Friar IPA | San Diego Brewing Co.

Awaiting More Ratings

San Diego Brewing Co.
sandiegobrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by xlperro on 09-03-2002

2.8/5  rDev -13%

Draft @ San Diego Brewing. Pours clear gold with a small white head. Floral aroma of peppery hops and grass. More malty than hoppy, with a sour taste, as in sour malt taste. It got better as you drank it, but it still had a very odd taste up front. Maybe the taps were dirty, or this beer just isn't good.

3.57/5  rDev +10.9%

When at SDBC I usually go for a pint of Pliney or Hoppiness, but it was Monaday.

Got a couple pints of Friar's while watching some Monday Night Football.

Deep copper color, opaque. Thin off-white head, thin lacing. Lots of carbonation.

Rather light aroma of sweet malt and hops.

Crisp and refreshing IPA, very balanced flavor. Smooth initial malt flavor followed by a nice bitter finish. Nothing really outstanding here, but still pretty good.

This isn't the best IPA ever, but the best that SD Brew Co. has to offer and for $2.00 a pint Monday Night Football special, you can't beat it.

Cheers!

3.28/5  rDev +1.9%

For a house beer this one was ok. I don't know if the batch I got was a little old or not, but this was not the most impressive IPA that I have ever had, that's for sure. It poured a decent medium golden color with minimal head and lacing. The taste was kind of funky; like mixing raw beef together wiht hoppiness. That's what leads me to think that I got a stale batch. I imagine if it were totally fresh it would be a good alternative to the very highly hopped IPA's out there, but I just did not catch it on a good night.

Friar IPA from San Diego Brewing Co.