Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout | Buffalo Bill's Brewery

good
Read the review
Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal StoutBuffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout

Buffalo Bill's Brewery
buffalobillsbrewery.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Oatmeal stout brewed with blueberries with natural flavor added.

At 7.5% alcohol, this award-winning brew is a true winter warmer. Blueberry Oatmeal Stout has hints of chocolate, oatmeal and fresh blueberries. A wonderful pairing of flavors! Great for the holidays and for those who enjoy discovering new beers.

Added by dsa7783 on 12-22-2007

Reviews: 249 | Ratings: 498
3.82/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L: This beer was almost pitch black until shining a light to it then you could see the light come through it pretty good. The head was very solid it was 2 and a 1/2 to a 3 finger head on a somewhat aggressive pour.
S: The smell is almost all blueberries with a little bit of your basic oatmeal stout smells coming through.
T: Blueberries and then more blueberries. This beer is a blueberry oatmeal stout and that's exactly what it tastes like. Blueberry oatmeal is about the best way to describe this beer or maybe blueberry pancakes either way it's a pretty good tasting beer.
F: It was a little thinner than what I like, especially for a stout.
Overall: A pretty good beer not anything that wowed me or something I would go out of my to get but if it was at a bar I wouldn't mind having one of these again.

3.39/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a glass.

Black liquid; some light passes 'round the edges.

A khaki head which quickly dissipates; no lacing.

Fairly strong blueberry nose.

Medium mouthfeel.

Blueberries recede in the taste; the oatmeal comes forward. Fairly plain after a promising nose, but this is drinkable & is by FAR the best I've had from this brewery.

3.91/5  rDev +17.1%

22 ounce bottle into tulip glass; no bottle dating, but is a recent seasonal release. Pours nearly opaque dark brown/black color with a 2 finger dense and rocky khaki head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Nice dense soapy lacing clings on the glass. Fantastic appearance. Aromas of milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, caramel, toasted oats, dark bread, and lightly tart blueberries; with lighter notes of coffee, smoke, nuttiness, herbal, light pepper, and roast/toasted earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/roast/bready malt, blueberries, and light earthy hop notes; with solid strength. Taste of big milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, caramel, toasted oats, dark bread, and lightly tart blueberries; with lighter notes of coffee, smoke, nuttiness, herbal, light pepper, and roast/toasted earthiness. Light herbal/spicy hop and roast bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, caramel, toasted oats, dark bread, blueberries, herbal, light pepper, and roast/toasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice complexity, robustness, and balance of dark/roast/bready malt, blueberries, and light earthy hop flavors; with a great roast/hop bitter/sweet balance, and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Slight dryness from hop/roast bitterness, lightly increasing through the glass. Medium carbonation and medium-plus body; with a very smooth, creamy/bready, and lightly silky/sticky/chalky mouthfeel that is nice. Zero warming alcohol for 7.9%. Overall this is a very nice fruited oatmeal stout. All around nice complexity, robustness, and balance of dark/roast/bready malt, blueberries, and light earthy hop flavors; very smooth and easy to drink. Good presence of blueberries without being overly tart; with a really nice tasting base oatmeal stout on malt complexity. A very enjoyable offering.

3.42/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Black beer that looks black but doesn't produce much beyond a thin tan head over the top of it. The aroma smacks of roasted malt and a feint berry like notion that isn't super discernable as blueberry.

Taste is nice, not overly sweet, has that bramble quality to it. Some chocolate malt, not overly roasty, smooth enough. Hides alcohol decently.

I thought of it as the best thing Buffalo Bill's has done. The oats give a smooth mouthfeel, the sugar isn't overdone, and the berry quality is just enough.

3.78/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a snifter, nice dark brown topped with a beautiful light brown head and nice lacing. The smell is dominated by blueberry. The blueberry taste is strong with good roasted malt and significant carbonation. It went well with cheese and crackers!

