Vienna Style Amber Lager | Rivertown Brewing Co.

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Rivertown Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
rivertownbrewery.com

Style: Vienna Lager

Added by AleWatcher on 03-13-2011

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 3
2.45/5  rDev -8.9%

Appearance - pours a hazed, diluted amber. Fizzy finger of suds dissipates quickly.

Aroma - some grainy sweetness, not much else going on. Would have expected some degree of grain toastiness, but just getting a faint breadiness.

Taste - an okay grain presence. This has a sweet/sourish tang that I don't associate with the style, something I'd find more in a brown ale. Faintly reminiscent of brown sugar. A strange, sweet tang aftertaste, too. Some drying on the swallow and finish, not much improvement on the flavor though.

Mouthfeel - I think this should have a dextrinous smooth quality, but does not, that's my biggest beef here. Other than, nice crispness, a good lager smoothness, and medium body.

Drinkability - I dig Vienna beers, but I don't feel like I drank one. In the midwest, when you put out a Vienna, you're tangling with the likes of Boston Lager and Eliot Ness, the bar is high. Rivertown's a fine local brewery, but I'd pass on this one in its current state. Maybe draft is the way to go with this one, for optimal fresheness.

2.52/5  rDev -6.3%

Blind beer from nlmartin.
Popped it open, smelled the bottle, and couldn't make up my mind what type of glassware. I went with a tulip pint glass...

Pours a rust color. Brownish reddish... Lots and lots of big fizzy bubbles cling to the glass.... Many rush up and form a half finger head that quickly disappears. No lacing. This isn't much to look at.

Smells weak. Steamed white rice? Faint earthy and floral hops. Not much going on.

Some light sweetness up front from some rather unadventurous malts-- I'm guessing this is a German style lager of some sort... But to be honest, it doesn't seem like a prime example. Light sweetness isnt all the malts bring, there's also some biscuity characteristics as well as as light toasted bread note. The beer has very little bitterness, and the hops only really taste earthy.

The body leaves an oily residue on my teeth-- but I'm unsure how! There seems to be so little hops in this that it is inexplicable. The body itself is quite thin.

Overall-- I'd guess this is a German-style lager from a small brewery. I understand that milds pay the bills-- I think this beer could be a decent cross-over beer for some one coming from Miller Lite... Unfortunately, as some one coming from the background I come from, I wouldn't drink this one again.

--reveals bottle to be Rivertown Brewing Co. Vienna Style Amber Lager--

Hmmm... Never heard of these guys. Can't even find this beer listed! Guess I'll add it!
Now knowing the style, I can still say I'm not all that impressed. This is certainly not offensive, but it is certainly low on the flavor spectrum. I'd be surprised to see this scrolling higher than a B... But I'll start things off somewhere around the low C range. This is am average brew... No shame in that.
A-2, S-2.5, T-2.5, M-2, D-3

Vienna Style Amber Lager from Rivertown Brewing Co.