Porter | Sudwerk Brewing Company

sudwerkbrew.com

Style: American Porter

Added by ffejherb on 08-04-2009

3.63/5  rDev +4.6%

On-tap at the brewpub. Pours dark brown with red sides along with a one finger tan head with some nice lacing. Aromas of grape, raisin, pepper, and some roast. Tastes of grape, fig, chocolate, and peppercorn. Finish is roasty and bready. Medium bodied with a full creamy carbonation. This is a decent porter and the best beer on tap at the brewery.

3.37/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I was surprised to spot a porter on Sudwerk's list, because I'd always associated them with German-style beers.

Served on draught in their Davis bar, it poured quite nicely into a pint glass - the head was a creamy-white affair, not as deep as I'd expected; the body is a dark chestnut-brown, clear and bright when held up to the light.

The nose was only fair - I can't help but feel that it would have been better served in a larger glass to allow some space to capture the aroma. What I did get was fairly predictable; a little maltiness and faint coffee scent.

It does drink very nicely, though the body is lighter than I was expecting. The flavours developed as I drank, so now I can report some toastiness with hints of toffee, with a nice hop balance. The finish is on the short side, with a little sweetness and some bitterness.

I was expecting a little more forward sweet malt and more body, but it's a fair beer, especially given the stable, which I associate with German styles more than British.

3.41/5  rDev -1.7%

On tap at Sudwerk on 7/15/09.

A - Dark brown with deep amber highlights around the bottom of the mug and solid one-and-a-half fingers of creamy tan head that retained well and deposited thick, ornate lacing.

S - Sweet chocolate malt with a hint of dry roast and coffee. Pretty sweet nose, albeit quite muted overall.

T - Roasty coffee bitterness with a nice chocolate presence and some mild earthy hop bitterness. Sweet lactic notes round out the flavor profile.

M - Medium bodied, although not overly robust. A bit thin and watery overall. Fair amount of roasted bitterness in the finish.

D - Pretty decent porter, but not in the grand scheme of things. Again, drinkable but not memorable.

Porter from Sudwerk Brewing Company