Roscoe's Hop House Original India Pale Ale | World Brews

2.74/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

4.25/5  rDev +52.3%

1.3/5  rDev -53.4%

By far the worst IPA I've had. Its a travesty to even label this an IPA. I fail to see how this garners an ipa tag, no hops, no welcome bitterness. Do not buy. Lagunitas, the Firestone offerings, SN torpedo etc is all vastly better. This offering makes Budweiser taste good

3.53/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A-pours a deep copper color with a 1-finger head, off-white in color. The beer's color brightens some when held to the light, which also reveals some carbonation. While not hazy or cloudy, it looks dense. All kinds of lacing.

S-Very malt heavy for an IPA, showing some sweetness and alcohol. Some citrus, orange to me, hops linger in the background.

T- Hop flavors of citrus and earthy pine mix with that strong maltiness. Not as sweet as the aromas indicate, not full on IPA either. Some spiciness.

M- pretty solid feel with some sizzle from the carbonation. The hop bitterness is a hit and run, letting the malts finish.

O- I wonder if this is really an IPA, but I seem to like it more what it rates from its reviews. I acknowledge its faults, but it wasn't bad.

3.75/5  rDev +34.4%

2.5/5  rDev -10.4%

1.12/5  rDev -59.9%

This is my first review, although I use Beer advocate religiously. Most of the time reviews are pretty spot on with my palate, but every now and then a beer is so bad that additional input needs to be added.

... this is one of those beers.

I'd like to think that have a pretty sophisticated palate and I always give a beer 2 or 3 chances before making a final judgement. I have done that and my opinion has not changed from my first sip. This is awful, quite possibly the worst beer I have ever drank. I would rather drink a macro brew than this.

A: Consistent with the style, nice color, good carbonation. That's where the positive issues end.

S: Horrible, imagine a meth house with a hint of lime zest. For those of you that don't know many a meth house smells like cat urine. I have never done meth, but think I would rather do it than drink another of these.

T: Indescribable. HInt of citrus, no maltiness, no hops. Taste consistent with the smell.

M: Seems a little watered down, flat compared to the effervescence that appears during the original pour.

Overall: I don't think i need to add any more descriptors. It is just a bad beer. I have not tried any of Roscoes other offerings, but this is enough to make me weary of that. I am a very forgiving beer drinker, but I can't help but wonder who enjoys this beer.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast