Double Overhead Imperial IPA

Very Good
Notes:
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 10 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.38/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I crack up bc my notes for this beer say "Joe said it sucks". Now, Joe kinda turned softee in a house surrounded by women, so let's peruse further into my own notes. You've got an almost light brown colored appearance, darker than average appearance for 2008 (this beer was consumed February 9, 2008 at the 8th annual double ipa festival in Hayward, CA at the Bistro). It was even lightly hazy and had a 1/4" white head. For the time period, they went heavy on the hops, even if bittering hops for aroma. Lots of that grapefruit citrus and tree greenery northern woods notes.

Taste revealed a lot of toffee/caramel malt notes, supplanted by what seems like a heavy dose of Cascade and Chinook hops. Grapefruit and tree bark/pine needles. The smell of eating a pink grapefruit on a camping trip in the Sierras. I wouldn't say this covers the alcohol all that well, its a little hot and stingy. Definitely some earthiness to this one. Its bold and bitter.

3.82/5  rDev +3.5%

Wow! This was an amazing offering by HMB. I got to try this one at the brewery when I was visiting family. It was a golden straw color with a pillowy white head. The head lasted a little bit, then died out to a laceing. The smell was very strong with hops and citrus hints. I'm definately not a huge fan of the hoppier beers, but this one was definately a good one, even to me. I think the big thing for this beer is the strong hops in the aroma and taste. It's a very in your face beer, named after an in your face place, so I guess it's quite fitting. If you ever get the chance to try this one, you definately need to do it. After this beer, I think I may have started to like the hoppier beers. Thanks HMB!!!

Double Overhead Imperial IPA from Half Moon Bay Brewing Company