Zone 7 Porter | Main Street Brewery

Added by BeerManDan on 03-04-2003

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 4
Reviews by BeerManDan:
3.58/5  rDev +19.7%

Just brewed and I was the second person to taste it. It poured thick and almost black with loads of brown foam. It smelled of roasted malts and chocolate. The taste was kind of weak and lack luster. Nice malt and some chocolate, but not an intense flavor. The sweet/bitter finish was good and the lace on the glass was so thick, that you could see everytime you took a gulp or sip, buy thick brown rings of lace the side of your glass.

2.01/5  rDev -32.8%

This arrived as a nice near black color with a small head that lasted well. The lace looks great.

The smell is decent, bringing a bit of coffee and chocolate. The taste is fairly bad though, starting with dark malts up front and quickly turning into a sour mess. The mouthfeel is a lightly hopped disaster and drinkability is no better.

4.16/5  rDev +39.1%

I don't get the bad reviews here. Possibly the batches these folks had were bad, or Matt changed the recipe. As for the version I had it was a very unique porter and one of the best I have had. Black body, thick head, and the lacing I will see in my dreams. as decorative as the best I have come across in Britain. Nose was light roast and a hint of vanilla. Taste profile was the same, but vanilla was a bit more forward. Nice. Creamy as heck and enjoyable. A memorable pint in one heck of a friendly pub. Love it there.

1.93/5  rDev -35.5%

I am not sure if I got a bad batch, but this has to have been not only the worst porter, but probably the worst beer that I have ever tasted. The color and lacing were beautiful and the smell was all right, but the positive aspects pretty much end there. At first taste I could pick out the typical flavors of chocolate, nuts, and coffee, but these were quickly taken over by an intense sourness that made it difficult to finish the beer. It felt like I needed a chaser of some sort just to get each mouthful down without holding my nose. Not too impressed and I can only hope that not every batch is this bad.

Zone 7 Porter from Main Street Brewery