Sakitumi

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
SakitumiSakitumi
Notes: This Raging Bull'uva Double-ish IPA is punched with Sake Yeast and Rice, then hopped-up for a cold-clip of counter-balanced bitterness... it just don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
Reviews: 38 | Ratings: 142 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
elNopalero from California

3.84/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Sock it to me, I suppose. Interesting concept but the delivery doesn't work for me. Pours a light gold bronze. Sticky hoppy with a sharp bitterness. Body feels light but resiny at the same time.

Nov 26, 2018
wmscottsimpsonjr from Missouri

4.12/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear straw with a thick head. Aroma is floral, orange, and tropical fruit hops. Similar flavor with an almost peppermint flavor in the finish. A hint of alcohol. Just a bit of sweetness balanced by light bitterness. Really really smooth. Incredibly drinkable for 9%.

Sep 07, 2018
MonDak_Joe1953 from Minnesota

4.11/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from 32oz bottle into glass. Bottled in 2017.
Clear, deep gold colored body. Each pour results in lots of white, fluffy head, finally settling to thin cap and ring. Lots of head lacing left behind.
Sweet aroma of yeast and citrus.
Taste is not as sweet as the taste and has more of a complex composition. Goes from malt to yeast to a touch of sweet at the end. Lots of floral and citrus notes.
Very soft and coating mouth feel. Slight touch of bitterness at the end. Hides the higher ABV well. Higher level of carbonation.
Citrus hops and light malt are there and balanced but it is the yeast that lends its floral flavor and silky mouth feel. Unique and quite enjoyable.

Apr 29, 2018
barknee from New York

4.45/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy 10k gold with fine carbonation and a sticky lacy head. Soft essence of hoppy resins, candy sugar and marshmallow; beautifully balanced. The nose reminds me of old school Rare Vos during the Ommegang days of brewer Randy Theil. The taste is magnificent with soft fresh hops and beet sugar residuals coating the entire mouth. The mouthfeel is insanely elegant; lets call it liquid velvet. The weight of the beer is not heavy nor is it unctuous but born of perfect weight and heft. I know a place where I can get lots of this and I will.

Apr 23, 2018
StraightNoChaser from Georgia

look: clear straw yellow with a big ass fluffy off white head and messy lacing.
smell: floral and fruity. Something else which must be sake yeast (I'm not familiar).
taste: Like the nose, but subtler. Easy drinking, and interesting. Lagunitas delivers as usual.

Feb 08, 2018
metter98 from New York

3.84/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: The beer is relatively clear yellow in color and has faint hues of amber and a slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high white head that died down, leaving lacing on the surface, a thick collar around the edge, and some specks of bubbles running down the sides of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of sake yeast are present in the nose along with notes of citrusy hops—oranges seem to stand out in particular.
T: The taste follows the smell, having flavors of sake yeast along with notes of orange citrus and hints of pine resin. There is a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is deceptively drinkable for an Imperial IPA clocking in at 9% abv given its lighter body (due to the use of rice adjuncts) and well-hidden alcohol—the only thing that's heavy about this beer is lifting up the 32 ounce bottle.

Jan 29, 2018
mynie from Maryland

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

(PREFACE: in my grossest fantasies, Judy Carne is my mom and frankly that means this beer makes me a victim)

Heck yeah, dude. This is why I got into craft beer: weirdness, large bottles, and a playful name that shitheads will pretend to be offended by.

Pours unnervingly clear and OE-800-like into a tulip. Yellow, but it does that thing in the top where you can see a rainbow because it's got so many chemicals in it.

Okay... this smells and tastes shockingly okay, and I think maybe I'm supposed to drink it right out of the 32 ounce bottle? If that's the case then the good people at Lagunitas should take some advice from Mickey's Inc. and give the bottle a big, cartoonish opening.

So, it smells like a rice lager with big yeast. That's actually nice, and surprisingly beery.

It tastes better than it smells. Truly a weird beer, and too intense for its own smoothness, but good overall. Malt up front, and then yeast just dominates all the way through to the very back end where's there's a pretty decent punch of sweet booze. The finish is straight whitepepper goodness, however.

