1001 Bandits | La Gueule de Bois

Style: Old Ale

Added by Todd on 01-27-2010

Reviews by Molson2000:

2.55/5  rDev -16.9%

From January 7th 2010 notes.

A careful pour of half of this 500ml bottle created monster head. There are also some huge bubbles sitting on the remaining liquid in the bottle.

A- Mud brown with an auburn tint. Giant head died down to an okay 3mm leaving sprinkled lacing. Subsequent gentle pours always ended in huge head. Pretty cool.

S- Malt and hops. Alcohol. Something reminds me of a pilsner. I also smell something rotten like compost or a fart...

T- Bitter all the way. Tastes a little soapy or some other sort of chemical. Tonic water.

M- Feels like a full mouthfeel at first but ends up feeling a little watery. Probably because of the high carbonation in a watery liquid.

D- I was really eager to drink this one but after my first glass, am not even eager to pour myself a second one. I'm having a hard time with the weird bitterness. I love hops and their bitterness but this, I don't quite understand.

3.72/5  rDev +21.2%

Bottle: poured a deep opaque brown color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of brown cigar with a side of molasses. Taste is a nice enough mix between some sweet malt with notes of brown sugar and molasses and a rich malt backbone. Body is quite full with good carbonation for the style. Not enough complex but very well done nonetheless.

Appearance is nice, I poured the beer in a pilsner glass. Gives out a cloudy brownish clolor with rusty looks add to it. I have a two finger of white head foam and it holds on pretty long There's a lot of carbonation and lacing covering the hole glass...makes it look a bit like pepsi cola...Let it hang out for a while and let the carbonation dissolve before tasting it...you'll taste the flavors alot easier.

Smells a bit off at first I beleive there might been something wrong in the making process. Then smells like malt, dust and wet hops...sorta wet dog. It may sound bad but it's ok...

The taste is a bit watery and has a metalic taste along with chewed tobacco and toasted bread. There a little bitterness as well and leave your palate pretty dry.
The foam is still in place. Quite nice !

It's not that it's a bad beer it's just pretty average.
Smells and taste like your ordinary first homebrew that went a bit bad.
Will try again in a few years because I like the product and the brewery and I'm sure something better will turn out from the 1001 Bandits when experience kicks in the Brewery.

Cheers Lads