A Few Hops More | Sun King Brewing Company

2.5/5  rDev -36.9%

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%

poured cold from the tap at yogis, first to a mini pitcher and then to a 12oz snifter a deep, almost mahogany shaded copper with a full finger, foamy, off white - almost tan head with nice retention leaving a good bit of lace after each sip.

aroma of grapefruit hops, though more subtle than expected. this glass is following up a dreadnaught, so your mileage may vary.

hops are indeed present, but it's not the hop bomb that I expected to hit me in the face. my memory may fail me, but the fistful was perhaps a bit more hops forward. a nice biscuity malt balances out this one and hides the abv as if a garden variety pale rather than the DIPA it is.

light bodied, big carbonation, medium bitter, sweet malt balance.

overall - way above par DIPA, sweeter than advertised.

4.37/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The logical sequel to A Fistful of Hops. ABV is an approximation, told to me one of the tap pullers at the brewery.

This is a thick, aggressively hoppy IPA. When I sampled a little bit of it at the brewery, I thought it was unbalanced and hop bomby. In the two days this has been sitting in my fridge, in a growler, either my pallet has changed or this has mellowed.

Smells like grapefruit hops, predominantly, with some biscuity malt balance and fruity complexities. Tastes pretty much the same as it smells--very hoppy but not unbalanced--only it's a wee bit too carbonate. Ahh... that might have been the problem at the brewery. Beers lose fizz in even the most tightly sealed of growlers, and a big rush of bubbles is the sort of thing that can make an IPA seem a lot less balanced than it actually is.

So... the beer is very good, as I'm drinking it, but your experience may vary.

A Few Hops More from Sun King Brewing Company