Black Pepper Porter | Bandwagon Brew Pub

Bandwagon Brew Pub
New York, United States
bandwagonbeer.com

Style: American Porter

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by Hojaminbag on 09-27-2010

1.24/5  rDev 0%

On Tap at Bandwagon Brew Pub, poured into a Magic Hat #9 Pint glass.

Please read my review of this place for more information on this mega-pan, I don't feel my serving was representative of the beer but ... well ... they served it to me, and continued to serve it to others after I told them it was off. I had this beer once before (about 6 months), and was nonplussed.

A: Zero head, Zero implication of a head, no carbonation at all, even when held to light. Beer was poured to the lip of the brim. Looks like blackberry juice. This is not beer. From appearance alone, something is obviously off about the tap setup, why did they serve this to me?

S: Hops up front, small amount, tiniest hint of black pepper in the back of the nose, mightn't have noticed if it weren't in the title.

T: Like a cold, limp, lightly peppered noodle. This is disgusting. Tell the bar-tender this, she agrees, and gives me a different beer, but continues to serve this swill to others. I wish I could give this a 0. Shameful.

F: Like a slimy, cold, dead fish.

D: Undrinkable.

This is your own beer, your pride and joy, your craft. You have the nerve to call yourself a craft brewery, and then serve this?

Respect. Beer.

2.78/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bandwagon's Black Pepper Porter has a dark brown body that is opaque, and a healthy looking brown head. A few shreds of lacing stay behind from the head that also features average retention.

Black Pepper plays a fairly prominent role in the aroma of this beer, followed by more traditional porter characteristics that include bitter chocolate and roasted malts.

Just as in the aroma, the flavor of black pepper is pervasive in this beer. Black pepper definitely dominates the rest of the flavor profile, which is mainly roasted malt and bitter chocolate. A hint of hop bitterness also lingers in the finish.

The mouthfeel is fine, and therefore is done pretty well.

The drinkability of Black Pepper Porter is not its strong suit. The black pepper flavor is too powerful, and it overwhelms the beer a bit, creating an imbalanced porter that tastes a little bit like a porter that was pureed with pepper corns. Although this beer didn't quite work for me, I like that Bandwagon is experimenting with their beer. Also, they seem to have taken care of some of the carbonation issues that plagued previous beers.

Black Pepper Porter from Bandwagon Brew Pub