4.09/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Black, khaki head
Smell is blueberry. Its sweet. Roasty
Sweet blueberry. Cream, roasty, slight coffee
Smooth, silky. But my taste buds got wiped out afterwards its a very strong flavor. Hides that abv so well.

This is an excellent beer. One is enough and it wipes your taste out but its so good. A shame to have such a low rating.

3.83/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a glass.

I'm not impressed by gimmicky, fake tasting beers.
This is not one. :)

Pours smooth and easy. Nice creamy head retention. Dark black with a deep cola color coming through the edge of the glass in the light. Blueberry in the nose, like a blueberry muffin. Also a slight hop-like crispness, chocolaty, malty. More sparkly and carbonated on the tongue than I expected, but that oatmeal smoothness is there. A little sticky, even. Some fruity flavors are present, but not as prominent as in the smell. They are fleeting, and a nice grainy flavor picks up from there. Finished malty and bitter while straddling ashy char and fruity ester hints.

3.28/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Emjoyed from the 12 oz bottle in a snifter. This stout pours a rich blackish brown with a moderate heal of brown foam that settles to a thick ring, thing layer, and nice lacing. Nose of blueberries and roasted malts. Flavors follow the nose with bitter coffee and and bitter chocolate malts with substantial char awash in a blueberry note that is decent bit overbearing with the heft of the roasted notes and bitter malt aftertaste. I expected to like this more, but no dice without the smoothness of the oatmeal that I was looking for. Decent mouth feel, lightly creamy, and a bitter finish. Decent but not what I was thirsty for.

Cheers

4.37/5  rDev +30.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm halfway through my second six-pack of this beer and am loving it. They must have changed some stuff up because the older reviews are horrible, but recent ones have gotten better. It's a totally different bottle and labeling now than what is pictured above.
Look: Man this is near perfect. Beautiful two finger head with great retention. It's seriously thick tan clouds that don't move no matter how much you swirl. Lacing is magnificent. My HydroFlask Perfect Pint 'glass' (it's stainless steel) might help with that but truly great. Nice and dark, hardly any light gets through the corners (when I had it in a normal glass).
Smell: Definite Blueberry with subtle classic stout characteristics. As I get past the blueberry, I get tons of chocolate and coffee. It's still muted a bit too much to call it perfect. Not a slap in the face.
Taste: Here is where this stout shines, among other places. I love the slap of blueberry I get, and how the bitterness cloys at the coffee bitterness to combine for a well rounded, but coffee and blueberry forward stout. There's a bitter chocolate there as well. As I type this I can understand how some people might argue it's not balanced great, but this favors my palate and I love it.
Feel: The other only part that is slacking in this beer is that it is a bit thin *compared* to other great stouts I've had. It's still got that chewiness but I just want more. Carbonation may be a bit too much as well, but it's not overpowering. I want a little less to let it sit in my mouth and let it die there before jumping into the pits of my stomach.
Overall: If you couldn't tell, or if you just skipped to here (I do it too) I really admire this beer. I fell in love with my first blueberry stout in Norway three months ago and have been on a hunt for an available substitute ever since. I have found that substitute. Exactly what I look for in an adjunct stout; noticeable berry flavor, with distinct classic stout flavors of coffee and chocolate. I can imagine the beer being better with a bigger aroma and a died down mouthfeel, but hey those are petty complaints. Oh and look at that, I'm near the end of the beer and the head is still there, albeit reduced. Try it, if a bluberry oatmeal stout sounds good to you, you will enjoy it. Cheers to a few more sixpacks!

4.08/5  rDev +22.2%

Black as pitch and flavorful. Had at the Old Millstream Inn in St. Charles,MO a few years ago. Posting the review from notes.

-Pours like a stout should, nearly opaque black. Roasted malts in the nose along with blueberries. Overall an excellent oatmeal stout. Would have again if time warrants it.

