Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Bandwagon Brew Pub
New York, United States
bandwagonbeer.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by Hojaminbag on 12-20-2011

3.4/5  rDev 0%

This one is from notes. I had a glass of this at Bandwagon's Second Anniversary party.

Bandwagon's 2nd Anniversary beer has a body that is orangish-brown, with no head to speak of. This isn't a promising look.

The aroma has a lot of sweet malt and a kick of bourbon to it.

This tastes better than I expected. Apparently it spent about 8 months in Mckenzie Bourbon barrels from Finger Lakes Distillery. I'm not a big fan of that bourbon on its own, but it adds a lot of nice flavor to this one. A little bit of char and some wood mix with smooth, sweet bourbon flavors. Pretty much no heat is added from the barrels at all. There might be a touch of vanilla in there as well. The actual beer flavors bring a mix of caramel and sweet malts, with musty hop flavors that taste a little bit old.

The body has a touch of heat, but the carbonation is basically dead and the body is a little bit thinner than I would like.

The bourbon and other barrel flavors in this one are quite good, but the base beer didn't hold up very well to aging. Also I have to say, however, that this makes me believe that Bandwagon could produce some interesting stuff using the wide array of different barrels from Finger Lakes Distilling or even some of the wineries from the Finger Lakes region.

2nd Anniversary from Bandwagon Brew Pub