Sandy Beach Blonde | Half Moon Bay Brewing Company

3.77/5
Alströms:

Reviews by czechsaaz:
4.56/5  rDev +21%

To be clear, I don't care for American wheat/Hefe, I think they're boring. But I love that Bavarian Phenolic Banana Hefeweizen. Sucks they stale quickly so the imports we see on the west coast are a shadow of what they should be.

Aroma had some banana and other phenols, that was my first good sign.

The beer was cloudy with a solid true white head, next good sign.

And the flavor was everything I want in the style. Tart wheat malt with barley sweetness. Low hops but detectable. Tons of spice and banana flavors.

Light and refreshing without being toothless.

Seriously, when a small brewpub nails this style and I get a fresh one on the premises, I love it. It doesn't happen often.

3.38/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the brewpub.

Cloudy bright yellow in color with a well-formed one-finger white head. Served with a lemon, which I should dock the appearance for but I won't.

Aroma is your typical wheat, yeast, banana, and clove. Nothing too out of the ordinary to note here.

Flavor is very similar to the aroma. It's a middle-of-the-road or better American version of the style. Not too much banana.

Medium-light bodied with a slightly rough mouthfeel and average carbonation.

Pretty good for the style overall, but certainly not mind-blowing.

4.11/5  rDev +9%

01/21/05- On tap at the HMB Brewery.

Presentation- 4 oz sampler at the HMB Brewery.

Appearance- Very light cloudyness in this light golden pour. Small white puffy head and light lacing.

Smell- This is one weird smell. It smells like the ocean! Besides the cloves, I smell what seems to me smoked oysters and maybe sardines? WTF?!?!?! Different, that's for sure.

Taste- Wasn't looking forward to the taste after sniffing this one. But, hey...this is pretty tasty. Lots of cloves, wheat and even a tiny bit of hops. Nice sweetness involved.

Mouthfeel- Limited carbonation which is odd for a blonde or hefe, but it suits this beer nicely. Very smooth.

Drinkability- If it wasn't for the smell, this beer would be a great one. I had a pint of this besides the sampler because I enjoyed it so much. Good deal here.

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

3.35/5  rDev -11.1%

Tried on tap at the brewery 3 Dec 2009.

Menu claims 4.5% now.

Small off white head quickly dissipates. Well carbonated. Served with lemon wedge. Cloudy golden yellow color. Smells sweet, wheaty, faint clove maybe, typical hefe. Medium body. Sweet tart, wheaty, slight sour bite in finish. Aftertaste is faintly lemony with a bit of clove. Refreshing, if not the most outstanding hefe I've had.

Sandy Beach Blonde from Half Moon Bay Brewing Company