4.23/5  rDev +26.6%

Pours a deep black with moderate head. Aroma of blueberries and roasted malt. Smooth oatmeal moderated taste with blueberries quickly followed by roasted malt and a lightly bitter finish of the burnt malt. Very easy to drink and enjoyable to the end. Not a beer for hopheads, but anyone else would enjoy.

3.24/5  rDev -3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a deep chocolate brown with minimal fizzy head and decent lacing. Aroma is full of blueberry, kind of halfway between natural and artificial. Taste is decent, light and has a nice blueberry taste up front and in the finish. Once again, the blueberry flavor almost borders on artificial, but nonetheless, it is pretty good. Mouthfeel is nice, with a good amount of carbonation and a good creaminess. Also, a touch chewy. A light bodied stout. 7.50 ABV you can feel the more you drink, slight burn.

3.71/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours opaque dark brown. The 1/2 inch tan head fades to a cap on top and leaves curtains of lace.

The smell is of roasted dark malt, cocoa, faint blueberry and earthy hops.

The taste is of roasted dark malt, chocolate and a hint of blueberry with a bitter hop finish.

The texture is medium bodied with medium carbonation.

The packaging makes this look like a novelty beer but, this is a solid oatmeal stout with just a hint of blueberry flavor.

4.42/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The best part of the beer it the subtle scent of blueberry pancakes when you hover your nose over it. You can barely notice when you drink it but I love this beer.

3.26/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle poured into a BarrelHouse Brewing Co pint glass

A: Pours dark brown with a slight ruby tone and a frothy tan head that settles and laces well.

S: Sweet blueberry, though not overwhelming, dark roasted malt, a bit floral.

T: Dark roasted malt, pine, some earthiness, just enough blueberry to let you know it's in there though it does come out more as it warms and is most notable on the aftertaste, but not much more than that, closes with an odd lemon like bitterness on the finish.

M: Light to medium body, a some prickly carbonation.

O: This one makes me sad. The idea is there for a tasty beverage, the execution falls way short. Flavor and feel just aren't there.

Pours a thin head on a black body.
The aroma is roasted malt and a hint of blueberry.
The taste starts with roasted malt, then some blueberry, chocolate and finishes with lemon bitterness.
The texture is crisp and fizzy.
The flavor is fine, the texture is too fizzy though.

4.24/5  rDev +26.9%

Quite dark with a think white head and solid carbination. Looked a bit like Coca-cola from afar. Blueberry's dominate the scent, and they are quite strong in the taste. The oatmeal and hoppiness balances out excellently. A tad heavy in the mouth, but goes down smooth and without an aftertaste.

A friend brought over a six pack and forgot it in my fridge. Quite a pleasant suprise and hey, it's tough to beat free beer!

3.92/5  rDev +17.4%

I visited Buffalo Bill's once, over the Holiday Break in 2005. I used to have a girlfriend who lived in Hayward when we were stationed in Alameda in the late-1980s. I awoke this morning, ready for my usual repast of oatmeal (maybe with blueberries, I have that) and coffee, only to realize that the dishwasher was running and all of the necessary utensils were inside of it! Desparate times call for desparate measures and so my day begins in earnest. Random thoughts at 0614 (Local, EDT).

From the bottle: "Handcrafted"; "oatmeal stout brewed with blueberries and natural flavor added".

A screw-top!?! Really?!? I just felt like I went to a lot of unnecessary work and to take out my frustration, I nearly inverted the bottle until I realized what I was doing. At base, it is a stout, so if you do not think that there was a pseudo-cascade going on, you are deluding yourself. It settled into a dense finger of deep-tan head that acted as a cap above the beer. Nose was very fruity, very blueberry, and while I do not enjoy them quite as much as when I was a kid, blueberry pie remains my favorite. Ah, sweet blueberries ... Color was a deep, dark-brown (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration. Mouthfeel was full, kind of creamy, dense with carbonation. The flavor was more blueberry than stout, so depending on your preference, it may or may not work for you. At this hour, it was working for me since I am positive that I would not have wanted a regular stout just now. The blueberry flavor was very evocative of summer and my youth and nostalgic drinking is one of my favorite things to do. Finish was semi-dry, since blueberries do not tend to be downright sweet anyway and when coupled with a non-sweet stout, they negated it being sweet. Very nice.

