Pumpkin Stout | Fremont Brewing Company

Fremont Brewing Company
Washington, United States
fremontbrewing.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by RedDiamond on 11-03-2009

3.93/5  rDev 0%

It took 'em awhile to pour this one. Quite awhile actually, and it wasn't even a nitro pour. I got up and walked about the room, admired the artwork and such while the server shoveled spoon after spoon of foam from the pint. If it's worth waiting for, I don't mind waiting. And this one was worth the wait.

Admittedly, I'm skeptical of the concept of a pumpkin stout. Wouldn't the fleshy earthiness of the pumpkin get lost in the roasted graininess of the stout? As it turns out, yes, the pumpkin was largely buried. I noted some suggestive pumpkin qualities in the foreground, but these didn't feature prominently and it was a leap of faith to take this at its word as a pumpkin stout. I'm told however, that plenty of brave organic pumpkins gave their lives for this beer.

Beyond the tall tan suds hurling lace everywhere was a strong taste of bitter chocolate, American-style bittering, and a round, inflated mouthfeel. The pumpkin contributed a vague peculiarity, but the stout itself did more than withstand it. This one's a matter of personal preference perhaps more than others. I enjoyed it. But it was good in spite of the pumpkin rather than because of it.

Pumpkin Stout from Fremont Brewing Company