This is a very odd beer. I don't think it Excellent, even on its own terms. I do think it's neat, however.

Jan 12, 2018
tkdchampxi from New Jersey

4.15/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

An hour after finishing this beer, I'm still excited about how good, fun, and different this beer is!

It tastes like a sake bomb, but made with a quality, subtle pale ale! Hoppy, dry, delicious.

My only complaint is that it pours with a bit too much head? And feels like it doesn't get cold enough?

Jan 06, 2018
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.41/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had been holding off on buying this one for a little while, simply because I have not drank a quart of beer in many years & I was not in any great hurry to do so. When the FGBS got down to their last one in stock, I swooped in and grabbed it, planning on it as a beer for some weekend day drinking. The current temperatures & associated wind chills have resulted in an unexpected day off so I am indulging myself with this one today.

From the (quart (!)) bottle: "2017 OneHitter Series"; "Ale with Sake Yeast & Rice"; "Be it the Beast from the East, Raging Bull, the Count of Monte Fisto, an Italian Stallion, The Bonecrusher, The Executioner, The Body Snatcher, The Greatest, the Cincinnati Flash, the dogtown Dynamo or Nonpareil, ... it just don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing (sorry about that, Floyd). Knock this back with a friend. Cheers!"; "Doggone Good"; "Life Is Uncertain. Don't Sip."

I was going to invite Judy Carne to come over & help me drink this quart, but both she & Richard Nixon, the two most famous utterers of "Sock it to me!" are both deceased. 8=( I am now trying to contact Jo Anne Worley.

I Pop!ped the cap & even before I began the pour, I got a whiff of not-exactly-vanilla! I know that smell as it usually comes from (gently) warming Sake in the microwave. It is not the preferred method for doing so, but I caught on to it at the long-defunct Chatterbox on Divisadero in S. F. back in the late-1980s. Mmm. My gentle pour still puffed up with two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, foamy, French Vanilla-colored head with great retention. Color was Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity, prompting an impromptu visit from The Gelt Gang of Mammon, Midas & Croesus, all clamoring for a taste. Plenty to go around, boys! Nose had a sticky, resinous pine quality to go along with the vanilla of the Sake yeast & now my mouth was beginning to water. Mouthfeel was utterly silky smooth, having allowed the rice to do its thing. The flavors were all soft and rounded, very pleasant without any of the bitterness that can sometimes accompany a DIPA. It was a very unusual combination of pine mintiness with vanilla sweetness as well as a cookie dough-like maltiness. Wow! This was simply a fun beer to drink. It was not terribly complex, but it did not need to be, either. The alcohol was scarily well-hidden, but since it was going to be more than simply a One-Hitter for me, I had no beef there. The smoothness of it was what really made me sit up & think. Most of my neighbors have moved on, but when I first moved into Chez Woody, we used to hang in the alley behind my house, sitting in folding lawn chairs, passing 40s around (& some other stuff). The cops gave us a blind eye since we were not loud, out of control or engaging in public urination (the big three for a bust), so summers were generally a gas. Man, if Lagunitas had released this quart M/Fer back then ... Even as it was, I often turned the boys onto some serious beers, quarts, 40s or just bombers. I always wanted to have quantities to share & this would have been enough for all of us. Finish was cool, minty, literally breathtaking. Phew! Sock it to me, indeed! Dang, was this good!

Jan 05, 2018
BeerDawgs from Georgia

4.14/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A 32 oz bottle released in 2017

L - Golden, with clarity and 1 full finger of head, some lacing left on top of the brew and on the glass

S - Usual Lagunitas aroma - citrus and piny hops, sweet, and barley

T - Hoppy with citrus and pine. Rice, sweet, and barley. Very tasty, and definitely a Lagunitas

F - Medium body and carbonation

O - An interesting project, but definitely Lagunitas all the way. Delicous yeast strain and hoppy. Fairly sweet

Dec 24, 2017
BEERMILER12 from Maine

4.02/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Pours a golden yellow color with 2 fingers of head that fades down to a nice cap that leaves good lacing

S: An interesting mix of the sake yeast and citrusy hops. Moderate sweetness from the rice. Underlying fruitiness

