Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

B2K | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: Eisbock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-26-2002

Reviews by mattmaples:
4.19/5  rDev 0%

Are you READY?!?!? This big gun from Lagunitas is top notch Strong Ale style. If you are a fan of the Arrogant Bastard, this beer is its evil big brother. The 12.5% sneaks up on you; it really didn’t taste like it had that much alcohol. It didn’t have much aroma, maybe a slight malty nose (or maybe my nose is broke) but an outstanding smooth dense head. It has a darker brown malt flavor without being sweet. It packs a substantial 68 IBUs and finishes with a bitter grapefruit/citrus punch. It should mellow out nicely over the next year or so. If I were designing this beer I would have made it a little richer/sweeter on the malt side and given it more hop aroma.

And once again Lagunitas comes through on the value. Dollar for dollar you get more bang for your buck, good price, high alcohol, and great flavor. That great triple play that lots of us look for when choosing a beer.

4.26/5  rDev 0%

I just had the b3k and wanted to compare to my last bottle of b2k which is a three years old I guess. No comparison although age may have helped it. First off it looked picture perfect. Rich thick head which looked like it was not going anywhere. It also smelled great with honey, malt and a mellow but distinct hop presence. Wow what a great taste. It has some port qualities, nice alcohol warmth and a hop/malt balance that is truly special. I really hope this is the same beer and that the b3k will age this well.

B2K from Lagunitas Brewing Company