3.77/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Buffalo Bill's Brewery 'Blueberry Oatmeal Stout' @ 7.5% served from a 350 ml bottle purchased for $2.65

A-pour is cola brown from the bottle to a near black in the glass with some ruby red peeking thru a small tan head leaving a minimal lace along the pint

S-some hint of blueberries

T-boozy oatmeal stout

MF-ok carbonation , feels full body

Ov-ok beer , glad I only bought the single bottle ,

prost LampertLand

4.27/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This past summer, I came upon this tasty little brew at my local package store. Being a lover of blueberry flavored beers and stout, I gave it a shot. I was surprised that the blueberry flavor wasn't sickly sweet, and was well-balanced and didn't have a fake flavor to it. The sweetness from the fruit is balanced out with the toast of the stout. I enjoyed the six pack, and went back to buy more. I found it greatly refreshing on a warm day, and it went very well with burgers. My local didn't have any more, so I ordered it. I was told it was a winter seasonal and that I'd have to wait a few months to get more. I happened to buy the last one leftover from the last batch. When I can find it, it's a mainstay in my fridge.

3.96/5  rDev +18.6%

From the beginning, this beer asserts itself as a stout with its look: colored nearly black with brown hints in the light and a certain thickness to it, the light brown head a firm and frothy finger in height. It's not as assertive as it can be, with just more than moderate lace, but it' straightforward for sure.
There's a nice blueberry right up front in both aroma and flavor. Malts are sturdy and light on the roast, though that aspect is mildly present. the lighter roast lends the focus to the blueberry, though, as well as the creamier sweetness and the lightly earthy oat. Just a hint of baker's chocolate rides in, and a slight hint of creamy smokiness sneaks into the finish. This is a pleasant surprise from a brewery that hasn't wowed me before.
The mouthfeel follows the flavor nicely, smooth all the way as hoped in a mostly full body with some robustness to it. Roast is most noticeable in the feel, actually, leading into a roasty-dry finish. It COULD be a little fuller-bodied and ever so slightly smoother for the style.

4.14/5  rDev +24%

I just happen to see this beer on the shelve for the 1st time last Friday after work, so I thought Id try it since I like beer with flavor. It looked good. Well It is good. Good taste smell and 7.5% to boot with no nasty after after taste. Awesome If you like stout beer youll enjoy this brew very much.

3.54/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

OK, one last review for 2013. It items like a cheap stout. Black and not a lot of head, bit nothing funky.

The aroma is fruity the taste similarly is donated by the fruit, but has a little bitter going on. Both taste, aroma and aftertaste are pretty clean.

It all sort of works, but just barely. I intend to avoid this and everything from this brewery going forward.

3.28/5  rDev -1.8%

I bought a six-pack of Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout in a grocery store. Poured into a tulip.

Pours a black walnut color, nearly opaque with some garnet red hues when held up to the light. A modest beige head caps the brew.

Smell is decidedly blueberry. Not much besides that.

Taste is a sweet berry flavor up front, with a charcoal and coffee flavor in the middle and a dry blueberry fllavored finish.

Mouthfeel is a little thin for a stout. Dry and not cloying.

Overall a drinkable beery flavored stout. Better than I thought it would be.

2.56/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

When I first opened the bottle, it was like opening a very high carbonated soda with lots of noise! Pours a dark reddish brown with a thick head that took forever to dissipate. I have never seen this before. The aroma was pleasing with like a wheat blueberry pie. Just one sip and your mouth filled up with the carbonation! Damn Sam! Didn't taste too bad but the excessive carbonation killed it overall. Ended up poring the last 1/4 in the sink.

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout from Buffalo Bill's Brewery