M: Follows the nose. Starts off with a mix of the sake yeast and the fruity and citrusy hop notes and then goes into some bready malt and rice sweetness. Very well balanced. Finishes with light bitterness and lingering yeast presence

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

O: A strangely interesting yet familiar brew (at least as far as DIPAs go). The sake yeast imparts some wine-like qualities and complexities as well as some more fruity notes that compliment the hops. A good beer to sip on and contemplate, both bottle size-wise and intricacy-wise

Dec 22, 2017
Cylinsier from Pennsylvania

3.92/5  rDev -1.8%

1 qt bottle

Pours clear straw gold. Sugar white head is pillowy and retains well.

Smells of cereal grains, straw, rice and barley malts.

Tastes of sweet rice, straw, cereal, lemongrass, and biscuit.

Medium body, tingly carbonation on the tongue.

Interesting hybrid beer, nice flavor. Drinks easy. Sort of odd, probably going to be hit or miss for most.

Nov 25, 2017
scottfrie from California

3.78/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

32oz bottle into imperial pint.

A: Pours a clear deep golden with a thick, dense, white head that faded into a thick and fuzzy film. Soft, sticky sheets of sticky lace were left down the glass.
S: Citrus and tropical hops with notes of rice, mint, melon, and sweet malt following. Fragrant but not perfumey.
T: Bready malt and leafy hops mixed with a kiss of sweet caramel/toffee upfront and peppery spice. The finish does has a note that reminds me of sake, with hints of rice and I guess yeast, that are similar to the finish of a sweet sake. I get hints of citrus and melon, pine, and sweeter topical hints.
M: Medium body with a light, but not necessarily drying, mouthfeel. Smooth soft, slightly foamy carbonation, and a clean bitterness. The viscosity of the alcohol is noticeable, but there is no heat or alcohol warmth whatsoever.
O: I love the idea, and would love to taste the yeast again in a more delicately flavored beer. Fresh and fruity, but a bit heavy and slightly malty. Sake yeast is noticeable and adds a delicious and interesting dimension, but it's definitely overshadowed by the hops.

Nov 16, 2017
BlackBeerPirate from Illinois

3.43/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Taste: tropical fruit, citrus, smooth, semi sweet, saki yeast, gently hopped. Fresh tropical fruit nose. Gold, clear, refined lace around glass. Medium/light body. Balanced finish. 42 IBUs

Nov 14, 2017
BlurryVisi0n from New York

4.09/5  rDev +2.5%

Served in a snifter right from the bottle.

Appearance: Super clear darker gold with medium bubbles to the body creating a white head which is subtle maybe rising just about half an inch off the body.

Smell: sweet hops and wine feel. Tasty scent which comes off a bit light.

Taste: Sweet citrus with hints of malt and hops. Complex taste actually with a good mixture of bitter and sweet.

Mouth: sticky brew with medium carbonation but very full bodied.

Overall: great pickup, my regret is now picking up at the very least two more. Not super expensive and extremely tasty. Always in a glass. Salud.

Nov 12, 2017
StoutHunter from Michigan

I picked up a bottle of Lagunitas Sakitumi for $8.89 at The Lager Mill. This one caught my eye when I was looking for a new beer to try and I'm interested to see how the saki yeast and rice works in this beer, so lets see how it goes. 2017 Vintage. Poured from a brown quart bottle into an IPA glass.

