Cherry Wooferweizen | Sleepy Dog Brewery

Style: Hefeweizen

Availability: Summer

Added by Mrose78 on 07-31-2014

3.84/5  rDev +30.6%

Cloudy red amber color with plenty of foam in the Saint Martin tall tulip. Lighter body than most American Hefeweizens. Not much on aromatics, but there's a whiff of cherry. Pleasantly frothy in the mouth and watery, but in a refreshing way. Quite drinkable and simple, but it's just slightly sweet and has enough tartness. Plus the lower alcohol keeps it easy and mellow.

You could categorize this as a fruit beer rather than a hefe. I would rate it higher as a fruit beer, but there is a little of the clove and the yeasty esters. It's definitely not the American Pale Wheat flavor. Flavor is exactly like cherry but with a club soda finish, and then the long fruity aftertaste. The fruit taste stays on the lips after a few sips along with a little malty sweetness. A pleasant surprise. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Whole Foods in Encinitas, Calif.

2.09/5  rDev -28.9%

Looks nice when poured; clear light copper red with orange tones.

Nose is a bit artificial sweet and not real pleasant. Not "bad" but doesn't really invite you to tatse.

Mouthfeel is .....wow. I write most of my reviews contemporaneously with tasting. Here, I just took a drink and spit it back in the glass. Mouthfeel is like light, semi-carbonated sparkling water.

Flavor profile is......well,...there is no flavor profile. I hate ragging on a beer since I don't make beer and can't say that I can do better. However, one who DOES make beer should have known better than to put this in a bottle. There is nothing Hefeweizen about it and it's really just not drinkable. I believe this is only the second or third time in almost over close to 10,000 different beers (yes, more than reviewed or "had" here) that I've spit out a taste. Again, I'm sure that the brewer is very talented but, this time, he/she/they simply should have known better than to bottle this and sell it to the public.

2.53/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle pour.

No head, watery/slightly cloudy reddish brew with hardly any nose to it.

Flavor is really watered down to where it thought I was drinking water with a drop or two of rather non-descript flavored dye. The brew was thin on the tongue as well.

I suppose it'd be good for a hot day, but otherwise I'd suggest avoiding.

2.78/5  rDev -5.4%

3.43/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev +19%