Sakitumi | Lagunitas Brewing Company

SakitumiSakitumi

Lagunitas Brewing Company
lagunitas.com

Style: American Imperial IPA

This Raging Bull'uva Double-ish IPA is punched with Sake Yeast and Rice, then hopped-up for a cold-clip of counter-balanced bitterness... it just don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!

Added by Zorro on 08-27-2017

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.12/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear straw with a thick head. Aroma is floral, orange, and tropical fruit hops. Similar flavor with an almost peppermint flavor in the finish. A hint of alcohol. Just a bit of sweetness balanced by light bitterness. Really really smooth. Incredibly drinkable for 9%.

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

3.99/5  rDev -0.2%

4.11/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from 32oz bottle into glass. Bottled in 2017.
Clear, deep gold colored body. Each pour results in lots of white, fluffy head, finally settling to thin cap and ring. Lots of head lacing left behind.
Sweet aroma of yeast and citrus.
Taste is not as sweet as the taste and has more of a complex composition. Goes from malt to yeast to a touch of sweet at the end. Lots of floral and citrus notes.
Very soft and coating mouth feel. Slight touch of bitterness at the end. Hides the higher ABV well. Higher level of carbonation.
Citrus hops and light malt are there and balanced but it is the yeast that lends its floral flavor and silky mouth feel. Unique and quite enjoyable.

4.45/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy 10k gold with fine carbonation and a sticky lacy head. Soft essence of hoppy resins, candy sugar and marshmallow; beautifully balanced. The nose reminds me of old school Rare Vos during the Ommegang days of brewer Randy Theil. The taste is magnificent with soft fresh hops and beet sugar residuals coating the entire mouth. The mouthfeel is insanely elegant; lets call it liquid velvet. The weight of the beer is not heavy nor is it unctuous but born of perfect weight and heft. I know a place where I can get lots of this and I will.

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

4.16/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.94/5  rDev -1.5%

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4/5  rDev 0%

look: clear straw yellow with a big ass fluffy off white head and messy lacing.
smell: floral and fruity. Something else which must be sake yeast (I'm not familiar).
taste: Like the nose, but subtler. Easy drinking, and interesting. Lagunitas delivers as usual.

3.84/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: The beer is relatively clear yellow in color and has faint hues of amber and a slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high white head that died down, leaving lacing on the surface, a thick collar around the edge, and some specks of bubbles running down the sides of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of sake yeast are present in the nose along with notes of citrusy hops—oranges seem to stand out in particular.
T: The taste follows the smell, having flavors of sake yeast along with notes of orange citrus and hints of pine resin. There is a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is deceptively drinkable for an Imperial IPA clocking in at 9% abv given its lighter body (due to the use of rice adjuncts) and well-hidden alcohol—the only thing that's heavy about this beer is lifting up the 32 ounce bottle.

3.85/5  rDev -3.8%

(PREFACE: in my grossest fantasies, Judy Carne is my mom and frankly that means this beer makes me a victim)

Heck yeah, dude. This is why I got into craft beer: weirdness, large bottles, and a playful name that shitheads will pretend to be offended by.

Pours unnervingly clear and OE-800-like into a tulip. Yellow, but it does that thing in the top where you can see a rainbow because it's got so many chemicals in it.

Okay... this smells and tastes shockingly okay, and I think maybe I'm supposed to drink it right out of the 32 ounce bottle? If that's the case then the good people at Lagunitas should take some advice from Mickey's Inc. and give the bottle a big, cartoonish opening.

So, it smells like a rice lager with big yeast. That's actually nice, and surprisingly beery.

It tastes better than it smells. Truly a weird beer, and too intense for its own smoothness, but good overall. Malt up front, and then yeast just dominates all the way through to the very back end where's there's a pretty decent punch of sweet booze. The finish is straight whitepepper goodness, however.

This is a very odd beer. I don't think it Excellent, even on its own terms. I do think it's neat, however.

4.15/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

An hour after finishing this beer, I'm still excited about how good, fun, and different this beer is!

It tastes like a sake bomb, but made with a quality, subtle pale ale! Hoppy, dry, delicious.

My only complaint is that it pours with a bit too much head? And feels like it doesn't get cold enough?

4.41/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had been holding off on buying this one for a little while, simply because I have not drank a quart of beer in many years & I was not in any great hurry to do so. When the FGBS got down to their last one in stock, I swooped in and grabbed it, planning on it as a beer for some weekend day drinking. The current temperatures & associated wind chills have resulted in an unexpected day off so I am indulging myself with this one today.

From the (quart (!)) bottle: "2017 OneHitter Series"; "Ale with Sake Yeast & Rice"; "Be it the Beast from the East, Raging Bull, the Count of Monte Fisto, an Italian Stallion, The Bonecrusher, The Executioner, The Body Snatcher, The Greatest, the Cincinnati Flash, the dogtown Dynamo or Nonpareil, ... it just don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing (sorry about that, Floyd). Knock this back with a friend. Cheers!"; "Doggone Good"; "Life Is Uncertain. Don't Sip."

I was going to invite Judy Carne to come over & help me drink this quart, but both she & Richard Nixon, the two most famous utterers of "Sock it to me!" are both deceased. 8=( I am now trying to contact Jo Anne Worley.

I Pop!ped the cap & even before I began the pour, I got a whiff of not-exactly-vanilla! I know that smell as it usually comes from (gently) warming Sake in the microwave. It is not the preferred method for doing so, but I caught on to it at the long-defunct Chatterbox on Divisadero in S. F. back in the late-1980s. Mmm. My gentle pour still puffed up with two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, foamy, French Vanilla-colored head with great retention. Color was Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity, prompting an impromptu visit from The Gelt Gang of Mammon, Midas & Croesus, all clamoring for a taste. Plenty to go around, boys! Nose had a sticky, resinous pine quality to go along with the vanilla of the Sake yeast & now my mouth was beginning to water. Mouthfeel was utterly silky smooth, having allowed the rice to do its thing. The flavors were all soft and rounded, very pleasant without any of the bitterness that can sometimes accompany a DIPA. It was a very unusual combination of pine mintiness with vanilla sweetness as well as a cookie dough-like maltiness. Wow! This was simply a fun beer to drink. It was not terribly complex, but it did not need to be, either. The alcohol was scarily well-hidden, but since it was going to be more than simply a One-Hitter for me, I had no beef there. The smoothness of it was what really made me sit up & think. Most of my neighbors have moved on, but when I first moved into Chez Woody, we used to hang in the alley behind my house, sitting in folding lawn chairs, passing 40s around (& some other stuff). The cops gave us a blind eye since we were not loud, out of control or engaging in public urination (the big three for a bust), so summers were generally a gas. Man, if Lagunitas had released this quart M/Fer back then ... Even as it was, I often turned the boys onto some serious beers, quarts, 40s or just bombers. I always wanted to have quantities to share & this would have been enough for all of us. Finish was cool, minty, literally breathtaking. Phew! Sock it to me, indeed! Dang, was this good!

3.88/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev -5%