A- The label is nice and it works well with this beer, it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice golden color that took on more of a golden yellow color when held to the light and it had two fingers worth of slightly creamy and slightly bubbly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a nice mix of orange, citrus rind, light tropical fruit and green hop aromas with a little bit of floral hops showing up in the background and the green and fruit hops seem to show up the most. Up next comes a little bit of unique yeast aromas that must be from the saki yeast and they are slightly estery and that goes into the malts which impart some pale malt, light grainy, slight biscuit, slight bready and light rice like aroma. This beer has a good aroma, the hop profile is nice and it's well balanced.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops still being the first to show up and they impart more of fruity flavors this time with a slight peach flavor coming through this time and it's a lighter on the green hops. Up next comes a little bit of yeast which is lighter than it was in the aroma and it goes into the malts which are also lighter than they were in the aroma and they impart all the same aspects. On the finish there's a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness with some sweetness with a slightly fruity and hoppy aftertaste. This is a good tasting beer, the hop flavors is good, but I wish it was a little less sweet.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly cloying, a little silky, a little creamy, a little crisp, medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is good and it works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and it's a good example of the style, it had all the aspects that I was looking for and while the saki yeast and rice weren't super noticeable they did make it have a nice mouthfeel and a little smoother drinkability. This beer had nice drinkability, I could have a couple glasses of it without getting tired of it. What I like the most about this beer is the hop profile, it's nice and it works well with this beer. What I like the least about this beer is the sweetness, I wish it was a little dryer on the finish. I would buy this beer again and I would recommend it to anyone looking for nice and smooth DIPA. All in all I was happy with this beer, it lived up to my expectations and I like it for what it is. It's not a a favorite Lagunitas beer, but ti's a good example of the style. Good job guys, this is a tasty DIPA, keep it up.

Nov 08, 2017
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Lagunitas Brewing Company "Sakitumi"
32 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, coded "219 7 2 2207 2147"
$9.99 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness: I love that this is a 32 ouncer but geez, I didn't realize it cost $10. I hope it's good. Ahh, thinking about it that's actually not that bad. That's almost 3 12-ouncers so it's only $3.33 each, and if I got it on draft I'd probably pay about $8 for a 10 ounce serving so I take it all back. Anyway, it's poured a clear golden body beneath a full head of frothy bright white but that's already dropped in size. It's still about an eight of an inch thick and solidly covering the surface so that's good, and there's nice lacing where the head once was as well. The aroma is hoppy, mainly citrusy, with orange and grapefruit. I wasn't expecting that, I was expecting more of a rice beer, something with some earthy and woody tones to it from the yeast but without any hops. OK, on to the flavor... yowza! That's awesome. The citrus remains with lots of orange. It's sweetish, but not too sweet... standard pale ale type bitterness of around 40 IBUs but with some sugary malt to it. With the orange it's like juice, but not like a "juicy" pale ale or IPA, no this is different. So now I'm wondering where the sake yeast and rice come into play. Perhaps the rice is giving it that sweetness, or more aptly, what am I thinking?... how do I explain this... there's a lot of malt there but it's not too "malty" or grainy because of the rice which is lighter in flavor... which then explains the sweetness but that it's also balanced because it doesn't linger in the finish. As for the yeast, there is a flavor that I get in the finish that's unusual and that could be it, or that could be coming from the yeast. Unfortunately I'm not finding a way to describe it. Perhaps it's cedar-like, which IS what I was expecting, just not all of the citrusy hops, which, by the way, are very one-sided. I wonder what they are. Perhaps Mandarina Bavaria. It's a little grassy in the finish as well but I'm not sure that's from the hops, and it's somewhat spicy as well. Is that the yeast? As it warms it's becoming sweeter but somehow it does dry in the finish. Interesting. Being in the 32 oz. bottle it makes me think of it in a way as a new kind of malt liquor! I'd buy it, and it is strong right? What's the ABV? 9.0%, geez I didn't expect that either, but it works. Looking back I've still got a thin but solid surface covering of foam and the lacing is quite good - great appearance. It's medium in body and gently crisp with a fine bubbled standard carbonation. I have to give it up for them again, another great beer from Lagunitas. It's unusual, it's got their signature hop-print, and it's balanced. Also a great maltiness, even in this case where it's partially rice. How to review it though because it doesn't really fit into any known category... ? I'll just have to go hedonistically and based on technical merit. Extra points for uniqueness though. Really nicely done. I hope they bring this beer back.

Nov 05, 2017
SirFolmarv from Idaho

4.19/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A nice looking golden ale with a hint of red. A healthy semi quickly withering head. Telltale smell of an American double with the citrus and hops, but has a very light smell of yeast as well. The taste is fantastic as well. Something quite unique and a welcome twist on a great ale. It does have the apparent taste of sake which I wasn't expecting to that degree, but it works.

