Hop Goddess | Callahan's Pub & Brewery

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by RoyalT on 09-22-2010

Reviews by RoyalT:
3.18/5  rDev 0%

Appearance - This is almost brown in color with a nice reddish hue and a lasting, off-white head.

Smell - The monster pine perfumed the entire pub. This almost has to be dry-hopped as the resin just flooded the nostrils. You have literally no chance of smelling anything else in this beer as the hops just completely dominated this nose.

Taste - The killer pine is just as strong at the taste as it was at the smell which I didn't think at all possible. This is a hop-lover's dream but for the more even-handed taster the lack of malt balance sticks out like a sore thumb.

Mouthfeel - This was just barely medium in the body and flat in the cheeks. I don't look for a lot of carbonation in this style but I would say that this was undercarbonated. The finish was predicatably bitter.

Drinkability - I really enjoyed the strong hop profile here and it definitely delivered on its name, but the complete lack of apparent effort to balance this ale I think was a big mistake. Hop addicts maybe won't be able to get enough of this beer but anyone looking for a well-rounded drink will be sorely disappointed.

4.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Darker golden/red, some good head and lacing.

S - Hops, hops, & more. Citrus and grapefruit come to mind and so do a DIPA, some what bitter with a malty backbone.

T - Taste is super charged hops and bitter after taste (I like it), with some pine resin/wood back ground. Grapefruit and citrus also come through, again reminds me of a good DIPA.

M - Medium carbonation and some bitter bite/aftertaste, this is a drinker for the hop head.

D - Drinks great for hop heads, pretty heavy taste and overall great cringe/bite. I could have more than a few if I was in a IPA mood. Might be a little over the top for the miller/bud crew.

Hop Goddess from Callahan's Pub & Brewery