rounded is 3, ccording to my teachers. thats generous AF though, because taste should really be negative 5. so really the score is -5 billion, cuz reality. do not buy this.

look:close your eyes
smell: dont breathe through your nose
Taste-awful
feel- drunk ppl dont have feelings silly.
Oct 13, 2015
Reviewed by biboergosum from Canada (AB)

2.11/5  rDev +12.8%
24oz monstrous can, procured during happy hour at the Pizza Brew in Calgary. Stereotypical inner city brick wall graffiti imagery makes up the childish label.

This beer pours a clear, medium golden yellow colour, with one fat finger of puffy, somewhat foamy bone-white head, which leaves some stringy webbed lace around the glass as things quickly move southwards.

It smells of that standard Minhas house essence - musty dank cardboard, industrial effluent, apple cores, and an acetone-heavy metallic booziness. The taste is more of the same - wet paper, a suggestion of grainy corn malt, industrial park alcohol, adult bubblegum (i.e. boozy), apple mush, and very little else - but that's not the point here, is it?

The carbonation is soft, but fairly frothy, the body medium-light in weight, smooth like vodka after that initial burning sensation wears off, and airily creamy, for some reason. It finishes sweet, all surprisingly restrained alcohol heat and bland apple fruitiness, like a cheaply boozed-up cider.

Strangely not the most off-putting, or awful-tasting offering from this brewery - sure it's alcoholic, but it bears that badge with pride, and a pleasant enough softness. Other than that, however, this is indeed the lowbrow shit you might take it for, all other things being equal.
Feb 26, 2014

Mar 14, 2012
Reviewed by RonaldTheriot from Louisiana

2.5/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5
Okay, this is not a beer to trifle with. If one were to drink a 24 oz. can of this and then drive a motor vehicle, then he would be almost guaranteed to get arrested on a DUI charge. I drank only a 12 oz. serving (on an empty stomach) and was thoroughly drunk. Four O Street Legal Malt Liquor has a thick, off-white, creamy head and a deep golden appearance. I was amazed by the abundance of ragged lacing. The can design is completely politically incorrect, and it nuances all the wrong things about malt liquor. But, for those of us who enjoy cruising the underclass of the beer world, it is an interesting beer. No, this is certainly not the type of beer I'd drink on a daily basis, but, for kicks, I am enjoying the ride (so, please excuse any inebriated verbiage). Four O has a strong apple aroma and some grain can be detected in the smell as well. The taste is highly sweet and fruity, with some alcohol sting to it. Mouth-feel is rather heavy, and this concoction finishes wet and sloppy. Put it to you like this: if all you care to drink is Busch, Budweiser, Miller High Life, Shiner Bock, and Coors Banquet, etc., and you don't appreciate the "wild side" of beer, then don't fool with this stuff. But, however, if you like to go into forbidden zones from time to time, I'd recommend you try this (with extreme trepidation, to be sure). Well, for those who relish trying outlandish, unacceptable drinks like this, I'd recommend a try (at home, with an iron-clad assurance that you will not, under any circumstances, operate a motor vehichle). Although you may not like this beer, you can't really argue that it's not interesting.

UPDATE NOTE: About an hour after writing this review, I was hit with a nausea that lasted over 24 hours. So, that's what I get for going out on a limb and sampling this filth. I really can't, with a clear conscience, recommend this trash. My advice is to stay away from it and not damage your psyche.

RJT
Jun 11, 2010
Reviewed by cnally from Indiana

2.24/5  rDev +19.8%
Oh boy oh boy oh boy! This right here is taking me back. Back to the days when I literally drank beer out of a brown paper bag. Except now, I pour it in a glass. Strange.

Crystal clear straw yellow color, foamy white head is surprisingly sticky on the side of the glass.

The aroma is a sick adjunct combo, with a really putrid sourness. Huge corn smell.

The flavor is very sweet. Highly grainy. Then, like a bomb, the alcohol kicks in. It is like someone dropped a shot of everclear in a Bud Light.

Alcohol burn on the throat and tongue. But decently carbonated.

Uh...drink it cold. It obviously is created to get you crunk, cause it is a cinch to slam and not savor. Which, in a strange way...makes it...kind of drinkable? Whoa. I think I am gonna have my beer geekdom revoked.
Feb 27, 2010
Reviewed by woodychandler from Pennsylvania

1.27/5  rDev -32.1%
I CAN't believe that I have finally gotten around to this beer! It has been in my refrigerator for a couple of months, awaiting me getting in the mindset to crack open a 24-ounce CAN of what I just know, in my heart of hearts, will be absolute and utter rubbish. I have succumbed to too much garbage in CANs to expect anything else. This is the backswing of the CANQuest - on the upswing are some really quality brews from serious brewers and then there is this kind of thing. Onward!

