Oxymoronic Organic IPA | Natian Brewery

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Natian Brewery
Oregon, United States

Style: American IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by cbarrett4 on 08-28-2011

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 1
4.28/5  rDev n/a

Poured into pint glass during Portland Mighty Mites small beer festival~

This beer is SOOO weird it's good! There was not listing for abv, but it was at the Mighty Mites tasting so it should have been less than 5.6%. Brewed using 100% Palisade hops (seriously!).

First of all, I have only tried one other Natian beer and was wondering what all the fuss was about. Then I tasted this little rock star and had an epiphany! This truly unique and experimental beer is an eye opening experience and I look forward to trying more Natian brews in the near future.

Pours with a hazy copper hue with some light and dark highlighting. Decent head, great retention, fine lace. Very pretty!

Aromatically this is weird. Very weird. There is a funky, slightly sour fruit note mixing in the mild hop aromas and a touch of spice, honey, and forest floor. Truly intriguing. I get maybe a papaya, banana, guava thing. Fun!

On the palate this mind bending experience continues. These hops are truly unique. The palate takes a roller coaster ride from sour fruit to astringent grassy notes to spice and then a bit of funk (a good funk... like George Clinton!).

Texture is nice, good grip and intensity without being overly heavy or oppressive. Alcohol is kept in check, but I wonder if it is pushing near 6%... Finish is long and strong.

Overall this is a very good beer and I went back for seconds so that I could try it again. It is superbly weird and odd, and I love that it kept me on my toes. I had two other folks with me who also kept smelling and tasting it giving oooohs and aaaahs and a WTF is this!?!?!

Keep experimenting away guys!

Oxymoronic Organic IPA from Natian Brewery