Mean Old Tom Nitro - Aged on Vanilla Beans

n/a
Notes:
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 5 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.37/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Jacob’s Pickles, NYC.

Pours a pitch black color with a well retaining lovely foam cap. There is lots of lacing throughout.

Inviting aroma that showcases dark biscuity malts, chocolate, vanilla and coffee. There are also hints of grassy hops and dark fruit.

The taste aligns with the aroma. The nitro yields low carbonation with a smooth, creamy and mouth coating mouthfeel. Full bodied with a long finish that has some bitterness. Sweet overall with light roasty bitterness and grassy and minty hops flavors.

As much of a fan I am of the standard Mean Old Tom, I found that the nitro and vanilla iteration was wonderful and makes it arguably better than the original.

3.62/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours an effervescent mahogany with 3 fingers of tan head. Above average head retention

S: Faint roastyness, woody hops,

T: Very roasty and dry, woody hops and vanilla up front. Roastyness prevails as this warms, some woody hops, some iron notes. Finishes dry and roasty

MF: Medium body, slight carbonation

Decent stout, was expecting better

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

I am new to reviewing, so I will just state that I was comparing this to two Stouts I have tried from 4 Quarters Brewery. Normally I drink IPA's but I tried Morningstar Stout on draft about 2 weeks ago and it was so exceptional it has me searching Eastern Ma to find it again. I was in Western Mass and I found "Chocolate Drop" at a whole foods store but I only drank one of the 4 cans I bought. Last night a friend offered me a "Mean Old Tom" and it was very good. Maybe 4.25 good, and if I go to Maine that is what I would drink but first I want to go back to Winooski to drink a Morningstar stout that I rated 4.5

Mean Old Tom Nitro - Aged on Vanilla Beans from Maine Beer Company