Oct 29, 2017
yuenglingfan101 from Ohio

4.65/5  rDev +16.5%

golden amber in color. Medium head. Not too hoppy but hoppy enough with a sweet citrisy taste to it . Goes down pretty smooth for a beer of its kind.

Oct 28, 2017
irongator from Kansas

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

The first thing hits you right away is the smell. It is amazing. It's like a hop effervescent bomb. It's like a hopped up, high ABV euro pale lager but it's crisp and clean and awesome.

Oct 28, 2017
LiquidAmber from Washington

4.02/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a medium golden amber with a two finger white head with great retention and thick lacing, really nice, creamy head. Aroma of pale malt, citrus hops, lemon, pineapple and guava and a hint of pine. Flavor is slightly sweet, lightly biscuit malt, citrus and piney hops, lemon, pineapple, light stone fruit. A resinous, almost aldehyde, hop bitterness develops into a rather hoppy, lightly sweet and fruity finish. Medium bodied with good creaminess. An interesting take on a big IPA. The hops, rice and sake yeast meld well into an interesting mixed fruit flavor that has the light sweetness of rice adjunt and unfamiliar, but recognizable flavor of sake. I was not expecting this to work, but this is very well done and the result is quite nice. The closest comparison I could make is to one of the rare white wine barrelled IPAs I've had in the past, although its yeast legacy is clear. The light sweetness helps the other fruit flavors to make the ABV dangerously well covered. It was kind of evil to package this in a 32 oz. bottle, because it is very easy drinking. I liked this a lot and would consider it again in the future in a more reasonable format. One of the handful of breweries I can trust for a great ale nearly every time, no matter how odd.

Oct 25, 2017
Tuck_leepulin from Texas

4.18/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

32 oz Bottle poured into an IPA glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear straw gold with 1 finger of head that leaves ample lace

Smell: Strong aroma of pine from the hops

Taste: Bitter and piney hops up front with residual bread notes in the middle leading to a semi-dry finish

Mouthfeel: Light and dry but lingering bread and yeast notes

Overall: A really enjoyable beer that does a lot of stuff at many levels. Plenty of hop notes to satisfy someone wanting a DIPA but with a very light body that makes it drinkable despite the high abv. Lagunitas interpretation of a malt liquor is fantastic in my opinion.

Oct 24, 2017
Lone_Freighter from Vermont

3.05/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured into a tulip.
The appearance was a semi-pale dark yellow to orange color with a finger's worth of white foamy head that slid off at a mild pace. Not much lace, somewhat messy.
The aroma had a sweet rice to lager yeastiness up front and then gently melding with some grassy to sweet grapefruit-like hops. Stiff caramel/bready malt came in underneath with a little dirtiness to it.
The flavor was mainly sweet through the yeasty to rice-like quality. Aftertaste of the rice, lager character and grapefruit hops.
The mouthfeel was about medium bodied with a fair non-distracting sipping quality about it. Carbonation felt on par. ABV felt appropriate. Slight tickle of some graininess along my tongue. Sweet rice-like finish.
Overall, extremely odd DIPA, Did I like it? Seems like something to get used to.

Oct 17, 2017
rajendra82 from Georgia

4.84/5  rDev +21.3%

The beer poured out of the hilariously over sized bomber, with a body that was pale golden in color and a head that peaked at two finger thick. The carbonation was lively and steady, and the smell was very hoppy and tropical, reminding me of guava and passionfruit. The taste felt quite sweet at first, as the Sake yeast fermented rice was quite evident, then suddenly mid-palette the hops started to dominate with a tangerine flavor. The finish was smooth, hoppy, long, and warm, as the alcohol burned. I loved this a lot more than I anticipated. A perfect marriage between a Sake and a DIPA, and a very unique beer.

Oct 14, 2017
Sleepy_Conscience from Virginia

4.95/5  rDev +24.1%

Lagunitas never disappoints me. Tastes like the love child of a great double IPAs and a can of Sapporo. Japanese beers are my favorite light lagers so that's right up my alley. It's more IPA than Sapporo though. I honestly don't see how someone could dislike this, even if you don't like IPAs.

Oct 12, 2017