I got a finger's worth of bone-white head out of my pour with low retention, settling into wisps. Color was a light, lemony-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had the same fusel alcohol/bubblegum quality that has been noted in many like beers. Let us call it like it is - this is cheap, mass-produced swill intended for an audience whose sole purpose in drinking this is not for enjoyment, but instead to get as banged up as cheaply and as quickly as possible. Mouthfeel was very thin with a raspberry-candy like taste on the tongue. THAT was totally unexpected and nearly caused me to gag. OK. I just made a deal with myself - I will drink half of the CAN to give it a fair shake, but the rest of it goes. In fact, I am doing a drainpour right now of everything NOT in my glass at the moment so that I will not even be tempted to finish it. Finish was breathtaking and not in any good way. My chest hurts, I CAN feel the sugar leeching the water out of my brain on my way to a world-class hangover, and my asthma is kicking. Oof. Shame on whomever made this for public sale!

I dislike that I CANducted a drain pour at any point during The CANQuest (tm) & I humbly apologize for having done so. Today is Sa, 26Mai 2018 & I am revisiting this beer in its entirety to put things right. The CANQuest (tm) has a CANmitment to drinking EVERY beer to the dregs/lees/punt/kick & this represents an early failing on my part. It also may NOT have been reviewed to style, but my current policy is NOT to f**k with original, often early, scores. Sorry.

I am SO ashamed of my original that I am going to revisit this beer. My overall impression, given 10+ years of CANflection, is that it is not as horrible as I made it sound. It is as advertised - an American Malt Liquor designed to get you crunked. It is still within the style guidelines, but I don't even want to CANtemplete them. It is like quantifying garbage. "The maggots lent a piquant flavor ... ". Okay, it's a FANTASTIC AML, but as a beer in general, it SUX balls! Yer the top of the bottom. This is unfit for human CANsumption & any "To Style vs. To Taste" reviews should be taken acCANdingly!
Jan 01, 2010
Reviewed by ragerx from Alaska

1.18/5  rDev -36.9%
I recently got a 24oz can of this from my girlfriend- she had noticed my "malt liquor kick" as of late and decided to get me some real ghetto fuel, all 10% ABV of it. The can proclaims "Street Legal" on the front. The can is interesting, there is artwork depicting a city skyline with a brick wall below it and graffiti depicting the brand and details. Very appropriate considering the target audience for this beer. Here is my impressions:

A- Again the can is interesting, the beer pours a straw yellow. Small head that foams rapidly and disappears just as rapidly. Looks like a budweiser or typical american lager.

S- Smells somewhat "syrupy", strong corn odors. Not a favorable sign prior to tasting

T- I can honestly say this stuff is pretty low on my list of the worst things I have tasted. I made a batch of mead last year that went wrong and it came out with a really high (17%) abv- this taste almost just like that with a strong, sweet corn flavor. It literally tastes like it might be a liqueur of some sort. I am not sure it is possible to chug this even with it ice cold. It would be interesting to find out the amount of Carbs per serving of this stuff. After a 1.5oz tasting glass of this I am not sure I can drink the can (damn $1.35 down the drain).

M- Syrupy, do not want to hold it in my mouth any longer than I have to. Leaves a sweet, alcoholic aftertaste

D- Awful, I have a feeling if you could put this down rapidly you might vomit. It probably helps to be drunk already or homeless to handle this stuff in quantity. The ABV puts it on par with wines for serving size of 6oz in one standard drink (as opposed to 8oz for a typical malt liquor)

Conclusion- It might be fun to show off at a party or if you are feeling the need for a quick drunk. Undoubtedly this stuff will cause a nasty hangover in quantity. Open can of this only in case of emergency!!
Oct 26, 2009
Reviewed by tone77 from Pennsylvania

2.02/5  rDev +8%
Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, a bit malty. Taste is yuck. Nothing but alcohol, I would have been better served pouring this into a shot glass. Feels light and yucky in the mouth. I really struggled to finish this can. Overall a poor excuse for a beer.
Sep 06, 2009
Reviewed by bgreg3 from Indiana

2.44/5  rDev +30.5%
Thrid review tonight , not inebriated yet ... but I will be after this 24 oz...

app.-3.0 Looks average for a malt, nice and light golden , just like a colt 45 or mickey's.

smell-4.0 Sweet sweet malt and hints of alcohol even in the smell. Kind of looked forward to the taste.

taste- 1.5 Malt and alcohol! I cannot even say the alc. is contained well because it's not.

mouthfeel- 3.0 average, medium body , due to the alcohol

drinkability 2.0- I can drink this , but it'll be hard to pretend to enjoy it

If you want to get messed up drink two of these... otherwise steer clear of this malt liquor.
Jun 23, 2009
Reviewed by biggred1 from Indiana

1.12/5  rDev -40.1%
Pale golden with a small pure white head that quickly shrinks away. The smell is very solvent like grain alcohol with a sweet caramelized onion smell. This shit is just bad, metallic and way to hot with a sweet vegetal note that makes it unpalatable. This is the worst malt liquor I've ever had, a drain pour.
Jun 01, 2009
Reviewed by SaCkErZ9 from South Carolina

2.81/5  rDev +50.3%
Sent as part of the "Good Bad and Ugly 08" BIF. As per the conditions of the BIF, I must review and send an Ugly beer. Here she be!

