Tap Room No. 21 IPA

Notes:
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 27 | Ratings: 99
2.9/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

2.99 a six pack. But it smells like cough medicine. It doesn't taste as bad as it smells, but it doesn't taste very good either. It reminds me of my first rookie Homebrew IPA..some stuff is right about it, but a lot of it is wrong. It's drinkable though. Maybe that's it's best quality. Drinkable - as in able to drink, but not want more. But if you're on a budget like I am, you can't complain at the price point. And this batch is 6.9%.

3.61/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 11/4/2016. Pours crystal clear golden amber/light orange color with a 2 finger fairly dense and rocky off white head with fantastic retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Nice thick soapy lacing clings around the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Fantastic appearance. Aromas of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, apricot, lemon zest, orange peel, light pepper/pine, caramel, toasted biscuit, herbal, and floral/grassy earthiness. Nice aromas with good balance and complexity of citrus/pine hops and dark/bready malt notes; with good strength. Taste of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, apricot, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, light pepper/pine, caramel, toasted biscuit, herbal, and floral/grassy earthiness. Light-moderate pine, citrus peel, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, apricot, lemon/orange peel, citrus rind, pepper, pine, caramel, toasted biscuit, and herbal/floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a while. Nice complexity, robustness, and balance of citrus/pine hops and dark/bready malt flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance, and zero lingering hop astringency after the finish. Light-moderate increasing dryness from bitterness. Medium carbonation and medium-plus body; with a very smooth, moderately creamy/bready/sticky, and slightly resinous/rindy balanced mouthfeel that is nice. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 6.9%. Overall this is a good IPA. All around good complexity, robustness, and balance of citrus/pine hops and dark/bready malt flavors; very smooth and easy to drink with the modestly bitter/drying finish. Nice levels of hop presence; though quite on the malty side, it is adequately drying. Nice showcase of the Centennial, Chinook, Columbus hops; without being too sweet/heavy feeling on the malts. A nicely enjoyable offering. A lot better than I expected.

2.19/5  rDev -25%

I got this because I saw a $6 price tag at the local grocery store. I thought I would take the gamble at the possibility a finding a cheap brand that brews a no-nonsense, tasty IPA. This effort was a flop. The taste starts out promisingly with a bright, white-ale-like taste. This is followed by a weird chemical taste that anyone, beer snob or otherwise, would immediately peg as out-of-place. There's a bitter finish that reminds me a little of burning the roof of my mouth with pizza that wasn't good in the first place. The smell is neither good nor bad - it smells like hops, malt, and wheat, but without much character. Appearance is hazy, amber, and unremarkable. Mouth feel is acidic with moderate carbonation. I'll have another one in a few days on the off-chance it grows on me. I've enjoyed worse beers more than I enjoy this one. But at the moment, I'm not planning on buying again.

3.18/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I'm not a fan of this one. It's not terrible, but the aftertaste is kinda musty... and lingers. I'm drinking a glass of milk right now to get the taste out of my mouth lol. Slightly, but not very hoppy. You can tell it's brewed with cheap hops and malts. It's definitely not an IPA, in my honest opinion. Kind of a weird, hoppy-ish lager I would say. Tap Room should stick with making lagers. Their session IPA is actually better than this, tastewise. Just for everyone's reference, the Tap Room 21 IPA isn't the brew in the pic... Their IPA is in a red bottle, and their session IPA is in a green bottle. The IPA is 6.9% ABV not 6.3. And I would guess it's around 45 or 50 IBUs. I think the session is around 5.5, but I can't really remember. I've only had it once, and this is the one and only time I'll have the IPA. Like I said, it's not that terrible... but I'm a hophead, and this beer just doesn't cut the mustard. Probably why it's cheaper than other IPAs.

3.15/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

My bottle looks different. It is a red black and white label and it says Rochester New York.

The brew had little head to start and none fir the most pay. It's clear and deep yellow. The aroma is a nice dark smell, unlike most ipas, and more like a strong ale.

The taste is malty bitter mess. There seems to be a bit of bottle funk in the too.

This could have been an old bottle but I still could not recommend this.

4.29/5  rDev +46.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Liked this one. First sip had me smiling. Good flavor, not too hoppy for an ipa, felt more like a lager. I am a bottle baby so no discussion of pour and color was noted. If it were a true Session, it's alcohol content might be lower but I think they were going for it's light flavor and feel when they called it that. Overall, very enjoyable. Just expect lighter than your average ipa.

A session IPA at 6.3% huh? Let's see how this goes. Pours a pale Amber, with a thick, frothy pale tan head. Aroma is a dash of pine with a lot of toasted malt. Taste is even more malty, slightly sweet, with a bit of piney hop bitterness to balance it out. Feel is medium bodied, slightly gritty with a lingering finish. Not something anyone should session and not something I would ever buy again.

3.66/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Solid every day beer. It's not super hoppy but has a nice flavor with minimal after taste. Good neutral ipa. I noticed in NC the Session IPA (new labeling from below photo) is the most popular of the 4 taproom beers stocked at the local grocery store in NC. Does tend to sell out on Fridays where I live and shop.it'

For me, it's nice to Friday beer to have with Pizza, Pasta ect. Good flavor but does not overpower.

