Hefe-Wheat | Bandwagon Brew Pub

Bandwagon Brew Pub
New York, United States
bandwagonbeer.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by Hojaminbag on 10-02-2010

27%

3.25/5  rDev +8.3%

3.75/5  rDev +25%

2.34/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Pours hazy yellow orange with an eggshell white head of soft foam that fell slowly. No lacing. Nose is light banana and clove. Smells soft and inviting at first. Touch of bubblegum and nice dry wheat. There's a touch of acidity from a white fruit int here too. Apple and that lends crispness to the nose. Hint of cinnamon and faint faint spice. Taste is apple with wheat dryness and a cracker like malt. The cinnamon and the apple taste a little like applesauce. The banana and clove are muddled on the palate. The carbonation is not strong and it drinks like juice. Bit of a tickle at the back palate from some spice. Body is watery and the nose fell off around the third sip. It actually starts to smell like water. Weak tasting and bland. I noticed the beers haze cleared by the time I was done with a my tasting pour. So it finishes overly sweet but dry and recently clear. I wonder if this was supposed to be a kristall version.

This needs a lot of work. It could be an old bottle but there is place on the label where a date belongs and if that could have saved this, then it would have been worth it. It tastes like apple juice with cinnamon added and it doesn't have any of the qualities a good hefe would have. Had no body at all. Even the turbidity fell away with the nose and there was no spritz. The banana is like mush, and the wheat is like an idea rather than a major contribution to the taste except for a stark dryness .

3.75/5  rDev +25%

4.5/5  rDev +50%

3.25/5  rDev +8.3%

I am not really sure how to classify this beer. It is definitely a wheat beer, and tastes like it is somewhere between a hefeweizen and an American Pale Wheat Ale. It's probably a little closer to a hefe, so I'll go with that.

Hefe-Wheat has a cloudy body that is a mix of yellow and gold. The bone-white head has ok retention and lacing.

The aroma is packed with a lot of wheat twang and bananas.

The banana and bubble gum flavor in the beer is extreme and it is followed by a wheat-twang that kicks you in the teeth. One sip I like it, the next I am not so sure about. I would say that those two average out to be a decent beer.

Mouthfeel has the right heft for a good wheat beer, and I'm pretty impressed by it.

This beer is OK, but I don't think I would order it again. The extreme banana was a little bit much for me. I could see someone else really enjoying this one, so if you're interested you should give it a try.

Hefe-Wheat from Bandwagon Brew Pub