Blind Pig Über Weizen | The Blind Pig Brewery

Average: 4.01 | pDev: 10.97%
Needs more ratings to obtain a BA Score.

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 6

German Weizenbock | 8.10% ABV

Wants   Gots

The Blind Pig Brewery
Illinois, United States
blindpigbrewery.com

Notes: Rotating availibility. Is it an Imperial Weissbier, a Helles Weizenbock, or a Wheat Wine? Who knows? It's pale like a traditional Weizen, and fermented with our usual Weizen yeast, but don't underestimate it!
N/A
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 6
4.49/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the brewery, and it is good to see them still making this after all these years. I feel this is much more in the pale Weizenbock style. Like Vitus, than any Wheatwine I have tasted. Though that is just my opinion.

A: Pours a deep hazed, almost murky yellow/orange color. A dense two finger white head forms with excellent retention. Spiderweb looking lace is left down the glass.
S: Yeast and fruity esters are the show, which is to say stunning and fantastic. Banana, clove, spice, then some sweet honeydew melon, along with pears and apples. This is outstanding.
T: Like the nose, yeast and fruity esters are ridiculously amazing. Banana, pears, honeydew melons. With a doughy, almost baked bread like malt character. Again stunning and fantastic.
M/O: A full body with good carbonation. The crisp carbonation leads into superlative smoothness. So silky, this is to die for. The alcohol content is nowhere to be seen, and something I can come back to again and again.

IMO, this is an excellent example of a pale Weizenbock, and if the powers that be decides this to be a Wheatwine after my update then fine. Though people that love Vitus will not only love this, but this holds its own really well to any example I have had from that style. Really well made, to say the least.

4.55/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I dropped in this evening for a quick one, and was initially planning on having a Southern Tier Mokah, always one of my favorites. When I saw Uber Weizen on the menu, however, I gave it a read for some details in the description. When I saw the question, "Is it a Helles Weizenbock, or is it a Wheatwine?" that was all I needed. A great order, and a great beer.

Murky orange body with lemon outlines, topped by a dense finger of off-white froth in the Blind Pig tulip glass; excellent lacing and duration leave me duly impressed. The yeast comes across strongly in the smell and taste, somewhat wildly in the taste but more restrained in the nose. Lots of fruity aromas, mainly pear, sour apple, and grape. Fabulous.

The taste leans more toward sour than sweet, but isn't bitter. The yeast is certainly an active ingredient, making Uber Weizen bold and a touch wild. Between the sour fruit taste and the rich, irrepressible effervescence, this almost tastes like a souped-up Tripel, with tangerine and some mango sweetening the flavor base, to me. But there is just enough malt to keep things in check. I am selecting Wheatwine as the style, although others may differ and consider this a form of Weizenbock. However, given the lighter color, flavor content, and comparability to Wheatwine, this seems perfectly appropriate to me.

This is nothing short of magnificent, a superb way to end a day of working out in 89-degree heat (as I did today) on a hot, humid sunny day. It is accessible, flavorful, bold, and complex but, even for 8.4%, is a sure-fire drinker. Had I not been in a hurry to run some errands, I would have had a couple more. One of the very best, if not THE best, that Blind Pig Brewery makes, Uber Weizen is a magnificent beer. very well done and, for fans of the Blind Pig within range, this is easily worth stepping out for a couple.

Blind Pig Über Weizen from The Blind Pig Brewery