Neptune's Spear Imperial Stout | San Diego Brewing Co.

Awaiting More Ratings

San Diego Brewing Co.
sandiegobrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by ehammond1 on 06-07-2011

3.7/5  rDev -6.1%

7/29/2011

On tap at San Diego Brewing Company.

A: Black as pitch with an equally ominous dark brown head of froth.

S: Moderately roasted malt with molasses and a strong dark chocolate foundation. There's a whisper of smoke with an accompanying earthy hop profile.

T: Lots of sweet molasses with a prodigious dark chocolate profile. Roasted malt presence is restrained, bitterness is at a lower moderate level, and alcohol is well hidden. Coffee is a distant memory, lingering just beyond the scope of recollection but haunting me all the same.

M: Full in body with lower moderate carbonation and a chewy, sticky, and smooth mouthfeel.

Overall: An enjoyable stout.

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

A - Pretty darned black, nice dark mocha head, leaves fast to ring. Not much lace. No lace.

S - Chocolate chip cookies, chocolate milk, hint of coffee.

T - More like Hersheys chocolate syrup with some malt.

M - Nice carb, med to heavy body, ends to the sweet but not in a particularly cloying way.

D - For the weight and ABV, pretty drinkable. Might have a few in a session.

Nice effort, Dean!

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Growler

San Diego Brewing Co.
San Diego, CA

A dark and thick black--I hate to use the term motor oil, because I think it's overused--but that's certainly what I thought first when I poured my first glass. And my second. And my third. And so on... Huge, thick, milk chocolate, tan head. Thick lacing down the glass. Fantastic!

Very aromatic beer. Roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, and a little bit of alcohol warmth. It's all here and all comes together very nicely.

A dark and roasty imperial stout. Plenty of chocolate and just the slight hint of coffee. Not a ton of hop presence but I don't miss them at all; the roasted malts and chocolate are enough (and delicious!). (I've had chocolate stouts that aren't this chocolatey!)

Medium to thick in the mouth; thick and somewhat chewy. Very nice.

A delicious surprise. I had no expectations for this beer when I walked out with a growler of it, but this is a great beer. It's beautiful and delicious.

Neptune's Spear Imperial Stout from San Diego Brewing Co.