Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Tap Room No. 21 IPA | World Brews

wineryexchange.com

Style: American IPA

Added by zeff80 on 05-15-2013

3.61/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 11/4/2016. Pours crystal clear golden amber/light orange color with a 2 finger fairly dense and rocky off white head with fantastic retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Nice thick soapy lacing clings around the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Fantastic appearance. Aromas of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, apricot, lemon zest, orange peel, light pepper/pine, caramel, toasted biscuit, herbal, and floral/grassy earthiness. Nice aromas with good balance and complexity of citrus/pine hops and dark/bready malt notes; with good strength. Taste of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, apricot, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, light pepper/pine, caramel, toasted biscuit, herbal, and floral/grassy earthiness. Light-moderate pine, citrus peel, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, apricot, lemon/orange peel, citrus rind, pepper, pine, caramel, toasted biscuit, and herbal/floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a while. Nice complexity, robustness, and balance of citrus/pine hops and dark/bready malt flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance, and zero lingering hop astringency after the finish. Light-moderate increasing dryness from bitterness. Medium carbonation and medium-plus body; with a very smooth, moderately creamy/bready/sticky, and slightly resinous/rindy balanced mouthfeel that is nice. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 6.9%. Overall this is a good IPA. All around good complexity, robustness, and balance of citrus/pine hops and dark/bready malt flavors; very smooth and easy to drink with the modestly bitter/drying finish. Nice levels of hop presence; though quite on the malty side, it is adequately drying. Nice showcase of the Centennial, Chinook, Columbus hops; without being too sweet/heavy feeling on the malts. A nicely enjoyable offering. A lot better than I expected.

2.19/5  rDev -24.7%

I got this because I saw a $6 price tag at the local grocery store. I thought I would take the gamble at the possibility a finding a cheap brand that brews a no-nonsense, tasty IPA. This effort was a flop. The taste starts out promisingly with a bright, white-ale-like taste. This is followed by a weird chemical taste that anyone, beer snob or otherwise, would immediately peg as out-of-place. There's a bitter finish that reminds me a little of burning the roof of my mouth with pizza that wasn't good in the first place. The smell is neither good nor bad - it smells like hops, malt, and wheat, but without much character. Appearance is hazy, amber, and unremarkable. Mouth feel is acidic with moderate carbonation. I'll have another one in a few days on the off-chance it grows on me. I've enjoyed worse beers more than I enjoy this one. But at the moment, I'm not planning on buying again.

3.52/5  rDev +21%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.18/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I'm not a fan of this one. It's not terrible, but the aftertaste is kinda musty... and lingers. I'm drinking a glass of milk right now to get the taste out of my mouth lol. Slightly, but not very hoppy. You can tell it's brewed with cheap hops and malts. It's definitely not an IPA, in my honest opinion. Kind of a weird, hoppy-ish lager I would say. Tap Room should stick with making lagers. Their session IPA is actually better than this, tastewise. Just for everyone's reference, the Tap Room 21 IPA isn't the brew in the pic... Their IPA is in a red bottle, and their session IPA is in a green bottle. The IPA is 6.9% ABV not 6.3. And I would guess it's around 45 or 50 IBUs. I think the session is around 5.5, but I can't really remember. I've only had it once, and this is the one and only time I'll have the IPA. Like I said, it's not that terrible... but I'm a hophead, and this beer just doesn't cut the mustard. Probably why it's cheaper than other IPAs.

3.37/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.85/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.42/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.15/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

My bottle looks different. It is a red black and white label and it says Rochester New York.

The brew had little head to start and none fir the most pay. It's clear and deep yellow. The aroma is a nice dark smell, unlike most ipas, and more like a strong ale.

The taste is malty bitter mess. There seems to be a bit of bottle funk in the too.

This could have been an old bottle but I still could not recommend this.

3.08/5  rDev +5.8%

4.29/5  rDev +47.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Liked this one. First sip had me smiling. Good flavor, not too hoppy for an ipa, felt more like a lager. I am a bottle baby so no discussion of pour and color was noted. If it were a true Session, it's alcohol content might be lower but I think they were going for it's light flavor and feel when they called it that. Overall, very enjoyable. Just expect lighter than your average ipa.

A session IPA at 6.3% huh? Let's see how this goes. Pours a pale Amber, with a thick, frothy pale tan head. Aroma is a dash of pine with a lot of toasted malt. Taste is even more malty, slightly sweet, with a bit of piney hop bitterness to balance it out. Feel is medium bodied, slightly gritty with a lingering finish. Not something anyone should session and not something I would ever buy again.

4.32/5  rDev +48.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2.38/5  rDev -18.2%

3.39/5  rDev +16.5%

3.66/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Solid every day beer. It's not super hoppy but has a nice flavor with minimal after taste. Good neutral ipa. I noticed in NC the Session IPA (new labeling from below photo) is the most popular of the 4 taproom beers stocked at the local grocery store in NC. Does tend to sell out on Fridays where I live and shop.it'

For me, it's nice to Friday beer to have with Pizza, Pasta ect. Good flavor but does not overpower.

3.29/5  rDev +13.1%

2.51/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Tap Room Session IPA.

I'll be the first to admit that their pumpkin ale really impressed me and quickly shot up to one of my favorites in the style. Still is park three of tonight's straggler series beers that have been sitting in my fridge for awhile. Lets drink it.

Look - From the twelve ounce bottle hard poured into a pint glass. This brew comes out with a deep, murky, amber coloration sitting amongst it a two finger, slightly off white head that starts leaving immediate stick everywhere. Dies down to a nice frothy cap amongst the top of the swill with a thick ring around the edges.

Smell - Uhhhh...what?. Smells like caramel malts which I could perhaps somewhat understand if that's the backbone your going for...but there is virtually no hop presence in this beer whatsoever. Almost smells like an adjunct lager had sloppy drunk sex with an amber ale and it got the bad genetics.

Taste - Yeah once again big malts but they do change a bit here. Thus far tastes a lot more like a few German Dunkels I've come across. I really don't feel like getting into the nuances for once since I don't even feel much like reviewing tonight. But it has a dark bready touch to it along side an odd fruity twang that simply does not match. Some plastic flavorings as well.

Feel - The body seem more akin to the style with a heavy feel and a moderate amount of carbonation but something scream " Chemical "as it sits around in my mouth. Flavors all retain with a touch of onion and solvent. Swallows a bit harsh but not too harsh to drink.

Overall - If this is an IPA, then I'm Don Knotts. At least, I made his face upon the first sip. Nothing here comes across as to style except a faint amount of unpleasant and dirty onion like hop upon the swallow. More like a first timers homebrew attempt at a Euro Dark. Wouldn't buy it again, and suggest you don't buy it. Looked nice, but this beer was like picking up a 5'3, 120 pound hottie at the bar with perfect C cups and taking her home only to find out she has a penis bigger than yours. Leave this beer to Jim Lahey.

3.43/5  rDev +17.9%

3.04/5  rDev +4.5%

Just ok

2.99/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

3.75/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a light orange with some amber highlights and has a small white head. The aroma is citrus and is fairly nice. The taste has mild hops and citrus. The best beer I have had from World Brews.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

Terrible.

2.89/5  rDev -0.7%

For it to be an IPA it taste like a hoppy lager. That's it.

Tap Room No. 21 IPA from World Brews