2.51/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Tap Room Session IPA.

I'll be the first to admit that their pumpkin ale really impressed me and quickly shot up to one of my favorites in the style. Still is park three of tonight's straggler series beers that have been sitting in my fridge for awhile. Lets drink it.

Look - From the twelve ounce bottle hard poured into a pint glass. This brew comes out with a deep, murky, amber coloration sitting amongst it a two finger, slightly off white head that starts leaving immediate stick everywhere. Dies down to a nice frothy cap amongst the top of the swill with a thick ring around the edges.

Smell - Uhhhh...what?. Smells like caramel malts which I could perhaps somewhat understand if that's the backbone your going for...but there is virtually no hop presence in this beer whatsoever. Almost smells like an adjunct lager had sloppy drunk sex with an amber ale and it got the bad genetics.

Taste - Yeah once again big malts but they do change a bit here. Thus far tastes a lot more like a few German Dunkels I've come across. I really don't feel like getting into the nuances for once since I don't even feel much like reviewing tonight. But it has a dark bready touch to it along side an odd fruity twang that simply does not match. Some plastic flavorings as well.

Feel - The body seem more akin to the style with a heavy feel and a moderate amount of carbonation but something scream " Chemical "as it sits around in my mouth. Flavors all retain with a touch of onion and solvent. Swallows a bit harsh but not too harsh to drink.

Overall - If this is an IPA, then I'm Don Knotts. At least, I made his face upon the first sip. Nothing here comes across as to style except a faint amount of unpleasant and dirty onion like hop upon the swallow. More like a first timers homebrew attempt at a Euro Dark. Wouldn't buy it again, and suggest you don't buy it. Looked nice, but this beer was like picking up a 5'3, 120 pound hottie at the bar with perfect C cups and taking her home only to find out she has a penis bigger than yours. Leave this beer to Jim Lahey.

3.75/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a light orange with some amber highlights and has a small white head. The aroma is citrus and is fairly nice. The taste has mild hops and citrus. The best beer I have had from World Brews.

2.42/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Malt bomb, not in style. IPA, I don't think so.............Way too many malts, no hop profile. All I get are flat malt tastes. Are there hops in this, if so, they are well hidden somewhere..

1.43/5  rDev -51%

I don't post much but I felt very compelled in this case. Not only is this beer so far out of style, but even as a "mixed style" beer this beer is barely drinkable. It is billed as an American style IPA but it's not even close. It lacks the classic in your face hoppiness and it has way too many specialty malts. I sense a healthy dose of high Lovibond caramel malts and possibly some biscuit or Munich malts, both of which are inappropriate for this style. It tastes closer to a scotch ale, but not a particularly good one at that. What was the brewer thinking?

3.61/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

kinda different than your typical ipa. im not the most experienced beer drinker out there but id have guessed it was an ale with its very subdued hoppieness, or maybe a pale ale. on the malty side for and indian pale ale. overall a good experience but not one to write home about imo. I do like their theme on the bottles. always a fan of referencing prohibitions ending, just makes me appreciate a beer that much more I suppose

2.28/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

* Bottle says Rochester, NY but I see Novato, CA on their website so I guess this is the right place for this rating after all. Weird. *

L – 1 finger head after pouring to glass. Dark coppery amber – quite dark for an IPA. Decent clarity.
S – Rich, malty, some caramel. No discernable hop nose. Different.
T – Balance of bitterness with malt. Some sweetness. Wow…for an IPA the hops are nearly nonexistent – about as much hop character as Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Way too little for style.
M – Nice carbonation, although perhaps maybe a bit more would bring out what little hops are in here? Body on the full side for an IPA but reasonable.
O – Was intrigued by the darker color when poured, however for the most part this left a lot to be desired after that. Where are the hops? Honestly, glad I only had 1 as I wouldn’t have wanted more than that. Blah.

4.13/5  rDev +41.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Look: Light orange/amber, clear

Smell: Citrus, floral, earthy.

Taste: Initial nice bitterness with earthy, floral, and bready notes with a citrus finish. Well-balanced mix of bitterness and flavor. I think the start and finish were the part that got me hooked.

Feel: Appropriately carbonated, good mouthfeel.

Overall: Enjoyed this much more than expected after reading others' reviews. Did not experience the maltiness that others expressed and is usually a turnoff for me as it can cause kind of a metallic taste. This, however, had a nice bitterness up front and flavorful citrus finish.

Ran across Tap Room 21 IPA on my journey down IPA alley. Found it to have high carbonation, descent ibu level (more from citrus than hops,) lingering head. More of a PA than an IPA light on the hops and a little heavy on the fruit.

3.25/5  rDev +11.3%

I am an IPA and PA lover from way back and the first drink of this was very good, nice hops nice citrus. Very smooth for an IPA and too easy to swallow. This I would session drink. I was painting the porch and drank 4 while doing so without feeling full or squiffy. Nice beer for a long day. Might take this one fishing.