Dispensed from a 24oz can with a brick wall on the side enblazoned in spray paint graffitti the words "Four O Street Legal". Not sure of what street they are referring, but whatever.

Pours a clear straw color with a very nice looking white head. Plenty of lacing and the head actually stays for quite a bit. Nice.

Aroma is corn cob and sweet liquor. Possibly some rice adjunct as well. Not a drop of grains but I wasnt expecting that from a malt liquor. Again, not too bad so far.

Kind of sweet when it first hits the tougue. Then the rice cereals kick in. A little bit of that alcohol gag comes up due to the sharpness and solvency of the alcohol. Kind of an "old valentine day candy" sort of taste to it: a bit stale yet sweet and somewhat tolerable.

I have to say, this wasnt as bad as I was expecting. A beer with graffitti on the label cant be that good but this wasnt all that bad. Of course, I served this ice cold and as it warmed, it became less and less drinkable, but I cant say this is the worst beer I have had.

Pretty dry finish and candy alcohol in the finish as well. Overall, sweet and alcoholic. If I was REALLY desperate, I may have this. By all means, spend your money elsewhere.
Nov 04, 2008
Reviewed by ism from New Jersey

1.96/5  rDev +4.8%
Received as part of a winter holidays gift of malt liquors from a friend who doesn't drink beer and thought this was something I'd like. As hilariously misguided as the gift was, I do appreciate trying something new and something I'd never buy on my own.

Pours a very clear corn husk yellow, with a one-finger white head that sticks around a fair amount, given the alcohol content. Fruity esters, sweet, dominate the nose. Perhaps it's low expectations, but the taste wasn't that bad. Clean and not as buttery as I am used to in my malt liquor travels, but fruity in flavor and slightly buttery in texture, and a very mild carbonation. Body is heavy with sweetness, but not quite cloying. One of the better malt liquors I've had, but not something I want to encounter ever again in my life. Once is more than enough.
Aug 13, 2008
Reviewed by oconman from Georgia

1.68/5  rDev -10.2%
Well, it's a struggle to know where to begin. Gotta love a can that tags itself. Pours like a beer syrup, with little head that looks "infected" (little deposits of bubbles at nucleation sites). Aroma of corn and cider. Hops like they ran past the mashtun with a hop cone at some point in the process. Medicinal and alcoholic. Taste is just as bad. Somehow I think of Duvel: what that is, this is the opposite. No sublety or grace or balance, but oddly enough, no worse to drink than the PBR I had last night: there's something compelling about the big bruising flavor, like a big, dumb drunk that you enjoy listening to at the bar only because he's not picking on you and you're sure he's bound to pass out soon.
Jun 12, 2008
Reviewed by drinksandeats from Massachusetts

2.91/5  rDev +55.6%
Purchased a 24 oz. can of Four O at a liquor store in Atlantic City, NJ. The can was left in a hot car for a few hours to warm up the beer and give the aromatics a chance to shine.

Appearance: Pours a nice clear yellow with a solid finger-and-a-half of foam that quickly dissolves away. Many streams of fine bubbles from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Very corny. A slight bitter element, almost as if some of the metal from the can leeched into the beer. Aroma detected at least two feet away from glass. Not pleasant.

Taste: For a beer with a cartoony graffiti landscape and the words "Street Legal" and "10% ABV" on the can, it showed a surprising amount of sophistication. There was a very strong corn taste, with the harsh bitterness, but lurking behind everything was a smooth cherry taste, more like Robitussin than maraschino, but cherry nonetheless.

Mouthfeel: The fizz just wouldn't stop. Stuck to my teeth and roof of my mouth. Not pleasant.

Drinkability: I finished the 2-4 of 4-0 quite easily once I got past the first 8 oz. of it. The beer's feel mellowed out once exposed to air. The price wasn't right ($1.55 plus tax) but that notwithstanding this is an adequate malt liquor for, well, Atlantic City.
Jun 09, 2008
Reviewed by Phyl21ca from Canada (QC)

2.5/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5
40 ounces can courtesy of Unclemattie: Poured a golden color beer with a nice pure white foamy head with good retention and some lacing surprisingly. Aroma of fruity ester with some alcoholic phenols. Taste is not as bad as expected with some subtle adjunct and some fruit ester. The alcohol is really noticeable and I guess can be expected from a 10% malt liquor. Medium body with some good carbonation. This was definitely not as bad as expected but not something I would go for again thought.
Feb 25, 2008