StereoHopic Vol. 3

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
StereoHopic Vol. 3StereoHopic Vol. 3
Notes: Taste what happens when the almighty Citra hop synthesizes with New Zealand’s newest star, the mouth-smackingly stellar Nectaron.
Reviews: 11 | Ratings: 22 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Spikester from Oregon

4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours clear deep gold with three fingers of white head. Swathes of lacing appear as the levels drop.
Smell is citrus peach and bread crust malts.
Taste is citrus zest peach touch of pine and bready malts.
Mouthfeel is medium and well carbonated. Finish is dry and mildly bitter.
Overall a tasty and fairly crisp West Coast IPA.

Nov 20, 2021
rodbeermunch from Nevada

3.85/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Alright I've had 4 of the 6 pack already, I feel comfortable writing this review up at this time. Summary: better than Vol 2 by a mile, but not as good as Vol 1.

Pours a nice golden honey color with professional grade clarity and 1/2" white head. Its a damn fine looking beer. The aroma has that citrus and stone fruit going for it. Orange, nectarine, tangerine vibes abound. Even the hop names check out, Citra and Nectaron, fitting.

Taste is nice, you get a moderate amount of each hop bouyed along by a traditional west coast light and dry pale malt and two row backbone that is crisp with plenty of levity to it instead of a maltier, stickier weight. I think this is the first time I've had the nectaron hop and I'll definitely look for it in the future because it does some cool stone fruit nectarine like things. After a woeful Vol. 2 effort, I'm glad I got this and will pick up Vol 4 should they make it. Can't beat the price $11/6.

Nov 19, 2021
defunksta from North Dakota

3.85/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a clear, medium golden to orange color with a strong and sticky white head. SRM of 8-9. (3.75)

Aroma: Moderate aromas of grapefruit, pineapple, passionfruit upfront, followed by a strong peach and pear note. Sweet tones. (3.75)

Flavor: The flavor follows with more citrus/pineapple, passionfruit upfront followed by a deep peach and pear sweetness. Finishes with the classic Lagunitas yeast and malt sweetness on the finish. (4.00)

Feel: Medium-bodied. Moderate carbonation. Finishes with a full-body and classic Lagunitas malt sweetness on the palate. (3.75)

Compared to Lagunitas Stereohopic V2 11/18/21: Similar pour. More fruity aromas (but also fresher). More peach, pear, and pineapple. Less orange citrus and blood orange. Similar sweetness.

Overall: A nice and interesting blend of the Citra and Nectaron hops. The Citra is there with the classic Lagunitas grapefruit citrus, but it also has a nice showcase of the Nectaron, which is the predominant flavor here. It delivers the passionfruit, pineapple that turns into a peach and pear flavor. Nice and sweet finish as standard for many Lagunitas beers. I would rank the series so far as V1>V3>V2. (Final Rating: 3.85)

Nov 18, 2021
AcidCatfish

4.82/5  rDev +22.3%

Lagunitas is my favorite brewing company. Their IPA was the first beer I actually enjoyed and from there my tastes expanded. Even though they are big, they tend to keep their creativity just enough. I've been sort of on a mission to taste test all of their brews, but mainly their limited releases. I'll admit, I liked the previous two entries in the StereoHopic series, but I was underwhelmed. I have been intrigued by Vol. 3 because of the new Nectaron hops - plus I always love Citra. I finally got my hands on it and decided I had to review it.

12oz bottle poured into a wide-mouth tulip.

L - Looks like clear gold. Look exceptionally bright. It's attractive though. Has a nice, white head with a color similar to heavy cream. The beer is pretty transparent. I can see carbonation bubbles at the bottom heading to the top. Nice lacing left in the glass.

S - Wow, how did they get so much orange and peach in there? It smells almost like a fruity drink. Smelling it makes me think it might be sweet. I can get a hint of orange, peach, and nectarine. No doubt that the Nectaron and Citra complement each other. It's actually so distinctly fruit-like that I think even a non-beer drinker could pick up these scents.

T - Yes, exactly what I like from my IPA's, and even more. Delicious. A unique kumquat-like quality to it. Almost exactly like eating a whole kumquat (you eat the peel and all). Further notes lead to peach bordering on a tart nectarine, but this is quick before going into a crisp, dank, and cedar dry character. Towards the finish, you get a nice, yet subtle malt character and finishes dry. A nice fun-on-your-tongue experience that is dry, but not so dry that non-IPA fans couldn't enjoy. Pretty juicy. Refreshing!

F - It is pretty light and mildly effervescent. I would describe it as medium-light bodied. Not very sticky and goes down smooth. I could knock back a few of these in a night and not get overwhelmed by the mouthfeel.

Overall: I really enjoyed Vol. 3. The other offerings were could but I found Vol. 2 to be too floral for my liking and Vol. 1 to be too resiny. Vol. 3 hits the spot for what I look for in an IPA like this. I enjoyed this brew more at about 3 minutes left out of the fridge, so maybe give it a bit of time out of the fridge before trying it. Definitely the best entry in this series so far. I'd like to see if Lagunitas uses Nectaron more, it's an interesting hop for sure. Definitely would love to see an Unlimited Release with a similar profile to this.