3.75/5  rDev +28.4%

This is a good beer.
That being said, relative to other IPAs, this is a bit on the modest side (flavor is weak, not as hoppy as usual). This IPA is smoother than I'm used to, which is a bit surprising. The good thing is this: if you prefer IPAs and you're with a group of people who prefer ales, this may be a good meeting ground (IMHO).

2.86/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Very light amber with a decent enough head.

S - Very fruity with minimal malt aroma.

T - Fruity with a hint of malt, but somewhat watered down.

M - Somewhat thin although the carbonation is decent enough.

O - I won't be buying this again. I expect a certain intensity in both the smell and taste from an IPA and this one misses on both accounts. If it was marketed as a "Light IPA" I would be OK with it, but there are so many good choices in IPA's that there is no reason to settle for a pretender.

3.68/5  rDev +26%

taproom no 21 india pale ale
poured from the 12 oz bottle into my new belgium goblet

a:
honey colored, cloudy rather than clear, very slight head with minimalist lacing

s just a BIT of hoppiness along with ABV (really not much to the nose here)

t nice bite, without the aroma, hard to tell if the bite is ABV or hop

m nice and heavy, medium carbonation

d not a
"session" beer but really good

1.83/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

A little like Russian Roulette, sampling these Tap Room 21 brews. Let's see what I hit this time. Poured into a snifter.

Pours a clean copper, with a surprisingly large head that holds fairly well. Not a bad start at all., actually!

Aroma is... uh... aroma is... um... there is no aroma. Okay, that's slightly overstating it, but not by much. If I stick my nose really deeply into the glass, I get a faint, candy-like aroma, a bit like smelling an empty can of Mandarin oranges a couple days after you've eaten them. But that's really it. No hop, no malt, nothing but that oddly sweet citrus, and even that is so faint you have to convince yourself it's there.

And the flavor? Well, it's a bit more pronounced than that aroma, but emphasis is on "a bit". There's a small citrus like flavor, very little bitterness, and then, unfortunately, that astringent metallic flavor I got from the witbier this brewery makes comes crashing in. There's a sharp, chalky, soapy flavor which follows that, and then it all disappears, except for the lingering metallic flavor. There's nothing way off (if you don't count the fact it really shouldn't taste like metal or soap), but it's just blah. I not only can't say this is an IPA, I'm seriously hard pressed to say this is a beer. It isn't bad, per se, it just isn't anything at all. I'm not sure that's better, to be honest. There isn't even enough here to hate.

Mouthfeel is "Perrier" like. Thin, biting, a bit chalky. Not at all what it should be, either.

I try to be positive in my reviews. This... I just can't. This is badly made. Again, it isn't "bad" in the sense that there are a whole lot of off flavors or aromas. There just isn't anything at all here. It's slightly citrus flavored carbonated water with a really high mineral content. I cannot with a clear conscience recommend this to anyone. I got it as a gift, and I always appreciate gifted beer, but this is just poorly made. Avoid.

2.48/5  rDev -15.1%

My wife surprised me with a new beer after a long and difficult week at work. This weeks surprise was Tap Room IPA. I was very excited to try it, however, after my first sip out of a glass, very disappointed. This should not even classify as an IPA. I tasted almost no bitterness/hops that one would be expect from an IPA, the only thing I could make out was apricot or orange peel. The citrus flavor was overwhelming...it smells nice has great body, it's smooth, but just not what you would expect from an IPA.

2.8/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Okay single IPAs are definitely out of my taste range now that I have spoiled myself on double IPAs for the last two years or so. As such I do apologize if my ratings are skewed down a bit. A great honey color appearance with a nice head that feel off quite quickly. I did not get any strong aroma of the typical hop / citrus smell associated with IPAs, though it did come off very weakly though. I really like the consistency with this IPA from the the tip of my tongue to the back of my throat this is a smooth IPA with a balance flavor that changes ever so slightly as it moves along my palate. Adding just a few more pounds of hops would really kick this up to a very good IPA instead of just an average or so IPA.

3.43/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours with a copper body, bright off white head cream colored if had to establish more detail. Light patches of hit and miss lace stick to the sides of the glass. Aroma has a nice hop nose with cluster hops and hop pellet generic hop action but very clean with a bit of dankness, citrus, and earthy pine. Not horrible, smelling but the taste is straight up offensive with raw bitter hops more or less muddled hop pellet bitterness with just enough malts to keep you from gagging lacks balance pretty horrible. As it warms up a bit malts come through it's really not the worst IPA I've ever had but with so many excellent options out there why waste your time, carbonation is a bit much. Medium bodied slick slightly oily with enough to keep the palate wanting another sip at first I thought it was a drain pour ended up being just okay though.

3.23/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - orangish amber with a thick, soft cap of dense, off white head that has decent retention

S - caramel malt and some very faint citrus aromas

T - caramel malt, light citrusy character, mild pine in the finish, a somewhat bitter finish

M - medium bodied, crisp, a tad overcarbonated

This is pretty much what you would expect from a cheap, grocery store, contract brewed IPA. It's moderately hopped and easy to drink. This is one of those beers that you could easily knock back straight from the bottle without giving it much thought. This certainly won't please any true IPA fans, but it may intrigue those fans of APAs who are looking for something inexpensive.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast