Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Lloyd's Christmas Ale | Swamp Head Brewery

Added by cjgator3 on 12-30-2013

2.95/5  rDev -22.2%

4.35/5  rDev +14.8%

4.04/5  rDev +6.6%

They brewed this again this year. I really like it. Tastes like a christmas tree, very piney. Nice hop balance, with a dry finish. I'd get this again!

3.69/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Swamp Head Rate #37. Puts me at the top of the Swamp Head raters. Boom! Had this on tap at the brewery and it was unique. Added as an Amber Ale, as I wasn’t quite sure how to characterize. Perhaps spice beer is better? Anyway, pours dark red with a small white head on top. Aroma of pine trees, pine trees, and more pine trees. I don’t get much else here, but I guess that is the point. Flavor follows with big bitter pine, very different from what you get with hops...this is unmistakeably pine needles. Some hops in there maybe, and a bit of bready malt in the background. Palate is medium and dry with big bitter as expected. This was a neat experiment and worth trying. Probably not drinkable in large quantities, but I enjoyed the experience.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%