Nov 12, 2021
BB1313 from Ohio

3.81/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

Pours golden with great clarity and transparency; fluffy white head that falls leaving nice retention and sticky lacing.

The aromas are citrus forward. Some crackers and breads. Some caramel. Malts are there.

The flavors follow the nose. More citrus leading the way. Orange, tangerine and clementines coming through. Hints of grapefruit. Some peach and apricot. More caramel. Moderate bitterness. Subtle sweetness. Malts do their thing. Finishes on the juicier side. Alcohol goes unnoticed for the most part.

Mouthfeel is full-bodied with moderate carbonation. It's fluffy, creamy and smooth.

This is a solid citrus forward IPA. It's enjoyable stuff. Not bad at all.

Nov 05, 2021
TheSixthRing from California

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance - Pours clear and bright orange in color with an off-white, near finger width head that settles to a thin, broken layer of suds across the surface, developing into a thin ring around the edges. Fair lacing, with some broken webbing, lines and small spotting.

Smell - Decidedly citrus aroma with some underlying malt sweetness.

Taste - Citrus forward, with orange, tangerine, lesser lemon and a kiss of grapefruit. Malts sit beneath, but exhibit a bit of breadiness with a touch of caramel sweetness. Finish is decidedly citrusy, mostly carrying with the brightness, which is clean and has balance from the malty undertones. Caramel emerges a bit more as the brew warms.

Mouthfeel - Medium in body with fair carbonation. Lightly chewy, though still maintains a nice smoothness, with a slightly dry finish.

Overall - Maybe the best of the Stereohopic thus far. I'm a sucker for citrus forward IPAs with underlying caramel sweetness. They just work so well together, and this one delivers.

Nov 03, 2021
BerkeleyBeerSleuth from California

3.96/5  rDev +0.5%

Look: Transparent light amber with minimal head.

Smell: Dank aroma with grapefruit and orange. Sweet malts in the back. Typical Lagunita's aroma profile with a little more dank to it.

Taste: Citra hops deliver a nice orange flavor which is matched by slightly resinous hops. Some tangerine as well. The malt base is sweet as per the smell. A tad like smarties candy rolls.

Feel: Light mouthfeel, just slightly resinous. Goes down smooth.

Overall: This is my second favorite of the StereoHopic line from Lagunitas, this one is almost a lighter version of Super Cluster by Lagunitas.

Oct 20, 2021
DavetotheB from Pennsylvania

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

From a 12oz bottle dated the 230th day of 2021. Bottle sometime deep into August. About two months old. Had to dig this out from behind the Vol 2 at my local.

Pours a light orangish yellow with about two fingers of white head. Decent retention and lacing.

Smells of some oranges and maybe some peaches. Pine in the background.

Nice juicy up front-citrus, oranges, grapefruit. Decent bitter pine on the back end.

Medium bodied. Low carbonation. Slightly sticky with a dry finish. Bitter aftertaste.

Overall, very good-as expected from Lagunitas. Vol 1>Vol 3>Vol 2.

Oct 17, 2021
Star80 from Illinois

4.21/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours out a clear and *bright* golden amber color, and thankfully no hazebro….. Sorry, I’m hazed-out. I love an estery yeast like the rest of us but sometimes I just want a clear beer. Some nice lacing on the glass, for sure.

Hmm Citra and Nectaron from New Zealand, so I’m expecting a musky fruit with a stone fruit sorta vibe and based on the smell, that’s what we got here. To me, this already reminds of v1 with that residual NZ nelson/ white grape smell. I get more Nectaron on the nose than Citra.

Taste follows the smell with a balance of bitter and sweetness, with a tropical thing happening . Honestly tastes a bit like v1 and other Lagunitas IPAs in a good way. They all have a bit of sameness from their house yeast, malts and process. If you don’t like other Lagunitas beers you probably won’t like this one. They follow a particular form because it’s what we expect and it works.

Mouthfeel is nice , full but not too much and nor too thin.

v1 Stereohopic was great. It had my two favorite hops Mosaic and Nelson so it could do no wrong and set the standard really high, which the noble hopped v2 was much different and couldn’t live up to no matter what. I just don’t think of Noble hops ever when I think of an IPA.

Oct 12, 2021
sjrider from California

4.02/5  rDev +2%

Bottle pour- crystal clear medium gold straw color with white head leaving a ring of bubbles and scattered lacing. Nose is mild citrus with some herbal hop notes. Taste follows with hints of sweet malt and a mild bitterness that lingers on a dryish finish.

Oct 02, 2021
VABA from Virginia

4.04/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a clear golden color with a nice head and lacing
Aroma has citrus and hop hints
The taste follows the nose with a pleasant citrus and hop flavor
A medium bodied decently carbonated beer
A good American India Pale Ale