Cherry Saison | Epic Ales

2.86/5
Alströms:

3.03/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Quite attractive foamy pink brew, actually this is really crazy dark pink. There is some distinct pie cherry flavor, even a touch of malty sweetness. The yeast is out of control, though, I don't think I've tasted a more bitter yeasty flavor. Well, if that's what it is. Wheaty aroma is inviting, however. Pretty much undrinkable after a few sips.

2.69/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

Tasted 18 September 2015.

Pours a deep cherry reddish brown. Two fingers of pinkish-white head, great retention and outstanding lacing. Very nice.

Smell is mostly cherries, a little herbal sting behind them. Saison, you say? Not from where I'm standing.

Taste is unpleasantly sharp and bitter. There's an edge to it, a bite that I really don't like. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's an off taste, something gone awry. There's stuff going on behind that, mostly over-the-top cherry juice concentrate. But I can barely get there thanks to this nastiness up front.

Feel is fine. Prickly carbonation, medium-bodied.

This is no good. I won't be finishing it. The taste is sharp, and just not enjoyable. Maybe it's a weird combination of the fruit and hops? Whatever it is, it's not fun to drink.

Cherry Saison from Epic Ales